Windows 10: Intermittent system unresponsiveness.

Discus and support Intermittent system unresponsiveness. in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Lately my system has been becoming unresponsive. All of a sudden everything will slow to a crawl, the browser becomes unresponsive, start menu doesn't... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Kol12, Feb 11, 2018.

1. Kol12 Win User

Intermittent system unresponsiveness.

Lately my system has been becoming unresponsive. All of a sudden everything will slow to a crawl, the browser becomes unresponsive, start menu doesn't open, desktop right click menu opens very slowly with entries missing, task manager opens empty and lot's of graphical glitches like right click menus remaining on screen after clicking away.

Sometimes after perhaps one minute the system regains function and everything that I been clicking starts, for example five explorer windows opens, browser tabs etc. If I lose patience a restart from the alt+ctrl+del menu just hangs and a hard reset with the case reset button is required.

Could this be a Windows or a hardware issue? I'm unsure whether this could be related to the GPU, memory,CPU or storage. Can I please ask for some help on troubleshooting this. Thanks. *Smile

:)

Kol12, Feb 11, 2018

2. Touch screen intermittently unresponsive

Thanks a lot, will try to.

maumastoks, Feb 11, 2018
  3. Touch screen intermittently unresponsive

I have the exact same issue with an HTC 7 Pro running Windows Phone OS 7.8. After the hard reset, the number of lockups (unresponsive screen) seem to not happen that often as before, but now I have the new issue with the "bottom bar" as you describe here.

The absolutely confusing thing here is, that I encounter the unresponsiveness of the "bottom bar" only with menu items,but not with the buttons.

An example:, if I start the messaging app, I can tap the "New" and "Status" Buttons in the app bar below the list of messages. However, if I open the menu by tapping on the dots "...", the menu opens, but I can't tap the menu item "Settings" - it simply
    doesn't react at all. The same happens, if I open one of the messages: I can tap on the Buttons ("Send", "Attach", "Speak"...), but tapping on the menu item "Delete thread" doesn't react at all.

This logicial consequence of this new issue since the reset for me is, that it is not hardware related, otherwise the unresponsiveness of this "bottom bar" would be permanent, not just for menu items.

Does anybody have an idea what to do to get this solved? I'd appreciate any help.

Franz Kohl, Feb 11, 2018
  4. Intermittent system unresponsiveness.

Hi Kol12

It could be just about anything causing this kind of problem. To me it has a smell of a program or driver having problems starting.
    You could start your computer in Safe Mode and see if the slow down is still present. Safe Mode uses minimal drivers.

This tutorial by Brink might help you find out what is happening.

Perform a Clean Boot in Windows 10 to Troubleshoot Software Conflicts Performance Maintenance Tutorials

How often do you use Disk Cleanup?
    How often do you shut down and start your computer?

Jack

Layback Bear, Feb 11, 2018
  5. Kol12 Win User
    Thanks Jack.

Would this issue not present anything in Event Viewer? I cannot find anything in there that seems related.

I will try to determine whether a program or service is causing the issue.

Kol12, Feb 11, 2018
  6. I know of nothing using Event Viewer that will flag or show slowness.
    I noticed you have a Samsung ssd. I know nothing about Samsung anything. They might have a program to test your Samsung ssd.

Jack

7. Kol12 Win User
    Samsung Magician is the official Samsung SSD software. I just ran the S.M.A.R.T test from within SM and have a status OK on every entry.

It's funny that out of everything Event Viewer can't pick these problems up. It's been a long time since I experienced system unresponsiveness and I have no idea what it was at the time.

Kol12, Feb 11, 2018
  8. Intermittent system unresponsiveness.

From my post # 2

Jack

9. Kol12 Win User
    Sorry I missed that. I rarely use Windows disk cleanup and rather CCleaner at least every week. I usually shut my PC down each night but recently I have decided to sleep instead. This issue has just started in the last week and the most recent installation was the latest Nvidia 390.77 driver.

Kol12, Feb 11, 2018
  10. Using Sleep uses a lot more hard drive space.
    Check and see how much free space you have on Partition "C". Windows 10 works poorly with less that 10 to 20 % free space.

If it was my computer I would undo the things that were just done.
    Sleep and updated video driver.
    As fast as computer boot now days, sleep is pretty much useless.

Ccleaner is a good program that I use every day.
    Disk Cleanup is a Windows 10 built in utility. After using Disk Cleanup you should reboot to complete the cleaning.

Another tutorial by Brink.

Open and Use Disk Cleanup in Windows 10 Performance Maintenance Tutorials

It's time for me to do a little sleeping.

Jack

11. Kol12 Win User
    Just about time for my sleeping too. Windows install is relatively fresh, about 40% usage on C:

I will see if there are any reports of issues with this latest Nvidia driver.

Kol12, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Intermittent system unresponsiveness.

1. Intermittent system unresponsiveness. - Similar Threads - Intermittent system unresponsiveness

2. System Slowdown and Unresponsive Applications

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    System Slowdown and Unresponsive Applications: System Slowdown and Unresponsive ApplicationsDear Microsoft Community,I trust this message finds you well. I'm reaching out because I've encountered a perplexing issue with my Windows 10 system, and I'm seeking your expertise to help resolve it.Problem Description: Recently,...
  3. Intermittently unresponsive keyboard and mouse

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Intermittently unresponsive keyboard and mouse: This issue started only after updating to Windows 11 and has now affected the functionality of three different MS Sculpt Ergonomic keyboard/mouse combinations.The latest issue is with a replacement/replacement Microsoft Sculpt Ergo Desktop keyboard and USB receiver Device...
  4. Intermittently unresponsive keyboard and mouse

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Intermittently unresponsive keyboard and mouse: This issue started only after updating to Windows 11 and has now affected the functionality of three different MS Sculpt Ergonomic keyboard/mouse combinations.The latest issue is with a replacement/replacement Microsoft Sculpt Ergo Desktop keyboard and USB receiver Device...
  5. Buttons on system tray unresponsive

in Windows 10 Customization
    Buttons on system tray unresponsive: All buttons on the system tray is unresponsive in my Windows 10. Couple of weeks ago I did an update on the computer and start having issue. The current issue that I have is the system tray icons are not responsive at all. I want to uninstall the updates or perform system...
  6. Cursor is blinking and system is unresponsive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Cursor is blinking and system is unresponsive: I NEED HELP!! few months back I downloaded Xampp software for my college purpose on my laptop and this problem started happening. My cursor started blinking and my system became slow. Every click would used to give a slow response and took more than 2-3 seconds. Even for...
  7. Windows 10 becomes unresponsive intermittently

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 becomes unresponsive intermittently: So this just started happening today. I had one firefox with 4~5 Tabs open and I opened Thunderbird. If I would click one program after the other, Windows would just freeze for a couple of seconds. The problem is not specific to Firefox or Thunderbird. It seems to happen...
  8. System Unresponsive

in Windows 10 Customization
    System Unresponsive: I have an issue or maybe a couple of them Updates will not install and increasing regular the system all of a sudden freezes. Mouse appears active but nothing opens. This usually happens in use but has occurred at start up with desktop displayed, mouse cursor moving but...
  9. Intermittently unresponsive/randomly clicking mouse

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Intermittently unresponsive/randomly clicking mouse: My problem is essentially exactly the same as in this post, down to the mouse working in specific areas but not others: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-gui-bug-mouse-unresponsive/95bcf668-6e52-436c-ab0c-b3608a045450 I have attempted every...
  10. Constant unresponsive system

in Windows 10 Support
    Constant unresponsive system: I recently upgraded from windows 7. After updating I ran updates as well as install the windows 10 drivers I could find for my hardware. All OK apart from one BIG issue. The system constantly freezes and a hard reboot is required. Any ideas on how to find out why this is...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. troubleshoot system unresponsiveness in windows 10