Windows 10: Intermittent UI lag - Windows 10 21H1

Discus and support Intermittent UI lag - Windows 10 21H1 in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello all, I'm a long time ex-corporate IT professional since 1999. I've built over hundreds of machines for friends, family and I've lost count how... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Surreal1981, Aug 22, 2021.

1. Intermittent UI lag - Windows 10 21H1

Hello all, I'm a long time ex-corporate IT professional since 1999. I've built over hundreds of machines for friends, family and I've lost count how many I have built / diagnosed / fixed in the office. Intermittent UI lag - Windows 10 21H1 :) Now that the pleasantries are out of the way... My current rig that I recently built is running Windows 10 Home 21H1. It's got more than enough power to handle Windows 10 and is also my gaming machine. ========== There is an intermittent issue which I can inconsistently replicate; where if I try and open say an image or video file from Windows File Explorer, there can be lag of up to 5 seconds before anything happens. The interesting part is, there is no consistence which file it will do it on. I do my test spam of trying to open random videos or photos from either my NAS or local drives etc (from within the same directory) - every now and again I'll hit that one random file where the UI will stall to launch the file. Here's the kicker ; if I disable my network card or unplug the ethernet cable the problem immediately disappears. The problem will also disappear if my NAS remains online. The UI responds immediately no matter how hard I spam opening those files in the above scenarios, but the moment the NAS is offline OR the network card is enabled / ethernet is unplugged I get the annoying delay. =============== I actually managed to resolve this a few months prior when I switched from using Mapped Drives to Quick Access within Windows File Explorer - but now the problem has resurfaced. This has been a rather maddening experience for me. In my 20 years of doing Corporate Information Technology I've never come across such a difficult to read problem. I have tried so far; * Fresh local profile * Factory reset of Router * Fresh driver install on the Network Card * Remove and Re-Add directories in Quick Access * Repair Local Network Profile (DNS Flush, Windows NIC reset etc.) * NETSH Winsock Reset * Rebuild Thumbnail Cache * Rebuild Search Index * Purge %AppData%\Microsoft\Windows\Recent\AutomaticDestinations & %AppData%\Microsoft\Windows\Recent\CustomDestinations directories * Remove QATItems entry in Registry HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Ribbon I'm just about on the end of my tether and would really appreciate assistance from the hive mind. Cheers, ~S

:)

Surreal1981, Aug 22, 2021

2. Windows 10 lagging ui

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I understand your inconvenience. We will assist you with it.

Follow the methods provided below.

I suggest you to follow the steps provided below to change the screen resolution.

Method 1: Change display resolution.

• Right click on desktop.
    • Select Display settings.
    • Click on Advance display settings.
    • Under resolution drop down, you can select the option 1920x1080.

Method 2: Update drivers.

I suggest you to update graphic drivers and check if it helps. Follow the steps given below.

• Press Windows key + X key and click on
      Device manager.
    • Search for Display Adapters.
    • Right-click on the graphics
      card
      and click on Update driver software.

Hope this information is helpful. For any further assistance on Windows, feel free to post your query on Microsoft Community Forum.

Thank you.

Syed Md Bilal, Aug 22, 2021
  3. Windows 10 lagging ui

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I understand your inconvenience. We will assist you with it.

Follow the methods provided below.

I suggest you to follow the steps provided below to change the screen resolution.

Method 1: Change display resolution.

• Right click on desktop.
    • Select Display settings.
    • Click on Advance display settings.
    • Under resolution drop down, you can select the option 1920x1080.

Method 2: Update drivers.

I suggest you to update graphic drivers and check if it helps. Follow the steps given below.

• Press Windows key + X key and click on
      Device manager.
    • Search for Display Adapters.
    • Right-click on the graphics
      card
      and click on Update driver software.

Hope this information is helpful. For any further assistance on Windows, feel free to post your query on Microsoft Community Forum.

Thank you.

Syed Md Bilal, Aug 22, 2021
  4. Jose Est Win User

Intermittent UI lag - Windows 10 21H1

Random lag spikes

Hi,

We would like to know more about your lag issue:

• What browser are you using when you experience a lag?
    • Does the lag occur in a particular game?

In the meantime, we suggest you run the System Maintenance troubleshooter. Here are the steps:

• Press Windows Key + X.
    • Click on Control Panel.
    • Select Troubleshooting.
    • On the left pane, click on View All.
    • Click on System Maintenance to run the troubleshooter.

Looking forward to your response.

Jose Est, Aug 22, 2021
Thema:

Intermittent UI lag - Windows 10 21H1

1. Intermittent UI lag - Windows 10 21H1 - Similar Threads - Intermittent lag 21H1

2. Intermittent freezing on Dell Inspiron 3580 with Windows 10 - Version 21H1

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Intermittent freezing on Dell Inspiron 3580 with Windows 10 - Version 21H1: Good dayI am experiencing daily freezing of my laptop.After searching other threads, I have removed and replaced my Graphics Driver. This seemed to give some relief, but the problem soon returned, and is now persistent once again. It seems to occur mainly when I am scrolling...
  3. Intermittent freezing on Dell Inspiron 3580 with Windows 10 - Version 21H1

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Intermittent freezing on Dell Inspiron 3580 with Windows 10 - Version 21H1: Good dayI am experiencing daily freezing of my laptop.After searching other threads, I have removed and replaced my Graphics Driver. This seemed to give some relief, but the problem soon returned, and is now persistent once again. It seems to occur mainly when I am scrolling...
  4. Intermittent freezing on Dell Inspiron 3580 with Windows 10 - Version 21H1

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Valorant Lag after 21H1 Update

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Valorant Lag after 21H1 Update: So I'm having huge fps drop spikes on VALORANT whenever someone fires a gun and I'm so irritated by that. Before I even update my windows, it doesn't lag at all, I'm getting the usual FPS when I fresh intalled Valorant because I quitted for 2 months after getting an error in...
  6. Random UI freezes bad lag

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Random UI freezes bad lag: wish i knew why my pc was stuttering lately. i get some serious UI lag now or like click the start menu button and nothing happens for like a minute or no windows load and shit like that then it happens all at once. i thought maybe it was hardware related but now im wondering...
  7. Windows 10 21H1, 21H2 and UI upgrade: What you need to know

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10 21H1, 21H2 and UI upgrade: What you need to know: Microsoft under Satya Nadella is more on the enterprise side of its business, but Nadella has finally confirmed that Microsoft is fully committed to Windows 10. Over the past few years, Windows 10 itself has been enterprise-focused and Microsoft is no longer releasing...
  8. Mouse lag and constant intermittent pauses

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Mouse lag and constant intermittent pauses: I’ve done everything imaginable to get this lag/constant pausing with my mouse. I’ve also avoided windows updates for a long time due to reading the numerous issues users had but microsoft forced me to finally update and I’ve wasted 2 days, days off, and still have yet to...
  9. Weird lag in Windows 10 UI

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Weird lag in Windows 10 UI: I've been googling this for a couple months, and it's really bugging me. The interface of Windows in my laptop will randomly drop the frame rate every other time I start the computer. Usually a system restart fixes it, but then it will come back after I put the laptop to...
  10. Windows 10 intermittent lag

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows 10 intermittent lag: I recently upgraded to Windows 10 from Windows 7 and overall I'm very happy with it. The upgrade was very seamless and the computer seems to be running faster overall. There is one exception though. I have noticed that after startup and for HOURS afterwards, programs are...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. 21H1 lag