Windows 10: [Intermittent] Unable to resume from sleep/screen off after v2004 upgrade

Discus and support [Intermittent] Unable to resume from sleep/screen off after v2004 upgrade in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Note that sleep/resume worked fine in Win10 v1909. These issues only appeared after updating to v2004. Dell E5570 laptop Laptop goes to SLEEP fine,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Campbell Kerr, Sep 15, 2020.

1. [Intermittent] Unable to resume from sleep/screen off after v2004 upgrade

Note that sleep/resume worked fine in Win10 v1909. These issues only appeared after updating to v2004.

Dell E5570 laptop

Laptop goes to SLEEP fine, but often is unable to RESUME/WAKE. Power light and backlit keyboard light up but screen remains off and system is unresponsive. I have to physically hold down the power button to turn off and fully restart the laptop, losing all my progress.

Sometimes the same symptoms occur after the screen goes to sleep eg turns off after a few minutes. The laptop is still on but is frozen, screen unresponsive, reboot needed.

I've installed all Windows and optional updates. I'm a Windows Insider etc but don't see the point in submitting "feedback", as this isn't feedback, this is standard Windows functionality that used to work fine and now means I can't trust my laptop any more! Never had issues like this on my Win7 machines. Below screenshot shows all the sleep/resume/failures etc recently. Was basically all green before v2004:

[Intermittent] Unable to resume from sleep/screen off after v2004 upgrade 43c2248c-8d83-4559-ac52-bdacfdaaad07?upload=true.jpg

I can't see anything obvious in event viewer in the lead-up to the issue. Thanks

:)

Campbell Kerr, Sep 15, 2020

2. Recovery Screen Appears When Computer Attempts to Sleep

I have the same problem, but it's intermittent. (More accurately: I haven't been able to determine the pattern. Likely affected by screen blanking time or system sleep time, as described by OP.)

• Dell XPS 8700
    • i7-4790 processor
    • 24 GB RAM
    • 256 GB mSATA solid state boot drive
    • 64-bit: shipped with Windows 8.1 Pro, upgraded to Windows 10

If you have any suggestions, please share.

Thanks.

damonbrinson, Sep 15, 2020
  3. BrooksyX Win User
    Win7 Pro Laptop crashes when resumes from sleep

Ok almost positive it related to the wifi card/driver. If I disable it in the device manager my laptop sleeps and resumes just fine.

So I guess first step would to be try to find a different driver and if that doesnt work I guess I can replace it. Used mini pci-e wifi cards are pretty cheap.

BrooksyX, Sep 15, 2020
  4. [Intermittent] Unable to resume from sleep/screen off after v2004 upgrade

Windows 10 Upgrade 1903 64 bit Sleep Wakes Up on Multiple Computers

Someone suggested I look at all the drivers list before and after the upgrade. I did, nothing found/changed in drivers.

What I did discover was that after the KB4503327 upgrade, if I put the computer to sleep mode (via power menu,) I discovered the computer wakes up after the minutes set in the "turn off screen".
    So, if the screen shutoff were five minutes and I put the computer to sleep, it would wake up after that amount of time, then turn the screens off after another time period of five minutes.

At this point, I have set the screen turn-off to "never" and any other sleep mode to "never".
    Then, when I put the computer to sleep, it stays asleep.

This issue was never seen until this OS upgrade was installed in the system.

My next step is to upgrade the video adapter (something from 2007) to a new and different model adapter to see if that corrects this issue, or not. For now, my work-around is to set "never" in "sleep mode".

catholicfocus, Sep 15, 2020
Thema:

[Intermittent] Unable to resume from sleep/screen off after v2004 upgrade

1. [Intermittent] Unable to resume from sleep/screen off after v2004 upgrade - Similar Threads - Intermittent Unable resume

2. Unable to access internet after resuming from sleep

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Unable to access internet after resuming from sleep: Hello! I have an issue which seems similar to what several other people have reported, unfortunately none of the suggested solutions seems to work for me. In our household we a TP-Link Archer AX6000 router which provides internet access for several laptops, tablets and...
  3. Display not working after resuming from a "screen off" state.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Display not working after resuming from a "screen off" state.: I recently upgraded hardware motherboard, CPU, RAM, M.2 SSD and video card also keeping the old drives - 2 SSDs and a spinning 2TB and started with a fresh install of Win 10 Pro on the 1TB M.2 SSD. I installed manufacturers drivers for all components and updated the BIOS....
  4. Why is there no sound after resuming from sleep

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Why is there no sound after resuming from sleep: To add to my ever growing list of annoyances and gremlins, is as the title says. Absolutely no sound at all after the computer resumes from sleeping. I know that some people are going to nag me about old hardware, but cmon, i can understand video as it evolved to higher and...
  5. Bypass welcome screen after resuming from sleep

in Windows 10 Support
    Bypass welcome screen after resuming from sleep: I'm not sure it's called the welcome screen, i have to press Enter or use the mouse to get in. 129395
  6. Bypass or disable lock screen after resume from sleep

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Bypass or disable lock screen after resume from sleep: I am on 1803 Pro, I don't have any password set but everytime the computer resumes from sleep I have to click on the sign in button. I had disabled previously the lock screen but it just came back randomly. This time trying 4-5 different techniques: netplwiz, registry change,...
  7. Bypass or disable lock screen after resume from sleep

in Windows 10 Support
    Bypass or disable lock screen after resume from sleep: I am on 1803 Pro, I don't have any password set but everytime the computer resumes from sleep I have to click on the sign in button. I had disabled previously the lock screen but it just came back randomly. This time trying 4-5 different techniques: netplwiz, registry change,...
  8. No wallpaper on resume from sleep screen

in Windows 10 Customization
    No wallpaper on resume from sleep screen: Windows 10 home with the anniversary update and all updates since on a Toshiba laptop. When I boot up from a complete shutdown, I get a wallpaper (1) on the screen and after I press enter the login screen appears with its wallpaper image. But, when I resume by lifting the...
  9. Wi-fi unable to connect after reboot or resume from sleep.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Wi-fi unable to connect after reboot or resume from sleep.: Hi all, got a bit of an annoying issue I'd like help troubleshooting. Updated my old laptop from 7 pro to 10 pro (x64). All went pretty smooth. However my wi-fi is being a bit temperamental. After boot up, reboot or resume from sleep the wi-fi does not automatically...
  10. Laptop not resuming from sleep after HDD-to-SSD upgrade

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Laptop not resuming from sleep after HDD-to-SSD upgrade: I have a new problem with my laptop which I had never had in the 3 years previously, whether it ran Windows 8, 8.1 and then 10. Usually, when I go to bed at night I close my laptop screen and it goes into sleep. I then wake it up the next day without any issues. But...