Windows 10: Intermittent Windows 10 deactivation after cloning hard drive and upgrading hardware

Discus and support Intermittent Windows 10 deactivation after cloning hard drive and upgrading hardware in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I recently built a new computer and cloned my old hard drive to a new hard drive. I have intermittently been seeing a "Activate Windows" prompt which... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Ankit Garg, Jun 25, 2019.

1. Intermittent Windows 10 deactivation after cloning hard drive and upgrading hardware

I recently built a new computer and cloned my old hard drive to a new hard drive. I have intermittently been seeing a "Activate Windows" prompt which sometimes disappears after restarting. When I try to reactivate Windows 10, it fails, and then I select the option stating that I recently changed my hardware. I find my computer to activate, and when I click activate, it gives me an error again.

I tried to call Microsoft Support, but they asked for product key which I do not have anymore. I upgraded from Windows 7 5 years ago, and I had bought Windows 7 from my university at the time. I do not have proof of purchase since the receipt was sent to an old e-mail account that no longer exists. My Microsoft account is linked with my software, but the tech support folks said they do not have access to my account. They gave me two separate phone numbers for technicians with that level of access, but it always landed me back with the customer service agents that did not have access. I have been able to extract my CD key using online software, but I'm not sure what to do with it.

How can I stop this activation error from coming up so frequently?

Thank you!

:)

Ankit Garg, Jun 25, 2019

2. Intermittent Windows 10 deactivation after cloning hard drive and upgrading hardware

I recently built a new computer and cloned my old hard drive to a new hard drive. I have intermittently been seeing a "Activate Windows" prompt which sometimes disappears after restarting. When I try to reactivate Windows 10, it fails, and then I select
    the option stating that I recently changed my hardware. I find my computer to activate, and when I click activate, it gives me an error again.

I tried to call Microsoft Support, but they asked for product key which I do not have anymore. I upgraded from Windows 7 5 years ago, and I had bought Windows 7 from my university at the time. I do not have proof of purchase since the receipt was sent to
    an old e-mail account that no longer exists. My Microsoft account is linked with my software, but the tech support folks said they do not have access to my account. They gave me two separate phone numbers for technicians with that level of access, but it always
    landed me back with the customer service agents that did not have access. I have been able to extract my CD key using online software, but I'm not sure what to do with it.

How can I stop this activation error from coming up so frequently?

Thank you!

Ankit Garg, Jun 25, 2019
  3. Cloning from 1TB to 2TB hard drive

Hello, Migrating a 1TB Hard Drive to a 2TB HDD is very possible.

My Rig started out on just 160GB, when I upgraded HDDs, I cloned my 160 GB into a newly bought 500GB HDD. (it was an OS HDD)

Then on the next HDD upgrade(I bought a 1 TB) I cloned that 500GB to a 1 TB HDD.

No problems at all.

From what I can remember the program I used was Acronis?? I forgot. But it ran the cloning process outside of windows. the cloning took like 30 to 1 hr. then I switched drive letters and the newly bought HDD is now my boot device.

lyndonguitar, Jun 25, 2019
  4. Sanhime Win User

Intermittent Windows 10 deactivation after cloning hard drive and upgrading hardware

Cloning from 1TB to 2TB hard drive

Whats a good free imaging/cloning program? I have a 1TB hard drive with Win7 and I want to seamlessly migrate my stuff to a 2TB hard drive. Any suggestions?

Sanhime, Jun 25, 2019
Thema:

Intermittent Windows 10 deactivation after cloning hard drive and upgrading hardware

1. Intermittent Windows 10 deactivation after cloning hard drive and upgrading hardware - Similar Threads - Intermittent deactivation cloning

2. Cloning a hard drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Cloning a hard drive: Original OS - Windows 8.1Current OS - Windows 10My Dell Desktop won't boot up. Diagnostics shows my HDD is OK. I was wanting to copy everything to a backup drive before I tried to re-install Windows 8.1 original OS. I pulled the HDD WD 1TB SATA, attached a SATA to USB cable...
  3. Cloning a hard drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cloning a hard drive: Original OS - Windows 8.1Current OS - Windows 10My Dell Desktop won't boot up. Diagnostics shows my HDD is OK. I was wanting to copy everything to a backup drive before I tried to re-install Windows 8.1 original OS. I pulled the HDD WD 1TB SATA, attached a SATA to USB cable...
  4. Cloning a hard drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Reactivating Windows after cloning hard drive

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Reactivating Windows after cloning hard drive: Hi there,I've recently cloned my 500gig hard drive onto a 4T hard drive. All of my files, folders, and programs are functioning properly, but my Windows 10 Home is no longer activated. I've attempted to re-enter my product key, but it will not accept it. Any help would be...
  6. upgraded hardware windows is now deactivated

upgraded hardware windows is now deactivated: I upgraded my mobo, ram, and cpu then windows was deactivated i don't have a product key as it was a prebuilt with it preinstalled i tried trouble shooting but It gives me an error and says contact support....
  7. Cloning Hard Drive

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Cloning Hard Drive: I use an ssd for booting windows and I had a bad 1TB hard drive which I'm now cloning to a better 2TB hard drive using Macrium Reflect. The cloning is almost done (90%) but I have a few questions. How does it work with the download/picture/documents folder in File...
  8. Hard drive clone

in Windows 10 Customization
    Hard drive clone: Hey: Can I create a cloned drive by cloning to a hd on my PC from my laptop drive & then from the PC to SSD? I only have 1 cable & my laptop will not boot. Both machines have win10 upgrades - 1 from win7 pro -PC & 1 from win 8 home - laptop....
  9. Windows Deactivation After Recent Hardware Upgrade

Windows Deactivation After Recent Hardware Upgrade: So i bought a prebuilt PC about a year ago, and recently decided to upgrade it because the hardware was outdated for the games i play. I upgraded my motherboard, cpu, and ram. When i first booted i had a blue screen (which is irrelevant because it was a bad app) so i decided...
  10. Windows deactivated after hardware upgrade.

Windows deactivated after hardware upgrade.: I recently upgraded my CPU and Motherboard, and now my copy of Windows 10 Pro is no longer activated. I already followed the steps on here, https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/20530/windows-10-reactivating-after-hardware-change. None of the steps seemed to work, as I'm...