Windows 10: Intermittent Windows Issues: Dead Audio/Media Files

Discus and support Intermittent Windows Issues: Dead Audio/Media Files in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; I've been having this problem for a few months, but it's becoming more and more prevalent recently. The problem: Sometimes, I will boot up my PC,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by SepticGlint78, Aug 21, 2019.

1. Intermittent Windows Issues: Dead Audio/Media Files

I've been having this problem for a few months, but it's becoming more and more prevalent recently.

The problem:

Sometimes, I will boot up my PC, and no audio comes out of my devices. Media files (ex: MP4 files, and YouTube videos) refuse to play. I check my sound settings, and the little graphic bar tells me that in fact, my speakers and microphone are picking up sound, but I can't hear it. A restart fixes the problem, but sometimes it happens in the middle of a video, or I'll hear a short 'beep', and then my audio stops working, and ditto for the media files.

I first noticed the problem when I started editing videos with Sony Vegas. I'm aware this isn't a windows program, but I feel like I should list this. I'd render a video, and then have the problem immediately afterwards. I've ruled this out as the root of the problem, since after I completely deleted all Vegas files off my PC, this continues to happen.

What I've done:

• Updated my audio drivers (actually, they're the latest version, and there's no option to roll them back)
    • Updated windows 10 to the latest version (didn't help)
    • Reverted to a previous build of windows 10 (also didn't help)
    • Updated my graphics drivers
    • Unplugged and troubleshooted all my USB audio devices. I plugged a test speaker in, which I knew worked. Still no audio.

The last thing I'm going to try before I go back to Windows 8 is to try AMD audio drivers.

Not sure if this is related at all, but I get frequent blue screens from 'DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION'

Help is appreciated.

:)

SepticGlint78, Aug 21, 2019

2. Intermittent audio with Windows 10

Hi Larry,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community, we appreciate your interest in Windows 10.

As you facing issues with sound in iTunes, do let us know the following to assist you better:

• Is this issue specific only to iTunes and particular file?
    • Are you facing any issues with sound in operating system?
    • What exactly do you mean by reloaded iTunes?

As a basic troubleshooting step, I suggest you to
    Run Playing Audio Troubleshooter.

This troubleshooter is an automated Windows 10 in-built tool which finds and fixes the common issues with the playing audio on your device.

Steps:

• Press Windows key from the keyboard, type
      Troubleshooting and select it.
    • Click on View all in the left pane of the window and click on
      Playing Audio.
    • Follow the On-screen instructions.

For further reference:Fix sound problems

Hope it helps. Reply to the post with an updated status of this issue and required information to assist you further.

Deepika Gowda, Aug 21, 2019
  3. Audio out of sync in video Windows 10

Hi,

Thank you for posting on Microsoft Community.

I would suggest you to provide some information to help you better.

• Are you facing this issue with particular video file or all the video files?
    • Did you make any changes prior to this issue?

I would suggest you to follow the below steps to try resolving this issue.

Note: The steps mentioned below are applicable to Windows Media player only.

Make sure “Drop frames to keep audio and video synchronized

1. Open Windows Media Player.

2. Click on Tools and then on Options

3. Switch to Performance tab.

4. Ensure that a check is next to the "Drop frames to keep audio and video synchronized" and "Turn on DirectX Video Acceleration for WMV files" options.

5. Click "Apply" and click "OK."

Restart Windows Media Player and open a video file. Ensure that the audio and video are in sync.

Keep us informed if the issue is resolved. We are glad to help you further.

Sachin V Rao, Aug 21, 2019
  4. Intermittent Windows Issues: Dead Audio/Media Files

Windows 10 Media file problems

Hi Pravesh,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I understand your inconvenience. We will assist you with it.

I suggest you to update you audio drivers and check.

Method 1: Update drivers.

I suggest you to update graphic drivers and check if it helps. Follow the steps given below.

• Press Windows key + X key and click on
      Device manager.
    • Search for audio inputs and outputs.
    • Right-click on the audio card and click on
      Update driver software.

You may also download and install the latest graphic drivers from the manufacturer’s website.

I suggest you to run Media player troubleshooter and check.

Method 2: Run the troubleshooter.

• Press Windows + X key.
    • Go to Control panel.
    • In the search box, type Troubleshooter
      and then click Troubleshooting.
    • Click on Programs.
    • Under Media player, Click on Windows media player
      and run the troubleshooter.

Hope it helps. Do let us know if your issue is resolved. For any further query, feel free to contact us.

Thank you.

Syed Md Bilal, Aug 21, 2019
Thema:

Intermittent Windows Issues: Dead Audio/Media Files

1. Intermittent Windows Issues: Dead Audio/Media Files - Similar Threads - Intermittent Issues Dead

2. Intermittent Audio Issues: Cybernetic squirrel-voice.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Intermittent Audio Issues: Cybernetic squirrel-voice.: I've got a super weird technical issue that I wanted to share with you folks, to see if my thinking is correct. A laptop I'm working on has an intermittent issue that causes my voice to become high-pitched it's like listening to a high-pitched cybernetic squirrel, that...
  3. Intermittent Audio Issues: Cybernetic squirrel-voice.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Intermittent Audio Issues: Cybernetic squirrel-voice.: I've got a super weird technical issue that I wanted to share with you folks, to see if my thinking is correct. A laptop I'm working on has an intermittent issue that causes my voice to become high-pitched it's like listening to a high-pitched cybernetic squirrel, that...
  4. Intermittent Audio Issues Squirrels

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Intermittent Audio Issues Squirrels: I've got a super weird technical issue that I wanted to share with you folks, to see if my thinking is correct. A laptop I'm working on has an intermittent issue that causes my voice to become high-pitched it's like listening to a high-pitched cybernetic squirrel, that...
  5. Intermittent Audio Issues Squirrels

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Intermittent Audio Issues Squirrels: I've got a super weird technical issue that I wanted to share with you folks, to see if my thinking is correct. A laptop I'm working on has an intermittent issue that causes my voice to become high-pitched it's like listening to a high-pitched cybernetic squirrel, that...
  6. Intermittent bluetooth audio

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Intermittent bluetooth audio: Hey community need help My laptop model is 15r203Tx and the same model is of my brother's laptop. Yet on his laptop my bluetooth earphone work perfectly fine. But on my laptop, it gives intermittent audio. Only on a specific orientation of the headphones, i can hear...
  7. Audio dead

Audio dead: someone pls help me and pls stick to it ive been replying to people on my question but they never respond . so yea so i had update problem which i solved with windows update assistant . after this update when ever i start my laptop when i play a audio file i cant hear...
  8. Audio Dead

Audio Dead: so i have a laptop - hp pavilion 15-cc129tx i updated to win version 1809 but hp does not give audio driver for 1809 version i started my laptop 20 minz ago . i opened a different user there audio was working fine . i shutdown-ed and started and loged into another user to...
  9. Media player audio book issues

in Windows 10 Customization
    Media player audio book issues: Hi, I am trying to download an audio book on CD to media player. It continually mixes up the discs and put the tracks of the same number together so the book is out of order. Is there some setting to tell the player to rip the cd and keep the tracks of the cd in numerical...
  10. Strange Audio Issue, Intermittent audio in WMP, and FOOBAR 2k

Strange Audio Issue, Intermittent audio in WMP, and FOOBAR 2k: Okay so this started all of a sudden with no warning or anything. I was playing a game while listening to music on WMP, then suddenly my computer started freezing up and being slow. The audio would cut in and out of WMP, and Discord a VOIP app. I finally restarted my computer...