Windows 10: Intermittently unresponsive/randomly clicking mouse

Discus and support Intermittently unresponsive/randomly clicking mouse in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; My problem is essentially exactly the same as in this post, down to the mouse working in specific areas but not others:... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by deskbot006, May 22, 2020.

1. Intermittently unresponsive/randomly clicking mouse

My problem is essentially exactly the same as in this post, down to the mouse working in specific areas but not others: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...sponsive/95bcf668-6e52-436c-ab0c-b3608a045450

I have attempted every offered solution on that page, to no avail. The mouse intermittently becomes unresponsive, moving correctly but completely unresponsive to clicks. When it is responsive, more often that not it's constantly or randomly right clicking on its own.

I have tested with multiple different models and brands of mice, so it's not a problem with the physical mouse itself.

It's rendering my PC unusable, so I'm a bit desperate.

:)

deskbot006, May 22, 2020

2. Unresponsive Mouse Clicks

Hi Jerry,

Welcome to Microsoft Community and we appreciate your interest in Windows 10.

The issue you are facing could be due to the Mouse driver is being outdated. Let’s try fixing the issue.

To understand the issue better, I would like to know what is the exact model of the optical mouse?

For now let's try simple steps and check if this helps in fixing the issue.

Step 1.

I would suggest you to run Hardware troubleshooter to diagnose the exact issue.

• Press Windows + X keys on the keyboard and select Control Panel.

• Type Troubleshooting in the search bar on the Control Panel.

• Click on Small icon on the left navigation pane.

• Click on Troubleshooting and click on
      Hardware and Device.

• Click on Advanced on the Hardware troubleshooter dialog box and click on Run as administrator (Enter the credentials if required).

• Click on Next and follow onscreen instruction complete the Hardware troubleshooter.
    If the issue still persist, try the below step:

Step 2.

I recommend you to go to the below link. Now locate for the mouse model and try downloading the driver and install the same.

http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/en-us/downloads

Hope this helps. Post us with the status we will be glad to help you.

Billion Debbarma, May 22, 2020
  3. Roohi_Taj Win User
    Mouse started double clicking on single click file randomly.

Hi KathZ,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

Could you please help me with the below questions:

• Which version of Windows you are using? (To check, type: winver in start menu and hit enter.)
    • Does this issue occur on a different mouse?

This issue happens, if there is mouse/hardware issue or it can be settings issue. I would suggest you to follow the troubleshooting steps as mentioned below:

Method 1: Restore the defaults.

1. Press Windows
      and E key together on your Keyboard.
    2. Go to View tab on the top.
    3. Click on Options > Click on Change folder and Search options.
    4. Click on Restore Defaults.
      Click on Apply and Ok.

Method 2: Change the Mouse settings.

1. Click on the Settings icon from the start menu.
    2. Click on Devices > Click on Mouse from the left panel of the window.
    3. Click on Additional Mouse Options from the right pane.
    4. This will open the Mouse Properties window, go to Buttons tab.
    5. Under the Double click speed, drag the slider to the left to slow down the double click speed.
    6. Next, go to Pointer options tab, uncheck the "Enhance Pointer Precision" to
      disable pointer precision to slow down the mouse.

For more information, I would suggest you to follow the
    steps
    provided in the post on 'Windows 10 mouse has started double clicking on single click randomly'.

Hope it helps.

Let us know if you got the help you needed by clicking Yes or No.

Roohi Taj S

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Roohi_Taj, May 22, 2020
  4. Mark Isi Win User

Intermittently unresponsive/randomly clicking mouse

Mouse randomly clicking?

Thanks for following up. Based on the information you provided, the first thing that I can suggest to you is the hardware and Devices troubleshooter. Here are the steps:

• Type Troubleshooting in the Cortana Search bar and press Enter.
    • Click View All.
    • From the list of troubleshooters, click Hardware and Devices
      to run the troubleshooter.

Once done, please let us know the outcome, or if you come up with any error message so we can further investigate.

If the issue still persists, I suggest that you uninstall and reinstall drivers from the manufacturer's website manually. See
    How to find and download drivers from the manufacturers website
    section of this article from
    Andre Da Costa for more information and steps. Make sure that you choose the most stable driver for your mouse, even if it is not the latest version, and see how it goes.

Keep us on the loop for updates regarding this case.

Mark Isi, May 22, 2020
Thema:

Intermittently unresponsive/randomly clicking mouse

1. Intermittently unresponsive/randomly clicking mouse - Similar Threads - Intermittently unresponsive randomly

2. Intermittently unresponsive keyboard and mouse

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Intermittently unresponsive keyboard and mouse: This issue started only after updating to Windows 11 and has now affected the functionality of three different MS Sculpt Ergonomic keyboard/mouse combinations.The latest issue is with a replacement/replacement Microsoft Sculpt Ergo Desktop keyboard and USB receiver Device...
  3. Intermittently unresponsive keyboard and mouse

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Intermittently unresponsive keyboard and mouse: This issue started only after updating to Windows 11 and has now affected the functionality of three different MS Sculpt Ergonomic keyboard/mouse combinations.The latest issue is with a replacement/replacement Microsoft Sculpt Ergo Desktop keyboard and USB receiver Device...
  4. Mouse intermittently adds an extra click!

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Mouse intermittently adds an extra click!: Hello, I have an intermittent mouse problem: when I left- or right-click the mouse sometimes adds an extra left click upon release of the button. For example, I left-click on a menu item and it turns into a double-click. This creates chaos. The misbehavior will happen for 4...
  5. Mouse intermittently adds an extra click!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Mouse intermittently adds an extra click!: Hello, I have an intermittent mouse problem: when I left- or right-click the mouse sometimes adds an extra left click upon release of the button. For example, I left-click on a menu item and it turns into a double-click. This creates chaos. The misbehavior will happen for 4...
  6. Mouse clicks randomly

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Mouse clicks randomly: Last night and currently, my wireless mouse has been randomly clicking. It only really happens in Chrome. Tested with edge and a few games as well as desktop. Nothing seems to happen. But when I use chrome it just clicks randomly. I tried checking for viruses using defender...
  7. Left mouse click works intermittently

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Left mouse click works intermittently: Hi All, I know this question is everywhere but i cannot find any answer that would help me solve the issue. I gave up and reinstalled my W10 on my desktop. It solved the issue...until i unplugged the mouse to use it on my laptop (also W10). When i plugged it back to my...
  8. random mouse button clicks

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    random mouse button clicks: random mouse button clicks https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-hardware/random-mouse-button-clicks/98d1dbfe-2154-4d17-a708-d7fa3ee5a8d3
  9. Mouse randomly double-clicking on single click

in Windows 10 Support
    Mouse randomly double-clicking on single click: Hi there. I have a generic logitech mouse and since I moved to Windows 10, it's been behaving really weirdly. I am not sure if its the issue with the mouse or is it due to something on Windows 10. When I click on an icon on the desktop with a single click, it sometimes...
  10. Intermittent system unresponsiveness.

in Windows 10 Support
    Intermittent system unresponsiveness.: Lately my system has been becoming unresponsive. All of a sudden everything will slow to a crawl, the browser becomes unresponsive, start menu doesn't open, desktop right click menu opens very slowly with entries missing, task manager opens empty and lot's of graphical...