Windows 10: Internal hard drive can't be selected to create a system image on.

Discus and support Internal hard drive can't be selected to create a system image on. in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; So currently I am trying to create a system image of my PC on a hard drive. When I go to select my HDD D: as the location for backup, the options were... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by ThomasHoang, Jan 5, 2020.

1. Internal hard drive can't be selected to create a system image on.

So currently I am trying to create a system image of my PC on a hard drive. When I go to select my HDD D: as the location for backup, the options were only my SSD E:, and after looking through some answers online I tried to reformat my hard drive which again still wouldn't let me put my system image on. Currently, the OS for the PC sits on a second SSD C:, and so I plugged in an external USB G: to see if I could backup to that and when I went to select what drive to backup, I can see that the HDD D: is somehow associated with the system, which shouldn't be the case as I have completely formatted it. Currently sitting on the HDD D: is some shadowplay footage and some steam games, other than that nothing else sits on it. I was just wondering if there was someway to make the HDD D: not associated with the system anymore so I can store my backup inside it. Thank you for taking the time to have a look through my enquiries.

Internal hard drive can't be selected to create a system image on. 7a8effae-f845-40c1-b214-6fb376ad6798?upload=true.png

Internal hard drive can't be selected to create a system image on. 3f652c4c-8282-414f-a31c-b513556aac1e?upload=true.jpg

:)

ThomasHoang, Jan 5, 2020

2. Creating a system image

Windows 10 is currently installed, what im doing is im creating a system image on a 1TB external USB HDD, i want to install windows 7 alongside windows 10. i was told that in order to accomplish this feat, i would have to wipe windows 10, install windows
    7, and then 10 again. i just was wondering if it is different with system images.

Tyler Tomko, Jan 5, 2020
  3. smb1 Win User
    Create System Image in Win10

When I create a system image, both the C drive and a second internal drive are selected for imaging. How do I only select the C drive for imaging?

smb1, Jan 5, 2020
  4. FX-GMC Win User

Internal hard drive can't be selected to create a system image on.

2 of my internal hard drives, not been reconized!!

Try using diskpart to convert one of the drives to basic disk

Code: diskpart list disk (verify this with disk manager to make sure the drive numbers haven't changed. The two disks you are trying to clean should have a * in the Dyn column) select disk # (#= the disk number) convert basic clean create partition primary select part 1 format fs=ntfs quick[/quote]

FX-GMC, Jan 5, 2020
Thema:

Internal hard drive can't be selected to create a system image on.

1. Internal hard drive can't be selected to create a system image on. - Similar Threads - Internal hard drive

2. Why Create a System Image detect my internal hard drive partition F: as a System Drive ?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Why Create a System Image detect my internal hard drive partition F: as a System Drive ?: Hi I was trying to create a system image via Backup and Restore Windows 7 , but it does detect my internal hard drive partition F: as a System Drive! and the program didn't allow me to exclude the drive F: from the system image creation , Currently Windows system is located...
  3. Why Create a System Image detect my internal hard drive partition F: as a System Drive ?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why Create a System Image detect my internal hard drive partition F: as a System Drive ?: Hi I was trying to create a system image via Backup and Restore Windows 7 , but it does detect my internal hard drive partition F: as a System Drive! and the program didn't allow me to exclude the drive F: from the system image creation , Currently Windows system is located...
  4. Why Create a System Image detect my internal hard drive partition F: as a System Drive ?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Drives selection for system image

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Drives selection for system image: Hi. I am trying to make a system image but I'm troubled with something i haven't experienced before.When I installed windows on my current PC, i had all system files installed on an SSD which is Disk C. That's the only disk i actually care about for the system image, as i...
  6. Drives selection for system image

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Drives selection for system image: Hi. I am trying to make a system image but I'm troubled with something i haven't experienced before.When I installed windows on my current PC, i had all system files installed on an SSD which is Disk C. That's the only disk i actually care about for the system image, as i...
  7. Drives selection for system image

8. Hard drive is not visible in dropdown for creating system image.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Hard drive is not visible in dropdown for creating system image.: Hi,I have installed 2 SSD and 1 Hard drive, I am running windows 11 OS, previously I was able to create system image on my hard drive but now when I open the app to create a new backup, it don't show my hard drive in dropdown.As you can see there is a 2 TB Hard drive E...
  9. Can't Create System Image on External Hard Drive

Can't Create System Image on External Hard Drive: Recently my ssd had started failing so I replaced it with 2 new ones. I'm trying to transfer the os from the old ssd to the new one. I read online that I need to make a system repair disc and a system image. I was able to create the system repair disc with no issues however I...
  10. Change default selected drives for creating system image

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Change default selected drives for creating system image: Hello, I'm trying to make a system image, but windows 10 automatically selects a drive that isn't needed for the system image. Since it is grayed out, I can't deselect it. I only want to image my C:, D: and system reserve drives. The program keeps adding my E: drive which...