Windows 10: Internal hard drive changed to read only after upgrade from 1803 to 1903

Discus and support Internal hard drive changed to read only after upgrade from 1803 to 1903 in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have been a windows user since the late 80s where building pcs was once very complicated. I was even part of TechNet which I sadly miss. I over the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Lord-Xanthor II, Oct 3, 2020.

1. Internal hard drive changed to read only after upgrade from 1803 to 1903

I have been a windows user since the late 80s where building pcs was once very complicated. I was even part of TechNet which I sadly miss. I over the years have seen every type of issue, bug, change and easily made a work around. This time, Im clueless.

Normally when a file or folder becomes read only, or inaccessible, it's caused by ownership changes or system ticked it read only.

The normal fix would be to select the security tab, change owner, and apply it to all files within the folder. Other option is just untick read only, and apply it to all files and folders.

This time around, neither can be done. I upgraded all hardware back in March of 2020. All four I7 servers are same os, Windows 10 pro, 8 core 8 thread I7 pentium, M2 boot drive with 4 Segate 8tb spindle hard drives. Due to issues, I kept all 4 machines on pro build 1803. Once issues were fixed, I updated all four machines to build 1903. This is where problems started happening with one machine. One of the 8tb drives changed to read only. This is my wifes machine I built her. After the update, she is unable to play any of her titles that save to that drive. Its changed to read only, and the normal box to untick for read only doesnt exist. Every file and folder on that drive the tabs are different and nothing even shows a security tab on this drive. Never seen anything like it. I scanned all the drives on a separate machine to check for infections. Drives are all clean. Im now stuck for the first time on what to do.

:)

Lord-Xanthor II, Oct 3, 2020
  2. jdmdriv3n Win User

Change permission to internal hard drive and now cannot access it.

Windows 10

I changed the permission to a second internal hard drive. My exact steps:

1. right click hard drive

2. properties

3. security tab

4. Selected Users from the "group or user names:"

5. Selected deny for "read and execute", "list folder contents", and "read" under "permissions for users"

6. clicked ok

Now I do not have access to the hard drive as administrator or the guest account.

When checking the security properties in an effort to change my mistakes, I see the following.

"you must have read permissions to view the properties of this object"

clicking advance says

"you must have read permissions to view the properties of this object. click continue to attempt the operations with administrative permissions"

clicking continue says

"you do not have permission to view this objects security properties, even as an administrative user. To try to take ownership of the object, which includes permission to view its properties, click change above"

I don't want to cause anymore damage, if anyone can help me, it would be incredibly helpful. Thanks!

jdmdriv3n, Oct 3, 2020
  3. Nikhar_K Win User
    Internal hard drive not getting detected after upgrading the computer to Windows 10

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I understand that after upgrading your computer to Windows 10, the 8TB internal hard drive is not getting detected. I’ll certainly help you with the issue.

However, please let us know:

• How did you upgrade the computer to Windows 10?
    • Are you able to see the hard drive in BIOS?
    • Are you using a Desktop or a Laptop?
    • What is the make and model of the computer you are using?

I would suggest you to check if the hard drive is being detected in BIOS. If the hard drive is not being detected in BIOS, then it could be a connectivity issue between the hard drive and the motherboard.

However, if the hard drive is getting detected in BIOS, I would suggest you to try updating the storage drivers from the computer manufacturer’s website and see if that helps.

Let us know the results.

Regards,

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Nikhar_K, Oct 3, 2020
  4. malware Win User

Internal hard drive changed to read only after upgrade from 1803 to 1903

Seagate Extends Warranty on Maxtor Internal Hard Drives

Seagate Technology, the worldwide leader in hard disc drives and consumer storage solutions, today announced a three-year limited warranty, effective immediately, on every Maxtor branded Internal Hard Drive Retail Kit that is now shipping worldwide. Maxtor Internal Hard Drive Retail Kits are designed for users who want to replace or upgrade their internal hard drives in their PC or Mac. This move shows Seagate's continued commitment to its retail customers, giving them more storage choices, while providing best-in-class warranty protection, service and support on the world's most reliable hard drives. The new three-year limited warranty applies retroactively to all Maxtor branded Internal Hard Drive Kits in retail channel inventory, or purchased by consumers on or after October 1, 2006.

For early shoppers, a Maxtor Internal Hard Drive Retail Kit is a perfect gift for that special someone who wants to upgrade their computer hard drive, giving it more capacity and the speed needed for demanding multimedia applications such as games and video. Consumers looking to upgrade to the premium version of Microsoft Windows Vista will also require more than 10GB of free hard drive space to load the operating system, and will need faster data transfer rates to obtain and enjoy a best-in-class computing experience from Microsoft.

This holiday season, digital cameras are also expected to be one of the hottest gift items according to the Consumer Electronics Association (CEA). With this, consumers will be shooting more and more digital photos and downloading them on to their internal computer hard drive. Topping off at 500GB, a Maxtor Internal Hard Drive Retail Kit not only satisfies the needs of this storage-intensive application, but also provides ample capacity for downloading the Internet's media-rich content such as music, video, photos, files and games. With Maxtor Retail Hard Drives by Seagate, consumers can rest assured in knowing that their data is stored on a trusted and reliable hard drive.

"Whether it's an internal hard drive or a simple to use external storage and backup solution, Seagate has a product for everyone," said Jim Druckrey, senior vice president and general manager for Seagate Branded Solutions. "Our Maxtor Branded Retail Kits include an industry leading drive manufactured by Seagate, giving consumers the quality assurance and reliability the industry has come to expect from Seagate. The positive response we have received from our retail partners is a testament to their confidence in our ability to deliver products that blend value, innovative storage technology and reliability."

Maxtor Internal Hard Drive Retail Kits come in capacities up to 500GB and include components users need to install the new hard drive - mounting screws, a PATA or SATA cable and step-by-step instructions, making it easy to upgrade their PC or Mac. Maxtor Hard Drive Retail Kits are available at retailers worldwide. Suggested retail price ranges from $79.95 for 80GB to $239.95 for 500GB. For more information, please visit www.maxtorsolutions.com.

Source: Seagate

malware, Oct 3, 2020
Thema:

Internal hard drive changed to read only after upgrade from 1803 to 1903

1. Internal hard drive changed to read only after upgrade from 1803 to 1903 - Similar Threads - Internal hard drive

2. Remove read-only state from internal drive after chkdsk found problems

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Remove read-only state from internal drive after chkdsk found problems: I noticed that when trying to copy some files from my internal SSD, the copy process would hang. Therefore I checked volume with 'chkdsk D: /f /r /x'. The check found several bad sectors and at the end it warned that multiple bad sectors couldn't be relocated due to...
  3. Something changing internal hard drive to read only...

in Windows 10 Support
    Something changing internal hard drive to read only...: Windows 10 Pro Version 21H1 (OS Build 19043.1023) Hi all. Perhaps my google skills aren't good enough but I've found lots of posts on how to change the drive/volume attributes back to r/w but nothing on what might be changing the drive(s) to read-only in the first place. I...
  4. 2nd internal hard drive is read only after windows update

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    2nd internal hard drive is read only after windows update: hi, recently updated windows with an update it was showing as needed- now the 2nd hard drive i have installed is showing read only and i can't save anything to it. in properties its showing read/write correctly for all users. but disk mgmt shows the drive as read only...
  5. Cannot upgrade to 1903 from 1803

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Cannot upgrade to 1903 from 1803: Split from this thread. I'm having the same type of problem with the same error message, . I've been stuck at 1803 for a long time. Windows update keeps trying to update to 1809 but fails at the same point each time. The error code is 0xC1900101-0x30018 (The...
  6. Upgrade issues from 1803 to 1903

Upgrade issues from 1803 to 1903: Hello, I am trying to upgrade my desktop from Windows 10 version 1803 to 1903 and continue to run into errors. The install from Media Creation Tool, as the Windows Update says my computer is up to date but isnt, fails around 75% and then has to revert everything back which...
  7. Can't upgrade from 1803 to 1903

Can't upgrade from 1803 to 1903: Have tried multiple times and lots of different things, including: Upgrade Assistant Media Creation Tool The Troubleshooting Update repair thing sfc /scannow chkdsk Clean Boot Unplug all unneccessary peripherals Still failing at the install around 95% no matter what I...
  8. slow boot after upgrading from 1803 to 1903

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    slow boot after upgrading from 1803 to 1903: I skipped over 1809 and upgraded directly from 1803 to 1903. All went fine but I noticed a significant slowdown in booting. It went from several seconds to 39 seconds. I have a decent desktop computer, enough memory. One possible culprit: I have two physical drives – SSD and...
  9. slow boot after upgrading from 1803 to 1903

in Windows 10 Support
    slow boot after upgrading from 1803 to 1903: I skipped over 1809 and upgraded directly from 1803 to 1903. All went fine but I noticed a significant slowdown in booting. It went from several seconds to 39 seconds. I have a decent desktop computer, enough memory. One possible culprit: I have two physical drives – SSD and...
  10. Internal Hard Drives Became Read Only

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Internal Hard Drives Became Read Only: I recently discovered that all files and folders have become read only on both my internal drives and i don't know why. Furthermore any attempt to change them back has no effect. I have tried changing the user permissions and ensuring i have admin privileges but none of this...