Windows 10: Internal hard drive not detected in BIOS after hard shutdown.

Discus and support Internal hard drive not detected in BIOS after hard shutdown. in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have two WD hard drives with the OS installed on one and the other is for storage. All this started with a hard shut down when the PC froze and then... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by BlackIce21, Jan 19, 2017.

1. Internal hard drive not detected in BIOS after hard shutdown.

I have two WD hard drives with the OS installed on one and the other is for storage. All this started with a hard shut down when the PC froze and then after the restart Windows wouldn't boot at all. It was stuck at the Windows logo for a very long time. Then I checked in BIOS and I noticed the secondary drive was nowhere to be found.

After letting Windows run the automatic repair on the drive the drive showed up in BIOS and I could access two of the three partitions. The third partition threw me an error saying the disk structure is corrupt and unreadable when I tried to open it. In Disk Management the drive showed up as RAW format and healthy. Then I tried to backup whatever I could from the accessible partitions before everything froze.

I rebooted again and right now none of the partitions are visible in Windows and is not detected in BIOS. But in Disk Management it says the Disk 1 is unknown and has to be initialized and asks to initialize with either MBR or GPT partition styles. I've also tried running chkdsk, used EaseUS Recovery and other third party data recovery tools but none of them detect the drive anymore. The drive is however visible on HD Sentinel and it says there are bad sectors and data must be backed up immediately. Does this mean the drive is completely dead? I have over 700GB of invaluable data on it so I don't want to just give up. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Also, I ran a prescan with HDD Regenerator and it says the MBR is corrupted and the WD Lifeguard tool shows me this after running a quick test.

Specs :
    OS - Windows 10 64-bit
    Motherboard - Asus P8H61-M LX3 R2.0
    RAM - 2x Transcend 8GB DDR3 1600Mhz
    Primary drive with OS - WD Blue 1TB WD10EZEX
    Secondary drive - WD Green 1TB WD10EARS

:)

BlackIce21, Jan 19, 2017

2. windows 10 professional not finding one of two internal hard drives

The computer that I just reported the above the file explorer does not detect one of the internal hard drives but diskpart list disk does:

Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.14393]

(c) 2016 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>diskpart

Microsoft DiskPart version 10.0.14393.0

Copyright (C) 1999-2013 Microsoft Corporation.

On computer: A-HP

DISKPART> list disk

Disk ### Status Size Free Dyn Gpt

-------- ------------- ------- ------- --- ---

Disk 0 Online 238 GB 0 B

Disk 1 Online 931 GB 0 B

Disk 2 Online 931 GB 931 GB

DISKPART>

Disk Management displays:

disk 0 basic 238.47 GB online

system 1.00 GB NTFS

Windows (CInternal hard drive not detected in BIOS after hard shutdown. :) 220.13 GB NTFS

HP_RECOVERY (DInternal hard drive not detected in BIOS after hard shutdown. :) 15.34 GB NTFS

HP_TOOLS (FInternal hard drive not detected in BIOS after hard shutdown. :) 2.00 GB FAT32

disk 1 basic 931.51 GB online

datadrive0 (GInternal hard drive not detected in BIOS after hard shutdown. :)

931.54 GB NTFS

disk 2 basic 931.51 GB online

931.51 GB Unallocated

CD-ROM 0

DVD (EInternal hard drive not detected in BIOS after hard shutdown. :)

no media

So on this computer all currrent drives are detected by windows 10 pro when using diskpart, list disk and disk management but not file explorer.

Then when one of the internal hard drives is replaced by another internal hard drive full of data this drive was not detected by windows by any of the above methods and only detected by the bios.

Then with another identical computer the two internal hard drives that were originally detected by this computer were not detected. Only one of the internal hard drives was detected.

So what is being detected is different depending on the internal hard drive and the computer.

How come each drive that is detected in one computer is not detected in another identical computer?

And how come an internal hard drive which is used in another computer cannot be detected in two computers?

All internal hard drives that have data either have only files or the windows 10 pro os and files.

How come there are different findings with windows 10 pro?

How do you get all of the computers windows 10 pro operating systems to discover the internal hard drives that are detected by their bios?

questions_, Jan 19, 2017
  3. JimPta Win User
    How to add SSD as boot disk on new Dell XPS 8700 with Windows 10?

JimPta, Jan 19, 2017
  4. Internal hard drive not detected in BIOS after hard shutdown.

Welcome to the TensForum @BlackIce21

Sorry to hear about drive. I think you drive is dead and even if you were to work around getting it operational again, the strain of moving 700GB will likely be a death blow.

If it were me, and the data was invaluable, I would be checking out a credible Data Recovery outfit. Good luck, no body likes losing data.

Caledon Ken, Jan 21, 2017
  5. jumanji Win User
    1. Post a screenshot of Windows Disk Management.

2. WD Datalifeguard Diagnostic for Windows: Post the screenshot of the Test Report after the Quick Test.. ( Instead you wrote the specifications of your system)

jumanji, Jan 21, 2017
  6. Berton Win User
    It was there
    just hard to see the clickable link to it, the word "this".

Berton, Jan 21, 2017
  7. jumanji Win User
    Yep, I missed it. Blame my eye sight.

It is always better if the OPs upload the screenshots to Ten Forum servers instead of third party servers. It will then be bang in the post like this

Internal hard drive not detected in BIOS after hard shutdown. [​IMG]

Hi BlackIce21,

Here is some reading for you to follow and upload the screenshots to Ten Forum servers.

Screenshots and Files - Upload and Post in Ten Forums

Replace the SATA cable of the drive and then check. If it does not resolve the problem then

1. Post the screenshot of Windows Disk Management

2. Run Extended Test with repair option and check whether it repairs the bad sectors. Post the screenshot of the test result.

jumanji, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Internal hard drive not detected in BIOS after hard shutdown.

1. Internal hard drive not detected in BIOS after hard shutdown. - Similar Threads - Internal hard drive

2. hard drive not detected

in Windows 10 Gaming
    hard drive not detected: hard drive not detected https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hard-drive-not-detected/48576ba9-4421-4ddc-b6dc-3473fea08eee
  3. hard drive not detected

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    hard drive not detected: hard drive not detected https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hard-drive-not-detected/48576ba9-4421-4ddc-b6dc-3473fea08eee
  4. hard drive not detected

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Secondary Hard Drive will stop being detected after pc shutdown

Secondary Hard Drive will stop being detected after pc shutdown: Hello, I have a main boot drive on an ssd connected by a sata cable. The drive in question is my secondary drive F: and it is a regular hard drive, connected by a SATA III cable. When I "Shut Down" my PC the F: drive will not be recognized anymore. I have found that...
  6. Secondary Hard Drive will stop being detected after pc shutdown

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Secondary Hard Drive will stop being detected after pc shutdown: Hello, I have a main boot drive on an ssd connected by a sata cable. The drive in question is my secondary drive F: and it is a regular hard drive, connected by a SATA III cable. When I "Shut Down" my PC the F: drive will not be recognized anymore. I have found that...
  7. Hard drive not detected

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Hard drive not detected: What could be the possible reason that my external hard drive is not appearing on the pc bios screen but working with my mobile? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hard-drive-not-detected/6757b01a-2bbc-48d4-a3f3-b128115ee10f"
  8. Internal Hard Drive

Internal Hard Drive: I have an internal hard drive i got from my day that came out of his desk top. It has a lot of data on it i want to recover and put onto an external dar drive. I can see the drive when i run diskmgmt but cannot right click on it or browse files. I get this error with it "was...
  9. Internal Hard Drive Shows in BIOS but not in Windows 10

Internal Hard Drive Shows in BIOS but not in Windows 10: My Windows operating system resides on an internal Solid State Drive and all my data and some programs reside on a 2TB Seagate Internal Hard Drive. A couple of days ago, my system started being very slow to load, taking almost 10 minutes to boot up, programs slow to load,...
  10. AutoPlay detecting internal hard drives.

AutoPlay detecting internal hard drives.: I pulled my computer apart and put it back together to put in a new graphics card Its likely I swapped the locations of a couple of the drives sata connections. Now Auto play has detected these drives as removable, and keeps asking if what I want to do with them. Is...