Windows 10: Internal hard drive turning constantly on and off

Discus and support Internal hard drive turning constantly on and off in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hello After a while when i have started my computer the hard drive starts to go on and off making clicking and decelerating noises. This behavior... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Jan Hellstrom, Jul 6, 2020.

1. Internal hard drive turning constantly on and off

Hello

After a while when i have started my computer the hard drive starts to go on and off making clicking and decelerating noises. This behavior started after I upgraded ti Win 10 so it may have something to do with that.

Anyone who has a clue what this can be?

:)

Jan Hellstrom, Jul 6, 2020

2. Hard drive turns on and off constantly

Hi John,

Before we proceed, I would like you to provide the information stated below:

1. How did you know and what symptoms indicated that the hard drive was turned off?

2. What indicates that the hard drive turns on?

To begin with, I would like to inform that when the CPU and hard drive usage is 0% it does not mean that the hard drive is turned off. It just indicates that the PC is idle or is not exerting any work.

As for the whirling noise, the above might be caused by the fan attached to the CPU. I suggest that you open the tower and clean out any dust that may be accumulated inside and check.

hope this helps

Regards

Vanessa Sohtun, Jul 6, 2020
  3. Hard drive turns on and off constantly

I use Windows 10 Pro. A few minutes after startup, when the CPU and hard drive usage falls to 0% (this happens when you use the system lightly, such as only using a browser, and having your mouse inactive) the
    system turns off the hard drive. Then it turns the hard drive on again in a matter of seconds as needed by system background processes. You can hear the whirring noise a hard drive makes as it starts up. The screen does not
    go blank--it does not go to sleep. This happens over and over and is NOT related to power management settings, like when to go into sleep, when to turn off the hard drive, etc.
    Is this supposed to happen? Won't it wear out the hard drive?

I think a program or Windows is turning the hard drive off and on. The computer is only two months old, a Lenovo E560 laptop, Western Digital hard drive, 7200 rpm.

John G. 999, Jul 6, 2020
  4. Internal hard drive turning constantly on and off

Hard drive turns on and off constantly

Hello Vanessa,

I know the difference between the fan noise and the hard drive noise. As I stated in the post, the hard drive spins back on, i.e. it turns on, after a short period of inactivity. And yes, the fan also turns off and on when this happens, but they make different
    noises. Please take my post at face value--I will not get my issue solved if you don't take it to be true. Yes, of course the hard drive is not supposed to be turned of at 0% usage--but
    mine does get turned off, which is the reason I posted. If you don't have ideas on this, please forward the message to someone who understands the intricacies of the issue.

John

John G. 999, Jul 6, 2020
Thema:

Internal hard drive turning constantly on and off

1. Internal hard drive turning constantly on and off - Similar Threads - Internal hard drive

2. Internal hard drive recovery

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Internal hard drive recovery: I have two hard drives. The normal C: drive and an E: drive that I use for data only. Microsoft destroyed that drive while I was trying to create a USB recovery drive. My Backup and Restore shows multiple E: backups with a single folder and a Desktop.ini file. Nothing else....
  3. removing internal hard drive

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    removing internal hard drive: so i wanted to check something while i have no hdd and i want to remove my wd blue hard drive but i don't know if it's safe to start pc after unplugging hdd or not and my windows 10 is installed on my ssd so what should i do?...
  4. Internal Hard Drive Password

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Internal Hard Drive Password: Before logging on, It asks me the password for my Internal Hard Drive. or I will not be able to access data. I never set a password or even new I had a password for this.. How do I find out what the password is?? And how do I stop this thing from popping up??...
  5. Internal Hard Drive Problem

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Internal Hard Drive Problem: Hello, I am using ASUS X560UD with an internal hard drive. And sometimes when my battery is low about 30% the hard drive suddenly disconnects and it also happen randomly with a lot battery. Anyone have the solution? I have made the power plan to never disable hard drive and...
  6. Missing internal hard drive

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Missing internal hard drive: 1. I had my computer upgrade with my assure plan in the Microsoft store. We replaced the primary drive with a SSD hard drive and used the original internal 1 TB HD as the data drive. Recently my computer went through a windows 10 update and I lot the internal HD in my disk...
  7. Internal Hard Drive on Notebook

Internal Hard Drive on Notebook: Hello, I am using a Windows 10 on Asus Notebook. And sometimes when I just turn it on and wanted to use it, the internal hard drive is not available. Sometimes it also disconnected when I am using it. A restart did solve it temporarily but sometimes it is not. I tried to...
  8. Internal Hard Drive

Internal Hard Drive: I have an internal hard drive i got from my day that came out of his desk top. It has a lot of data on it i want to recover and put onto an external dar drive. I can see the drive when i run diskmgmt but cannot right click on it or browse files. I get this error with it "was...
  9. Internal hard drive issues

Internal hard drive issues: A month ago i got a new hard drive today when i was trying to install an application from the Windows store i wasn't able to it said This product needs to be installed on your internal hard drive. What should i do?...
  10. Turning off Hard Drives to Reduce Noise/Power

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Turning off Hard Drives to Reduce Noise/Power: My desktop has 1 SSD and 4 HDDs, running Windows off the SSD I want to turn the hard drives off when I'm not using them in order to reduce noise from the PC and power consumption (it does matter to me because I often run my PC off a UPS). What are my best options for doing...