Windows 10: internal hard drives showing as external removable devices

Discus and support internal hard drives showing as external removable devices in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I just finished building my new pc and my hard drives which I moved over from my old computer are showing in device manager and windows media player as... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by mikee286, Aug 4, 2017.

1. mikee286 Win User

internal hard drives showing as external removable devices

I just finished building my new pc and my hard drives which I moved over from my old computer are showing in device manager and windows media player as portable devices. How to I get them to show up as internal

My system is
    AMD Ryzen 1400. Asrock AB350 Pro4 motherboard, 16gb ram 240GB Crucial_CT240M500SSD1 ssd, 500GB WDC WD5000AAKX-001CA0, 1.5TB ST1500DM003-9YN16G, Geforce gtx 950, Windows 10 Pro 64bit

:)

mikee286, Aug 4, 2017

2. Can not access or even see E drive

Disk 2 is a removable drive and disk 3 is an external hard drive. My 2nd internal hard drive is not showing. I am hearing clicking/spinning noises from the computer. Thought it was a fan going bad, could it be the missing drive?

DSamuelson115kg, Aug 4, 2017
  3. My hard drives are showing up as removable.

Sorry Mike! Some times I don't get it right the first time. Glad you got your issue solved!

Glad you know how to use search. Some of our members don't!

garybear

Thanks for your reply!

garybear89, Aug 4, 2017
  4. spunk Win User

spunk, Aug 4, 2017
  5. mikee286 Win User
    Tried checking write caching in device manager, it was enabled
    looked in bios for hot swap or hot plug setting, it was disabled
    I also installed all the drivers from the motherboard driver disk to see if there were drivers for the sata controller that would fix the issue, no luck there either.

mikee286, Aug 4, 2017
  6. mikee286 Win User
    did that yesterday but that was before I added the drives do I don't know if the issue would have been there before the update

mikee286, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. internal hard drives showing as external removable devices - Similar Threads - internal hard drives

2. Will plugging in a external hard drive help internal hard drive problems

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Will plugging in a external hard drive help internal hard drive problems: I've been having problems with my disk being 100% randomly and i've tried all the fixes from changing virtual memory, stopping services like sysmain and windows search and installing new drivers none of them have fixed the problem so im thinking about changing hard drive i...
  3. Will plugging in a external hard drive help internal hard drive problems

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Will plugging in a external hard drive help internal hard drive problems: I've been having problems with my disk being 100% randomly and i've tried all the fixes from changing virtual memory, stopping services like sysmain and windows search and installing new drivers none of them have fixed the problem so im thinking about changing hard drive i...
  4. Internal Hard Drives are Showing As Removable Drives

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Internal Hard Drives are Showing As Removable Drives: Hello,Thank you in advance for any assistance. I am running Windows 10 Pro 64-bit.My issue is I have an internal hard drive that is showing as a removable storage device. I am using this drive for Backup. Windows 10 File Backup and trying to use it for a system image. I think...
  5. Internal Hard Drives are Showing As Removable Drives

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Internal Hard Drives are Showing As Removable Drives: Hello, Thank you in advance for any assistance. I am running Windows 10 Pro 64-bit. My issue is I have an internal hard drive that is showing as a removable storage device. I am using this drive for Backup. Windows 10 File Backup and trying to use it for a system...
  6. removing internal hard drive

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    removing internal hard drive: so i wanted to check something while i have no hdd and i want to remove my wd blue hard drive but i don't know if it's safe to start pc after unplugging hdd or not and my windows 10 is installed on my ssd so what should i do?...
  7. External Hard drive not showing as available device

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    External Hard drive not showing as available device: Hello, I recently purchased a second-hand Transcend Storejet 25h3 1TB external hard drive, connected via USB 3.0. It doesn't show up as an available device or drive from the menu on my Microsoft Surface Pro 4, but I can select it from the Safely Remove Hardware and Eject...
  8. Internal SATA hard drives show up as removable devices in 'Safely Remove Hardware'

Internal SATA hard drives show up as removable devices in 'Safely Remove Hardware': Hi, Issue; I've got two of my internal SATA hard drives (4 internal hard drive in total) showing as removeable drives in the 'safely remove hardware and eject media' tray icon list. I don't want to accidentally eject one of them so I would like them not to appear in the...
  9. External hard drive not showing

External hard drive not showing: Hi, I've connected an external Samsung USB hard drive (not a stick) to my fully updated Win 10 PC and it doesn't show up in File manager. I've gone into Device manager and it shows it as: 'Samsung M3 Portable SCSI Disk Device' but it's not a SCSI drive....
  10. Disconnect internal hard drive externally

Disconnect internal hard drive externally: Being anal about backups and having issue after issue with Win 10, I need a way to physically disconnect/reconnect an internal backup hard drive with out cracking open the case and unplugging it. All of my hard drives are ssd. Ron 98831

Users found this page by searching for:

1. internal drives shown as external

2. WS2016 Internal hard drives showing as removable

3. internal hard drive shows as removable