Windows 10: internal HDD not shuthing down while idle

Discus and support internal HDD not shuthing down while idle in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hello all and thanks in advance. Recently I noticed my pc was making strange resonating noises and I found it was from my two hard drive running at... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by sirsomething, Dec 9, 2015.

1. internal HDD not shuthing down while idle

Hello all and thanks in advance.

Recently I noticed my pc was making strange resonating noises and I found it was from my two hard drive running at the same time.
    To solve this I check the power option to turn disks off while on idle but it won't seem to work.
    After this, I dowloaded Sysinternals Process Explorer to see what was using my drives and, while everything is normal on D: drive, on E: drive I found some processes related to explorer.exe and that might be the problem

I remember in early builds of windows 10 it worked but it stopped working since last month or so.

Hope some of you can help me. Thanks

:)

sirsomething, Dec 9, 2015

2. internal HDD won't sleep while on idle

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I understand your concern regarding the issue that you are facing.

Install any pending updates on the pc to check if that helps. Updates are additions to software that can help prevent or fix problems, improve how your computer works, or enhance your computing experience.

I suggest you to refer the below methods to resolve the issue:

Method 1:
    Windows has a built-in troubleshooter to check and fix issues with Hardware and Devices. I would suggest you to run this troubleshooter to check if the issue is with your Devices.

Refer these steps:

1. Press Windows key +X, select Control panel.

2. Change the view by option on the top right to Large icons.

3. Click on troubleshooting and click on the view all option on the left panel.

4. Run the Hardware and Devices.

Method 2:
    Run check disk on the HDD to ensure that the HDD is healthy.
    Check if it helps.

• Press Windows + X on your keyboard.
    • Select Command Prompt (Admin).
    • Type the below commands.

Cskdsk [drive letter]: /f /r

Hope this helps. If issue persists, please reply with information for further assistance. We will be happy to help.

Suvarna Govinda, Dec 9, 2015
  3. internal HDD won't sleep while on idle

Hello all and thanks in advance.

Recently I noticed my pc was making strange resonating noises and I found it was from my two hard drive running at the same time.

To solve this I check the power option to turn disks off while on idle but it won't seem to work.

After this, I dowloaded Sysinternals Process Explorer to see what was using my drives and, while everything is normal on D: drive, on E: drive I found some processes related to explorer.exe and
    that might be the problem

I remember in early builds of windows 10 it worked but it stopped working since last month or so.

Hope some of you can help me. Thanks

sirsomething, Dec 9, 2015
Thema:

internal HDD not shuthing down while idle

1. internal HDD not shuthing down while idle - Similar Threads - internal HDD shuthing

2. Crashing while idle

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Crashing while idle: Hi, I have an issue with my system sometimes having the fans spinning at a high RPM don't think it's quite the max because it doesn't sound like a jet with really bad performance, like programs taking a few seconds to realise I have pressed something and the start menu search...
  3. Crashing while idle

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Crashing while idle: Hi, I have an issue with my system sometimes having the fans spinning at a high RPM don't think it's quite the max because it doesn't sound like a jet with really bad performance, like programs taking a few seconds to realise I have pressed something and the start menu search...
  4. Internal HDD not accessible

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Internal HDD not accessible: I bought HP Notebook on 31 March 2021 from authorized dealer City Computer Resources with following details:Batch HP 15S DY3001TUIntel I3 11th Gen processor8GB RAM, 1TB HDD, 15.6’FHDWin10Home, MS Office Home & Student 2019With 1 year warranty. I was using the notebook very...
  5. Internal HDD not accessible

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Internal HDD not accessible: I bought HP Notebook on 31 March 2021 from authorized dealer City Computer Resources with following details:Batch HP 15S DY3001TUIntel I3 11th Gen processor8GB RAM, 1TB HDD, 15.6’FHDWin10Home, MS Office Home & Student 2019With 1 year warranty. I was using the notebook very...
  6. Internal HDD not accessible

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  7. Internal HDD disappearing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Internal HDD disappearing: Recently, I upgraded my GPU and had my PC cleaned. After that my internal HDD just randomly disappears and reappears after shutting down. It happens if it's been off for hours or while I'm using my PC. It only happens to my "D:" drive. I also checked my disk management when...
  8. Internal HDD disappearing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Internal HDD disappearing: Recently, I upgraded my GPU and had my PC cleaned. After that my internal HDD just randomly disappears and reappears after shutting down. It happens if it's been off for hours or while I'm using my PC. It only happens to my "D:" drive. I also checked my disk management when...
  9. Internal HDD disappearing

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  10. Internal HDD

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Internal HDD: Hi All.I have a Zoostorm desktop had it at the end of last year. It has a SSD & a Second hdd ''spinner''.All is working well the only issue is when I want to open a document there is a slight delay in the opening of it as all documents pictures etc are all stored on the...