Windows 10: Internal Laptop SSD Drive Keeps Disappearing

Discus and support Internal Laptop SSD Drive Keeps Disappearing in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; My HP laptop has a second internal SATA SSD drive which I normally assign to drive Z: for backups. It has worked fine to date but sometimes when I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Steve C, Jul 23, 2021.

1. Steve C Win User

Internal Laptop SSD Drive Keeps Disappearing

My HP laptop has a second internal SATA SSD drive which I normally assign to drive Z: for backups. It has worked fine to date but sometimes when I start the PC it is not found in Explorer - see below. I can easily assign the disk letter Z: in Disk Management which works for a while but the drive still disappears after a while. I've enabled Automount in DISKPART. When I assign Z: I get a notification about what to do with removeable drives yet the SSD is not removeable. Perhaps Windows incorrectly thinks the drive is removeable? What is going on here?

:)

Steve C, Jul 23, 2021
  2. Steve C Win User

My HP laptop has a second internal SATA SSD drive which I normally assign to drive Z: for backups. It has worked fine to date but sometimes when I start the PC it is not found in Explorer - see below. I can easily assign the disk letter Z: in Disk Management which works for a while but the drive still disappears after a while. I've enabled Automount in DISKPART. When I assign Z: I get a notification about what to do with removeable drives yet the SSD is not removeable. Perhaps Windows incorrectly thinks the drive is removeable?

What is going on here?

Internal Laptop SSD Drive Keeps Disappearing [​IMG]

Steve C, Jul 23, 2021
  3. Lottiemansion, Jul 23, 2021
  4. Stigg Win User

Laptops That Support A Secondary Storage Drive

When you say "tons of them", do you mean that they have a ROM drive to remove or do they accommodate second drives specifically?

I'll keep it a bit broad.
    • Intel i7 Generation 8
    • 15.6" Display
    • M.2 512GB NVMe SSD (C Drive)
    • 1TB Hard Drive or SSD secondary drive (D Drive)
    • NVIDIA Graphics
    • 6 cell battery (maybe)
    • 4G/5G LTE mobile broadband card

When it comes to LTE cards, I'll listen to suggestions as I have never used one.

I like good sound, but when it comes to laptops, I am not sure how choosy you can be.
    Please ask me what else I should include in the specs.

Stigg, Jul 23, 2021
Thema:

1. Internal Laptop SSD Drive Keeps Disappearing - Similar Threads - Internal Laptop SSD

2. Both internal hard drives have disappeared!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Both internal hard drives have disappeared!: I have two internal hard drives in my PC, E and F in addition to the C drive - SSD, where I store and backup all my data.Yesterday, I was deleting some I thought unnecessary files from my oem folder, in preparation for a Windows 10 reinstall.Today, when I open the PC, both E...
  3. Both internal hard drives have disappeared!

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Both internal hard drives have disappeared!: I have two internal hard drives in my PC, E and F in addition to the C drive - SSD, where I store and backup all my data.Yesterday, I was deleting some I thought unnecessary files from my oem folder, in preparation for a Windows 10 reinstall.Today, when I open the PC, both E...
  4. Both internal hard drives have disappeared!

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Internal Hard Drive Disappear From Explorer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Internal Hard Drive Disappear From Explorer: My D: drive is gone from explorer!I Try to transfer very large files from my D: Drive and Explorer becomes unresponsive and after that my hard drive disappeared....
  6. Internal Laptop SSD Drive Keeps Disappearing

in Windows 10 Support
    Internal Laptop SSD Drive Keeps Disappearing: My HP laptop has a second internal SATA SSD drive which I normally assign to drive Z: for backups. It has worked fine to date but sometimes when I start the PC it is not found in Explorer - see below. I can easily assign the disk letter Z: in Disk Management which works for a...
  7. Internal hard drive partition keeps disappearing (z-drive)

Internal hard drive partition keeps disappearing (z-drive): Hi, I have previously reported this issue & thought it was solved: - Int. HD partition Keeps Disappearing (Z Drive) others are OK However it continues! Anyone got any suggestions 179987
  8. BitLocker encryption on Internal SSD drives?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    BitLocker encryption on Internal SSD drives?: I always enable BitLocker so that the ENTIRE SSD DRIVE is encrypted. My question is, does it really matter if I turn on BitLocker encryption before or after adding my data onto the Internal SSD drive of my laptop? I also use TPM with pre-boot PIN. 177028
  9. Internal Microphone keeps disappearing after updates

Internal Microphone keeps disappearing after updates: Can someone please tell me how to keep my internal microphone working? It is gone after windows updates. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/internal-microphone-keeps-disappearing-after/58583d42-de23-48b7-8219-ccabc51f35b3
  10. Drives keep disappearing

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Drives keep disappearing: I'm not able to access the D, E, and the F drive on my laptop using the file explorer, only the c drive i.e. The ssd is accessible through it. If I restart the computer multiple times, some of the drives may appear but rest I have to retrieve using the command prompt, and...