Windows 10: Internal mic stops working when I plug in earbuds/headphones

Discus and support Internal mic stops working when I plug in earbuds/headphones in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; So I had the same issue a lot of people had about this topic. My computer's internal mic works... until I plug in some headphones. Then all of a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by BeastKing23, Nov 5, 2020.

1. Internal mic stops working when I plug in earbuds/headphones

So I had the same issue a lot of people had about this topic. My computer's internal mic works... until I plug in some headphones. Then all of a sudden, poof; it stops working, only to work again once I'd unplug my headphones. I watched video after video, look up forums, I even contacted customer support. Now they did try to help me but then ultimately gave up, which as you can imagine was very upsetting. Like, how is customer support going to just give up on me? I am very disappointed with Microsoft's customer support. I found a solution ON MY OWN, and if I could find one that means they could have too, they just CHOSE not to. Now, I don't hate Microsoft by any means; in fact I love their products, but this just really upset me.

Anyways tldr rant aside here's the solution I found that works:

1. I opened up my Realtek drive. For me, it was "Realtek Audio Console"

2. Device advanced settings

3.I set the "Connector retasking" to "Speaker out"

It was literally the only prompt in advanced settings and there were 4 options: Mic in, Headphones, Headset, Speaker Out. Naturally, I put "headphones" thinking that since I was using headphones this was the right choice. But now with "Speaker out" I get the audio through my headphones AND my computer's internal mic still works. A very easy and simple fix, one that you would think customer support would be able to figure out relatively easy but I guess not.

I want to end by saying that I know how hard customer support can be. I understand that you guys/girls aren't machines that have all the answers and that sometimes you're trying to help like 20 people at once. This wasn't meant to make you feel bad. It's just that when we call on you, we don't know what else to do; and if/when you give up on us, now we really feel hopeless. So just know that we really do appreciate all of your hard work, but please just NEVER give up on the people that ask you for help. Even if you can't figure it out, just keep trying. Thank you

:)

BeastKing23, Nov 5, 2020

2. Earbuds with mic not working in windows 10, please help.

So I'm trying to get my earbuds with mic to work on my computer so I can listen with ears and talk with mic at the same time. I have a port on my pc that has a mic icon and a earphone icon together. I thought if I connected it to that it would work but it does not. A pop up comes with of Realtek audio manager and asks me what I connected. It says "what device did you plug in" and has a list saying 'line in', 'Mic in', 'Headphone'. when I say pick mic it uses my listening buds as a mic and when I pick headphone it just functions as a normal headphone. What I want to do is use it as a headset to listen and talk. Help please and thank you.

leafknight005, Nov 5, 2020
  3. Straynjer Win User
    My computer mic stops working when headphones are plugged in.

For whatever reason, when my headphones are plugged in, my computer mic stops working.

It works fine when it's not plugged in.

My headphones do have a mic on them, but under the sound settings, both the computer mic and headphone mic are under one device, "Microphone Array (Realtek High Definition Audio)".

This is true regardless whether or not my headphones are plugged in. A similar thing happens to the speakers as well, but i dont care about that that much.

The reason why i care about the mics, is because my headphone mic is broken, and i want to use my headphones while using the computer mic which works perfectly fine.

Ive already tried uninstalling and reinstalling the devices.

I am using a lenovo X1 carbon 20A8 model.

Straynjer, Nov 5, 2020
  4. Internal mic stops working when I plug in earbuds/headphones

Mic/Headphone ports not working correctly - Acer Aspire 7745

The speakers are 'plugged in' already as it is a laptop. With no external mic, headphones or external speakers plugged in, the Sound Control Panel lists three things under 'Playback' - HDMI, 'Speakers' and 'Realtek Digital Output' - the Speakers under 'Playback' is set as the default.

Under 'Recording' with no external mic plugged in these are listed - 'Microphone', 'Line In' and 'Stereo Mix' (Disabled) - the microphone (in this case, the internal one) is set to 'Default' under 'Recording' as well.

I don't have my headset here to test an external mic right now, but with normal external headphones plugged in, there is no change to the Sound Control Panel under 'Playback' - the same three listings (HDMI, 'Speakers' and 'Realtek Digital Output') with 'Speakers' set as the Default. If I make a noise, say, play a video, I can see the sound meters move to the sound, but no sound comes out of the headphones.

Darkstrike, Nov 5, 2020
Thema:

Internal mic stops working when I plug in earbuds/headphones

1. Internal mic stops working when I plug in earbuds/headphones - Similar Threads - Internal mic stops

2. My laptop microphone stops working when I plug in my headphones with no mic

in Windows 10 Customization
    My laptop microphone stops working when I plug in my headphones with no mic: Hello Microsoft Community,I really hope you can help me with this since I have been trying to figure it out for hours.The Problem: I have a headphone with no mic that I plug into the jack of my laptop. When I do this, my laptop keeps the output and input as Realtek Audio. In...
  3. My computer microphone stops working when I plug in my headphones with No Mic

in Windows 10 Customization
    My computer microphone stops working when I plug in my headphones with No Mic: Hello Microsoft Community,I really hope you can help me with this since I have been trying to figure it out for hours.The Problem: I have a headphone with no mic that I plug into the jack of my laptop. When I do this, my computer keeps the output and input as Realtek Audio....
  4. Headphones plugged in but mic is "not plugged in"

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Headphones plugged in but mic is "not plugged in": Everything functioned fine until yesterday when I attempted to play Modern Warfare with my friend and I realized windows wasn't registering that my mic was plugged in. I've tried 3 different headphones, 4 different aux cords, and two different aux ports and all of them have...
  5. Headphone Jack not working when I plug in mic.

Headphone Jack not working when I plug in mic.: I have a headset with a mic that I plug into a splitter the splitter has a headphone and mic jack that are plugged into their own specific slots. They have been working fine for the past 6 months, up until as of this morning. Where only one of them function at a time. When I...
  6. Mic is only working when I plug headphones in!

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Mic is only working when I plug headphones in!: Hi, The microphone on my work computer is only working, when I plug the headphones into the jack. They are normal headphone and do not have any type of voice input on them. I have tried troubleshooting, but no joy. The computer can detect the microphone, and the testing...
  7. Built in Laptop mic, only works when earbuds are not plugged in.

Built in Laptop mic, only works when earbuds are not plugged in.: Lenova legion laptop running windows 10. I want to use ear buds on my lap top but still use my laptop's builtin mic for speaking. This use to work fine even with these particular earbuds but suddenly it is not. This problem has happened to be in the past and seems to...
  8. Mic not working when headphones plugged in

Mic not working when headphones plugged in: When I don't have headphones in, my mic works just fine. But as soon as I plug in my headphones (into the ONLY headphone jack, mind you) the mic stops working and I can't get it to work anymore. I've tried updating drivers, manually downloading and installing drivers, etc....
  9. Earbuds mic not working

Earbuds mic not working: Hello, After plugging my earbuds mic combo into my laptop, the recording device is not being switched over and the laptop mic is still being used. Ive searched the forums and tried, Updating drivers, all good. Checking the earbuds work on another device, yep. Opening...
  10. Earbud mic not working

Earbud mic not working: I recently got some red Skullcandy Ink'd earbuds. My headset broke, so I needed a temporary placeholder for a mic. I thought the mic on the earbuds would work out. They don't. I plugged them into the microphone jack on my computer, and I cannot get it to pick anything up. It...