Windows 10: internal microphone non-functional

Discus and support internal microphone non-functional in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; The problem: the internal microphone on my laptop is not working at all. Voice Recorder, Audacity, Zoom, Chrome - no program picks up any audio from... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by EmilyCecilia, Jul 7, 2020.

1. internal microphone non-functional

The problem: the internal microphone on my laptop is not working at all. Voice Recorder, Audacity, Zoom, Chrome - no program picks up any audio from the internal microphone. External microphones, whether plugged into the audio port or USB, work successfully.

Specs from dxdiag:

Asus VivoBook X512DA

Windows 10 Home 64-bit 10.0, Build 18363

BIOS: X512DA.305

Processor: AMD Ryzen 3 3200U

Speakers RealtekR Audio
    Hardware ID: HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_10EC&DEV_0256&SUBSYS_10431821&REV_1000
    Driver: RTKVHD64.sys
    Version: 6.00.8838.0001
    Date: 11/12/2019

Specs from Device Manager:

Speakers RealtekR Audio [Audio inputs and outputs]

Driver Provider: Microsoft

Date: 2019-03-18

Version: 10.0.18362.1

[Upon clicking Driver Details, I am told no driver files are required or have been loaded for this device.]

Event Log:

• July 7, 2020, 10:20:29:

"Device SWD\MMDEVAPI\{0.0.0.00000000}.{9d29c964-041a-4268-846b-5b794b8efeb3} was started.

Driver Name: audioendpoint.inf

Class Guid: {c166523c-fe0c-4a94-a586-f1a80cfbbf3e}"

• Same timestamp: Device configured audioendpoint.inf, Device not migrated

Microphone RealtekR Audio [Audio inputs and outputs]

Driver Provider: Microsoft

Date: 2019-03-18

Version: 1.0.18362.1

[Upon clicking Driver Details, I am told no driver files are required or have been loaded for this device.]

Event Log:

• July 7, 2020, 10:20:29
      "Device SWD\MMDEVAPI\{0.0.1.00000000}.{ed443b47-51e6-4812-8214-5cf5a064a4b9} was started.
      Driver Name: audioendpoint.inf
      Class Guid: {c166523c-fe0c-4a94-a586-f1a80cfbbf3e}"
    • Same timestamp: Device configured audioendpoint.inf, Device not migrated

RealtekR Audio [Sound, video and game controllers]

Driver Provider: Realtek Semiconductor Corp.

Date: 2019-11-12

Version: 6.0.8838.1

Driver Details:

C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\amdacpksl.sys [AMD, 1.0.0.39]

"\drmk.sys [Microsoft, 10.0.18362.1 WinBuild.160101.0800]

"\ksthunk.sys [Microsoft, 10.0.18362.1 WinBuild.160101.0800]

"\portcls.sys [Microsoft, 10.0.18362.1 WinBuild.160101.0800]

"\RTAIODAT.DAT [Unknown, Unknown]

"\RTKVHD64.sys [Realtek Semiconductor Corp., 6.0.8838.1 built by: WinDDK]

"\RtEventLog.dll [Unknown, Unknown]

Event Log:

• July 7, 2020, 10:20:19: Device installed hdxhapasus.inf_amd64_7512b6c464706827 - Driver Management concluded the process to install driver [above] for Device Instance ID HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_10EC&DEV_0256&SUBSYS_10431821&REV_1000\5&311967DD&0&0001 with the following status: 0x0.
    • Same timestamp: Device started IntcAzAudAddService
    • July 7, 2020, 10:20:18: Device configured oem23.inf, Device configured oem9.inf, Device not migrated
    • July 7, 2020, 10:20:08: Device install requested

AMD High Definition Audio Device [Sound, video and game controllers]

Driver Provider: Advanced Micro Devices

Date: 2019-07-10

Version: 10.0.1.12

Driver Details:

C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\AtihdWT6.sys [Advanced Micro Devices, 10.0.1.12]

"\drmk.sys [Microsoft, 10.0.18362.1 WinBuild.160101.0800

"\ksthunk.sys [Microsoft, 10.0.18362.1 WinBuild.160101.0800]

"\portcls.sys [Microsoft, 10.0.18362.1 WinBuild.160101.0800]

The Event Log contains no entries later than May 5, 2020.

Things I have tried, all of which resulted in no change:

• updating audio drivers to newest version by downloading the version specific to my machine directly from ASUS. uninstalled old version, used Windows PowerShell as admin to run .bat package downloaded from manufacturer, restarted machine.
    • updated AMD chipset driver from the same source.
    • checked microphone privacy settings: apps have access to microphone.
    • checked that device was enabled in Sound settings: it is.
    • disabled Audio Enhancements.
    • ran audio troubleshooter: no errors detected.
    • restarted Windows Audio Endpoint Service and Windows Audio Service.
    • restarted Realtek Audio Universal Service.
    • used Device Manager to select Windows drivers for the Microphone Audio Endpoint, High Definition Audio Device.
    • tried installing older Realtek drivers in compatibility mode: drivers failed to install.

The system is, as of now, running the latest Realtek audio drivers and AMD Chipset drivers. All settings point to the microphone functioning correctly and Windows states that it is. Nonetheless, it does not pick up any input in any program.

Any ideas?

:)

EmilyCecilia, Jul 7, 2020
  2. Louie Del Win User

Constant Muting Internal Microphone

Hi Terri,

If the internal microphone of your device is muting on its own, it can be due to an incompatible driver, broken system components or a software conflict has occurred. To isolate your concern, we’d like to confirm if you’ve made some
    changes and updates on your computer prior to the issue.

Additionally, we suggest that you run the troubleshooter to fix any sound issues. Please check this
    article for the instructions and choose from the drop-down list for other troubleshooting
    steps that you can follow.

Let us know how it goes after performing the suggested steps.

Louie Del, Jul 7, 2020
  3. Internal Microphone

This is a peer-to-peer volunteer-based public international forum - while someone here MAY be watching your every move and already have full access to your computer and know what you are seeing and have been there with you for every step you have taken with
    that computer and such - the probability is low. *grin*

Help those here help you by letting them know a *bit* more information. Given what you have so far, here is some things that may be helpful to those who might wish to assist you...

• What is the make & model of the computer?
    • What operating system (OS) did it originally come with?
    • When did you upgrade the OS to Windows 10 (month & year estimation works)?
    • Did you (ever) manually visit the manufacturer's web page for that particular model computer and download / install the latest hardware device drivers said manufacturer supplied(ies) for Windows 10 usage on that specific system?
    • When was the last time the microphone worked in said system?
    • What changed between the time the microphone last worked and now?
    • What have you done to troubleshoot the issue so far?
    • What application(s) have you utilized to test the microphone functionality?
    • What would you say your 'skill level' is when it comes to troubleshooting issues on a computer? (Asked so the proper level of presentation and steps are shown without offending you in any direction/manner.)

Shenan Stanley, Jul 7, 2020
  4. internal microphone non-functional

internal microphone not working since updates

Hi,

We'd like to confirm if you're still unable to utilize the internal microphone after installing the update? If yes, as an initial step to get the microphone working again, we suggest that you update the driver under
    Audio Inputs and Outputs in the Device Manager. The steps on how to update the device driver on your device can be found on this
    link.

We'll appreciate if you can send us an update.

Darwin Dim, Jul 7, 2020
Thema:

internal microphone non-functional

1. internal microphone non-functional - Similar Threads - internal microphone non

2. Non functioning microphone

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Non functioning microphone: microphone is not working. video recording is working without audio. * Moved from Community Center https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/non-functioning-microphone/b60c63ed-8832-4a9a-9fde-8da4c83a72cf
  3. Internal microphone problems . . .

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Internal microphone problems . . .: My computer, is a Dell laptop.Running, Windows 10.I want to, raise the sensitivity.Of the, internal microphone.These are the, Microsoft instructions:========================To change the mic sensitivity in Windows.You'll have to go into the device settings,for your...
  4. internal microphone

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    internal microphone: hello, i have an hp elite dragonfly, i restarted my laptop and tried to talk with my friends through "Discord" but my mic wasnt working i use the internal mic. I opened control panel and went to the sound option and i checked the options "show disabled devices" and "show...
  5. Internal microphone

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Internal microphone: Hi: The internal microphone has stopped working and I do not know why hence cannot respond to zoom or team meetings? Test Microphone says working properly from settings but no sound? Drivers are up to date G50-70 Laptop Lenovo - Type 80DY...
  6. internal microphone

internal microphone: When I am in a zoom meeting the other participants can barely hear me. I need to be 3" from the microphone to come out softly. In the sound settings the bar barely moves when I speak. Is there a way to increase the sound? It's set at 100%.Thanks Thanks DC...
  7. Non Functioning webcam

Non Functioning webcam: I have a Packard Bell TJ64 laptop which I bought in 2010. When I try to open the webcam it gives the error code 0xA00F4244camera not attached. It is not listed in the Device Manager. According to the Program List it is a Chicory version 1.7.82.1209. The Chicory website...
  8. Internal microphone issue

Internal microphone issue: The microphone does not seem to be working for either Zoom or Messenger but does work for Skype. We have worked through the various tests - the "Test your microphone" under Sound settings is fine. We have also checked the Privacy settings for the microphone so "Allow apps to...
  9. Internal Microphone Issue

in Windows 10 Customization
    Internal Microphone Issue: I cannot get the internal microphone to pick up when I record a video from the laptop. I've checked the settings and troubleshooting for the microphone. All the settings are up so that you should be able to hear, but you cannot....
  10. Troubleshooter non-functional

in Windows 10 Customization
    Troubleshooter non-functional: I just tried to run my troubleshooter, however says try again later. This is the first time I have ever seen this. Please advise https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/troubleshooter-non-functional/8756885e-989a-46f3-87b5-9c8170ef89dc