Windows 10: Internal Or External HD Addition ?

Discus and support Internal Or External HD Addition ? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello, New desktop pc that came with 1 TB HD. Debating installing another internal 1 TB HD vs just using an external one. Lots of Photos, and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Robert11, Nov 25, 2015.

1. Robert11 Win User

Internal Or External HD Addition ?

Hello,

New desktop pc that came with 1 TB HD.

Debating installing another internal 1 TB HD vs just using an external one.
    Lots of Photos, and another user with lots of video, etc.

The only advantage that I can see for another internal one is that it is probably
    faster than going thru an external USB 3 cable, and of course a bit "neater".

The internal of course involves some installation "work," the formatting and partitioning, etc.
    Costs not all that different, apparently.

What am I missing ? Pros and cons, etc. ?

Thanks,
    B.

:)

Robert11, Nov 25, 2015
  2. tomski2 Win User

copy hard drive1 with windows 10, paste onto new hard drive (as back up), clean install on hard drive1

is that like turning an internal HD into an external HD?

tomski2, Nov 25, 2015
  3. mysterio2 Win User
    Error failed external Hard drive after replacing the internal hdd

I've had an external hd for a couple years now, and back up important files when necessary. So I had an internal hd crash, replaced it, and had the shop that did the work reload Win 10 on the system. Now the 'new' computer is telling me that the external
    hd, that worked fine under Win 7 and Win 10 on the old, failed hd, need formatting before use. And I tried hooking the external hd up to 2 laptops, one with Win 7 and one with Win 10, and same results. This doesn't make sense to me, as the external hd worked
    just fine before the internal hd crash. So even though I've backed up important files externally, I have the sinking feeling I've lost everything on that ext hd. Any help for this situation?

hard drive crash / external hard drive question- Original Title

mysterio2, Nov 25, 2015
  4. edobson Win User

An advantage of an external HDD is the portability, but it's purely down to preference and how you will use the extra 1TB drive, there isn't really a definitive answer to your question.

Personally, I would just go with an external because I would want the portability but others may have differing opinions.

edobson, Nov 25, 2015
  5. lx07 Win User
    It is worth having a backup drive that isn't permanently connected - then if you get a crypto virus (or someone steals your PC) you don't lose everything.

lx07, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Internal Or External HD Addition ? - Similar Threads - Internal External Addition

2. Transfer from external HD NTFS to external HD exFat

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Transfer from external HD NTFS to external HD exFat: I copied the contents of my external HD to a new external HD, not knowing I was going from NTFS to exFat. Upon completion, I noticed that the first and last folder transferred correctly, while all the folders in between are empty. However, the new external HD shows 508 GB...
  3. Transfer from external HD NTFS to external HD exFat

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Transfer from external HD NTFS to external HD exFat: I copied the contents of my external HD to a new external HD, not knowing I was going from NTFS to exFat. Upon completion, I noticed that the first and last folder transferred correctly, while all the folders in between are empty. However, the new external HD shows 508 GB...
  4. Saving to an additional internal hard drive

Saving to an additional internal hard drive: My current desktop running Windows 10 has 2TB of storage. I work with rather large files and there are a lot of them. I installed an additional internal 2TB hard drive. I thought I had changed the setting to have all new content saved onto the new drive, but it still saves...
  5. Saving to an additional internal hard drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Saving to an additional internal hard drive: My current desktop running Windows 10 has 2TB of storage. I work with rather large files and there are a lot of them. I installed an additional internal 2TB hard drive. I thought I had changed the setting to have all new content saved onto the new drive, but it still saves...
  6. Saving to an additional internal hard drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Internal SSD HD

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Internal SSD HD: I have an Asus which appears to have internally shorted out. The SSD HD has a ribbon cable attached. From what Ive been reading, I may be able to use this drive externally in a little case with a usb (sata-usb) device. Is this possible? The windows 10 operating system also...
  8. External HD

External HD: External HD is recognized but does not appear in My Computer on Windows 10 PRO system https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/external-hd/d98debb3-1b03-42de-9643-d5d53ad30a5e
  9. Explorer search not working with additional HD

in Windows 10 Support
    Explorer search not working with additional HD: I have tried to rebulid the index multiple times and it still will not work. when I go into a folder containing music and try to search and artist it always says "No Items Match Your Search" This is a second hard drive added to my computer for storage. Anyone know how to...
  10. External HD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    External HD: 1. I have a external HD that is compatible with windows 7 or 8. When I upgrade to windows 10 will I still be able to use it? 2. Can I download windows 10 ISO to a external HD and then install windows 10 right off of that same external HD? 16269