Windows 10: Internal SATA HDD's - convert to NAS storage --any ideas

Discus and support Internal SATA HDD's - convert to NAS storage --any ideas in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi there I've about 4 SATA HDD's that I've removed from computers that I've junked -- all SATA about 12 TB. Is it possible to build an enclosure... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by jimbo45, Dec 13, 2015.

1. jimbo45 Win User

Internal SATA HDD's - convert to NAS storage --any ideas

Hi there
    I've about 4 SATA HDD's that I've removed from computers that I've junked -- all SATA about 12 TB.

Is it possible to build an enclosure and create a NAS drive -- I can easily make external USB drives but I think a NAS storage system would be better. Any ideas of what I need to do --should in theory be easy just need some sort of network card and an OS.

Any help here guys -- much appreciated.

Cheers
    jimbo

:)

jimbo45, Dec 13, 2015
  2. JoeNamco Win User

SATA internal HDD and external SATA HDD

This might help as Windows 10 will not run from a external drive, you can click on Disk Management and will bring up info about drives that are attached to your system, to open disk management right click on the Window logo and click on "Disk Management"
    and "C" will be the active system HD.

JoeNamco, Dec 13, 2015
  3. SATA internal HDD and external SATA HDD

I have a SATA internal HDD that supposed to be my main operational disk but I bought a "lay flat docking station" for Another SATA internal HDD that I cloned from my internal drive on my tower. But now I look at the properties on both drives and they both
    say they are online. Is it bad to have them working that way because I don't know what drive is working at any given time? I'm assuming I need to go into the BIOS and set it to which drive I want?

deerpark243, Dec 13, 2015
  4. lx07 Win User

It depends what you've got lying around and what you want to do with it I suppose. You'll need a case, PSU, motherboard (accepting 4 SATA?) perhaps RAID controller, UPS? etc

Or you could setup a home server...

Or you could buy one which may be cheaper and use less power - this looks like a cheap 4 bay one QNAP TS-431 4 Bay Desktop NAS: Amazon.co.uk: Computers Accessories

5. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there
    Thanks -- I think that's the best solution -- buy a 4 Bay NAS -- they seem cheap enough. The decent ones too have USB connectors so one can upload from local HDD's too and also can run a PLEX server.
    Good solution --Thanks.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Internal SATA HDD's - convert to NAS storage --any ideas - Similar Threads - Internal SATA HDD's

2. HDD SATA DISAPPEARED

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    HDD SATA DISAPPEARED: After updating to Windows 11, my HDD disks disappeared. The ssd drives are in place and working. But the most interesting thing is that they are perfectly visible in the BIOS, but they are nowhere in the OS. When you roll back to Windows 10, they start working again.How to...
  3. HDD SATA DISAPPEARED

in Windows 10 Gaming
    HDD SATA DISAPPEARED: After updating to Windows 11, my HDD disks disappeared. The ssd drives are in place and working. But the most interesting thing is that they are perfectly visible in the BIOS, but they are nowhere in the OS. When you roll back to Windows 10, they start working again.How to...
  4. Convert Win2GO back to running from INTERNAL HDD again

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Convert Win2GO back to running from INTERNAL HDD again: Hi folks This is much easier than it looks -- simply from the WIN2GO system you've created from your VM and a bootable current Windows ISO boot the iso and get into command mode (repair system--> etc etc). Then capture image from the bootable Win2GO system via /dism, fix the...
  5. Internal Storage

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Internal Storage: Hello, I recently purchased a 1TB internal storage laptop for my nephews and I wanted to know why the storage has been divided to two? 500GB to each one of us. Can I give more storage for him since he will be the one who will be using this more than me for his school. Or is...
  6. Convert IDE enclosure to take a sata 3.5 HDD.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Convert IDE enclosure to take a sata 3.5 HDD.: Hi, Not sure that this is the correct thread for this question ..... but here goes. I have a 3.5inch Sata HDD which I would like to use, and assumed that I would require a Sata type enclosure in order to use it. I have an empty IDE enclosure and have heard it can be...
  7. Convert IDE enclosure to take a sata 3.5 HDD.

in Windows 10 Support
    Convert IDE enclosure to take a sata 3.5 HDD.: Hi, Not sure that this is the correct thread for this question ..... but here goes. I have a 3.5inch Sata HDD which I would like to use, and assumed that I would require a Sata type enclosure in order to use it. I have an empty IDE enclosure and have heard it can be...
  8. Internal HDD's jumbled up, on SATA ports?

Internal HDD's jumbled up, on SATA ports?: Hi, Ive just taken a look at my hdds in disk management, and everything seems mixed up. Im pretty sure c:\ (windows) is on sata 0, but here its disk 2? is it important that its disk 0? am i doing something wrong? also, i just plugged an external hdd in, and it became d:\...
  9. Unable to Detect 4th Internal SATA HDD

Unable to Detect 4th Internal SATA HDD: Hi, My motherboard is: GIGABYTE p55a-ud3p As you can see below, Windows 10 detected all 4 HDDs: [img] And they are enabled in the BIOS (I think?): [img] [img] [img] Please advise. Thanks in advance! 48056
  10. Internal HDD

Internal HDD: Hi All.I have a Zoostorm desktop had it at the end of last year. It has a SSD & a Second hdd ''spinner''.All is working well the only issue is when I want to open a document there is a slight delay in the opening of it as all documents pictures etc are all stored on the...