Windows 10: Internal secondary hard drive not recognised

Discus and support Internal secondary hard drive not recognised in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; After fitting SSD (C: drive) to my Win10 machine I connected the old hard drive as a secondary storage drive. Win10 does not "see" it! But Belarc... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by lvr181, Oct 4, 2018.

1. lvr181 Win User

Internal secondary hard drive not recognised

After fitting SSD (C: drive) to my Win10 machine I connected the old hard drive as a secondary storage drive.

Win10 does not "see" it!
    But Belarc Adviser "sees" the hard drive!

How to force Win 10 to recognise the secondary drive? Simple steps please for a non-techie.

Thanks.

:)

lvr181, Oct 4, 2018
  2. Sichuan Win User

Computer Management-Upgraded Internal Secondary Hard Drive

I have a Dell XPS-17 L702X laptop running Windows 10 Pro x64. I upgraded my 500GB internal secondary drive to a 1TB drive. I did not do a quick format of this new 1TB but rather did the full, longer format. The new, upgraded 1TB secondary drive was made active and assigned the drive letter D, which is the same drive letter as the original 500GB internal secondary drive. I don't have any problems accessing this new 1TB Drive D but I notice a problem with the drive listings in Computer Management.

I know that Drive C is the OS drive and is marked Disk 0 and that my internal secondary Drive D should be marked as Disk 1. However, the internal secondary drive is listed twice, once as Disk 1 partition 1 (Simple-Basic-Raw-Formatting) and also as New Volume D (Simple-Basic-NTFS-Healthy Active Primary Partition). I think I made a mistake during the initial formatting when I chose quick format and then cancelled the operation, instead selecting the full format.

I believe that my new, internal secondary drive should be marked in Computer Management as Disk 1 partition 1 (Simple-Basic-NTFS-Healthy Active Primary Partition). How do I remove the extra listing "Disk 1 partition 1 (Simple-Basic-Raw-Formatting), which is the third listing down from the top? I don't know why is still shows as "Formatting" because when I attempt to cancel this listing it tells me that it is already formatted.

I have attached a screenshot of my Computer Management window. You can disregard "New Volume F" as this is an external 1TB drive that I use as a backup for my Drive D and also to store a redundant copy of an Acronis full backup of Drive C. I am currently transferring the information from my old 500 GB Secondary Drive D which I had previously copied to New Volume F, from the New Volume F drive to my new 1TBSecondary Drive D, the one listed as New Volume D (Simple-Basic-NTFS-Healthy Active Primary Partition).

How do I remove the extra listing "Disk 1 partition 1 (Simple-Basic-Raw-Formatting) and if I remove it will the listing now shown as New Volume D (Simple-Basic-NTFS-Healthy Active Primary Partition) be relisted as Disk 1 partition 1 (Simple-Basic-NTFS-Healthy Active Primary Partition) or will it still be listed as New Volume D (Simple-Basic-NTFS-Healthy Active Primary Partition)? I can't find any way to delete "Disk 1 partition 1 (Simple-Basic-Raw-Formatting)" and I don't know if I will cause problems by deleting it. In any event, I have an extra drive listing in Computer Management that should not be there.

I have also attached a screenshot of how these drives are listed on my computer under "This PC" in the Start Menu. I could be wrong, but I believe that my internal secondary drive should be listed as Local Disk D.

Thank you in advance for your time and assistance.

Sichuan, Oct 4, 2018
  3. W10 File History Not Backing Up Internal Secondary Drive.

• Can you access your external hard drive and the files associated with it?
      Yea, everything is accessible. Just like a normal internal drive.

• Does your PC recognize your external hard drive? Yup, everything runs to my knowledge no differant.
    • Have you made any software or hardware changes to your device prior to the issue?
      No software/hardware changes other than installing this new internal secondary drive. The drive that my backup drive won't backup.
    • Are there any error messages that appear when you attempt to back up your files to your main back up drive?
      No errors, no warning, no indication at all anything is not working.
    • If you attempt to copy a file to the external hard drive, does the file appear on the hard drive?
      Yes. All drives copy/paste, read/write normally. The only thing that doesnt seem to work is W10 Backup not backing up my secondary internal drive to my external backup drive.

David Paplia, Oct 4, 2018
  4. Internal secondary hard drive not recognised

Hard drive not recognised

Computer has 2 drives a SSID that that it boots from and a internal hard drive. It doesn't recognise that hard drive on file explorer. Disk management shows the disc as there but unknown and not initialised with a red arrow. Disc contains data that
    I don't want to overwrite.

How do I restore the recognition?

markleigh1, Oct 4, 2018
Thema:

Internal secondary hard drive not recognised

1. Internal secondary hard drive not recognised - Similar Threads - Internal secondary hard

2. accident with secondary hard drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    accident with secondary hard drive: hello! i've been encountering issues with my hard drive. i accidentally deleted the partition on my other hard drive that i believe manages knowing what other partitions are and their file types.i now have a disk that has a 340gb partition without a file system that doesn't...
  3. accident with secondary hard drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    accident with secondary hard drive: hello! i've been encountering issues with my hard drive. i accidentally deleted the partition on my other hard drive that i believe manages knowing what other partitions are and their file types.i now have a disk that has a 340gb partition without a file system that doesn't...
  4. Iomega Hard Drive not Recognised

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Iomega Hard Drive not Recognised: My Iomega Hard Drive which has been working on my home network for over 5 years is not seen by either of the two pc's running Windows 10 since January 2020. I am therefore unable to access to save or view any media. Can you advise please?...
  5. How can I tell if Windows recognises my secondary drive as internal?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How can I tell if Windows recognises my secondary drive as internal?: I reset my Windows 10 laptop recently and was jittered by a 'select what to do with removable media' notification with my secondary data drive- an internal HDD. This notification hasn't reappeared since, and the drive works fine, but in a little kick of OCD I really want to...
  6. Windows 10 won't recognise my internal hard drive.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 won't recognise my internal hard drive.: I have an internal hard drive of 320GB. Recently my computer started failing to boot. Everything wasn't working even system restore command using CMD. Today I tried using my USB to format it but my hard drive isn't showing. The only thing that's recognised is the USB which...
  7. Hard Drive Not Recognised

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Hard Drive Not Recognised: I have a Dell Inspiron with a SSD 128GB and an HDD 1TB. I am not technically knowledgeable, but have been able to run all diagnostics I can trace regarding my issue. The HDD is no longer visible in File Explorer. I have run an F2 and an F12 diagnostic from the Dell boot...
  8. Internal Hard Drive

Internal Hard Drive: I have an internal hard drive i got from my day that came out of his desk top. It has a lot of data on it i want to recover and put onto an external dar drive. I can see the drive when i run diskmgmt but cannot right click on it or browse files. I get this error with it "was...
  9. Computer Management-Upgraded Internal Secondary Hard Drive

Computer Management-Upgraded Internal Secondary Hard Drive: I have a Dell XPS-17 L702X laptop running Windows 10 Pro x64. I upgraded my 500GB internal secondary drive to a 1TB drive. I did not do a quick format of this new 1TB but rather did the full, longer format. The new, upgraded 1TB secondary drive was made active and assigned...
  10. Clone secondary hard drive to new hard drive

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Clone secondary hard drive to new hard drive: Hi! Bought a replacement secondary hard drive, but want to know best tool to clone it. My main drive is an SSD with Windows on, but I used Kari's tutorial to move the user folder on to a secondary hard drive, so just unsure on the best way to go to keep the User folder...