Windows 10: Internal SSD HD

Discus and support Internal SSD HD in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have an Asus which appears to have internally shorted out. The SSD HD has a ribbon cable attached. From what Ive been reading, I may be able to use... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by drmax, Dec 14, 2020.

1. drmax Win User

Internal SSD HD

I have an Asus which appears to have internally shorted out. The SSD HD has a ribbon cable attached. From what Ive been reading, I may be able to use this drive externally in a little case with a usb (sata-usb) device. Is this possible? The windows 10 operating system also used this drive. There are a few personal documents I would like to retrieve as well. If I can not I will recycle the entire machine minus the drive. Thx, DM

:)

drmax, Dec 14, 2020
  2. ProxCor3 Win User

Reformatting SSD and not HD

Hello there!

I have an MSI Laptop with a 128gb SSD and a 500gb HD.

I have windows installed on my SSD and personal files on my HD. But now my SSD is almost full i wish to format it / reinstall windows 10 on it for a fresh start, but without losing the data on my HD.

I have been using Mac OSX for the past ten and am very out of touch of windows.

Any suggestions on the best way to do this would be awesome.

Many thanks.

Alex

ProxCor3, Dec 14, 2020
  3. ramram55 Win User
    How do i restore windows to a new SSD from an external HDD

Agreed with pendaws.
    Step 1 using free macrium software (install it in your current PC), then clone the internal drive to your new SSD.
    Step 2, At this point the ssd should be your twin of the internal HD.
    Step 3, install the ssd to the pc. boot it up, you are in business. After you are happy with the set up. I am sure you will be. You have 2 external HD in your hands, use one to clone with macrium. If you want, every week or month use alternate one (external drive) to clone your ssd. SSD speed will definitely beats your old HD hands down. If not your SSD is not working right.

ramram55, Dec 14, 2020
  4. topgundcp Win User

Internal SSD HD

Cloning to SSD then swapping drive letters

@SamHobbs
    What you want done is very simple and can be done in short period of time. Here's my suggestion:
    There's 2 modes that Windows can be installed: UEFI and the old legacy MBR. Open Disk Management, look at the disk where your C drive is, if there's a
    1. EFI System Partition, your Windows was installed using UEFI.
    2. System Reserved partition, your Windows was installed using MBR
    Next, Connect your SSD to an available Sata port (no need to format or do anything). Download: Macrium Reflect Free . Install and run. Follow the steps below:
    1. From Macrium, click on image this disk under your C drive and save it to either an Internal or External Drive. This will create a single backup image of the whole disk containing your C drive.
    2. Again, from Macrium, click on Restore tab and select the image created from step 1, Select your SSD as the destination drive, click Next->Finish
    3. Exit Macrium. If your Windows was installed using MBR, Open disk management and make sure the SSD is marked "Active" else go to next step.
    4. Shutdown your PC. Disconnect the HD containing Windows C drive then connect your SSD to it.
    5. Reboot. Your PC should boot and the Windows should have C as the drive letter.

NOTE: The procedure above is to backup your Windows to an image file then copy it back to the SSD. This ensures proper cluster size aligment for the SSD. In addition, Macrium also perform Trimming for the SSD. This is more preferable than cloning.

topgundcp, Dec 14, 2020
Thema:

Internal SSD HD

1. Internal SSD HD - Similar Threads - Internal SSD

2. Internal SSD not showing after Bitlocker error

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Internal SSD not showing after Bitlocker error: I had reinstalled windows and everything was fine both SSD cards were working normally then when installing steam games I noticed sudden windows performance issues.As I looked deeper it showed that bitlocker was getting stuck decrypting the SSD cards and becameStuck the...
  3. Internal SSD not showing after Bitlocker error

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Internal SSD not showing after Bitlocker error: I had reinstalled windows and everything was fine both SSD cards were working normally then when installing steam games I noticed sudden windows performance issues.As I looked deeper it showed that bitlocker was getting stuck decrypting the SSD cards and becameStuck the...
  4. Why Settings and Task Manager have different storage sizes after i upgraded an internal SSD?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why Settings and Task Manager have different storage sizes after i upgraded an internal SSD?: As you guys can see, i already upgraded my SSD to 1 TB, meanwhile the old SSD is around 220 GB. I cloned the old storage to new storage. After that, i try to check my Task Manager and my File Explorer, it does not change the Capacity size....
  5. Why Settings and Task Manager have different storage sizes after i upgraded an internal SSD?

Why Settings and Task Manager have different storage sizes after i upgraded an internal SSD?: As you guys can see, i already upgraded my SSD to 1 TB, meanwhile the old SSD is around 220 GB. I cloned the old storage to new storage. After that, i try to check my Task Manager and my File Explorer, it does not change the Capacity size....
  6. Connected external SSD to Laptop through USB adapter and now the main internal harddrive...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Connected external SSD to Laptop through USB adapter and now the main internal harddrive...: So I wanted to use a different Boot device with my laptop than the internal without opening it up, so I connect my SSD to my SATA to USB adapter, turned it on, switched to USB boot on the Boot manager by pressing f12 repeatedly and it Worked!! But when I wanted to use the...
  7. Connected external SSD to Laptop through USB adapter and now the main internal harddrive...

Connected external SSD to Laptop through USB adapter and now the main internal harddrive...: So I wanted to use a different Boot device with my laptop than the internal without opening it up, so I connect my SSD to my SATA to USB adapter, turned it on, switched to USB boot on the Boot manager by pressing f12 repeatedly and it Worked!! But when I wanted to use the...
  8. Setting up a new Internal SSD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Setting up a new Internal SSD: I am Installing a new internal ssd in my computer swapping out the old one for newer. Downloaded the installation media for windows on a blank usb flash drive stick but when I got through the installation dialogue it says unable to find driver. Don’t know what that means and...
  9. Setting up a new Internal SSD

Setting up a new Internal SSD: I am Installing a new internal ssd in my computer swapping out the old one for newer. Downloaded the installation media for windows on a blank usb flash drive stick but when I got through the installation dialogue it says unable to find driver. Don’t know what that means and...
  10. Setting up a new Internal SSD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade