Windows 10: Internet access on a restricted machine

Discus and support Internet access on a restricted machine in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Hi fellow redditers, I have a restricted PC where I can not change the workgroup. It does not have a Wi-Fi adapter, and I do not have an Ethernet... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/dBugZZ, May 6, 2020.

1. /u/dBugZZ Win User

Internet access on a restricted machine

Hi fellow redditers,

I have a restricted PC where I can not change the workgroup. It does not have a Wi-Fi adapter, and I do not have an Ethernet cable long enough to connect it to my router.

However, I have a laptop connected to the Internet, but I can't create an internal network to share Internet because of different workgroups.

Is there any workaround for this? If there is none, is buying a long enough Ethernet cable the easiest and most effective solution?

submitted by /u/dBugZZ
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/dBugZZ, May 6, 2020
  2. jimbo45 Win User

How to restrict wi-fi internet access to kids?

Hi there

On some routers you can enable the time that the router will allow specific Mac addresses (hardware specific - computer wifi card / tablet wifi card etc) to access the internet. Another way is to have 2 SSID's - one hidden that only you use and the other which appears in the wifi list that kids etc can access - this can also be restricted by time. You'll probab;y need to set up a "Virtual switch" for this --it sounds more complex than it actually is BTW. Look in your Router manual under security settings.

Ideally the best way of controlling Internet access would be to set up a Proxy server - you could use another machine for this -- advantage is that you could restrict sites they access and also by reading the log see what they are accessing. If you don't have a spare machine you could set the proxy server up on your main machine which would control access and stop internet access when the machine is down.

If they have their own mobiles - that's another ball game as they could use 4G without needing wifi -- you are on your own on that one !!!. You might as well use a domestic Watering Can to extinguish a Volcano -- would be easier than getting kids to turn off mobile phones (and probably a lot of adults too !!).

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, May 6, 2020
  3. Preventing access to modern app

Ive been tasked with preventing the children from accessing instagram. I've got it listed in my windows hosts file and internet options/security/restricted site but the windows 10 app is still allowing access. Any suggestions other then deleting app which can just be reinstalled?

FrostyWinnipeg, May 6, 2020
  4. Internet access on a restricted machine

Access Denied You don't have permission to access "Steam Community" on this server. Reference

Hi,

Welcome to Microsoft Community. Your interest in Windows 10 is much appreciated.

Which browser you are using?

If you are using Internet Explorer, then try the below steps and check:

Step 1:

Check whether the websites are listed in the resisted area and if they are present in the restricted area remove it from the list and try to access the websites. Follow the steps mentioned below.

a. Open Internet Explorer and click on Tools.

b. Click on Internet Options and click on the
    security tabs.

c. Click on Restricted sites and click on the sites button.

d. If any of these websites are listed in the restricted sites, select the websites and click on the remove button to remove it from the list.

e. Click on close and then Apply and OK.

Check whether you are able to access the websites.

Step2:

I would suggest you to ping the web URL and check whether you are able to ping or not.

a. Click on Start and click on Run.

b. Type cmd and press Enter.

c. Now the website address and check whether you are able to send and receive packets.

Keep us posted if you face any issues on windows in future. We will be glad to help you.

Annu Singh, May 6, 2020
Thema:

Internet access on a restricted machine

1. Internet access on a restricted machine - Similar Threads - Internet access restricted

2. Restrict Software access

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Restrict Software access: I have a problem i cannot seem to find the answer for.I'm using my computer for my business. On it, I have sensitive data via Dropbox that I don't want my employees to have access to. So I'm going to set up a new user account. But in my experience, when I set up a new user...
  3. How to restrict internet access to certain apps

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to restrict internet access to certain apps: I want to minimize data usage when I'm tethered to a mobile hotspot.As such, I want to allow internet access only by certain apps. I want to block *all* internet except by certain apps I select. How can this be done?...
  4. How to restrict internet access to certain apps

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to restrict internet access to certain apps: I want to minimize data usage when I'm tethered to a mobile hotspot.As such, I want to allow internet access only by certain apps. I want to block *all* internet except by certain apps I select. How can this be done?...
  5. Something will restrict internet access to one specific app

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Something will restrict internet access to one specific app: You see, my parents put something or changed something that didn't allow me to have this one app called the Wargaming.net Game Center have internet, but all other apps like Roblox, Steam, or Vendetta Online will access it. I have tried reinstalling it and that will not work,...
  6. Restrict Internet Access for Apps?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Restrict Internet Access for Apps?: [IMG] Hi Guys! Im a bit paranoid about what goes in and out of my pc, and i wanted to know if theres an app for my fears. Im looking for something that blocks ALL apps, best case including windows, from accessing the internet without asking me, kinda the same way User...
  7. Restrict access to a drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Restrict access to a drive: Hi all, My PC use to be solely mine, and now others will be able to use it soon, in preparation for that, I am trying to restrict access to a certain drive so that i can only access it! I have tried a google search and nothing came up for anything remotely close without...
  8. restrict office users internet access... prevent data tampering?

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    restrict office users internet access... prevent data tampering?: with nearly 2500 posts i'm sure the answer lurks somewhere here but time is of the essence... in short i need to restrict access on three work-based [office personnel] pcs with win10 pro, i.e. create user accounts with limited access to the net plus some local folders and...
  9. Restricting Networking Access

Restricting Networking Access: I have two Pcs let A & B. Both are connected through LAN and both are having Windows 10 installed. In both the computer there are two accounts viz. Administrator and Guest. I have restricted the access of Guests in Administrator Account. Now I want to restrict the access of...
  10. How to restrict wi-fi internet access to kids?

How to restrict wi-fi internet access to kids?: Hi, At home we access to the internet wirelessly by means of a modem-router TP-Link Archer MR200, through a SIM and 4G link. The problem is that after the first connection the wi-fi network key of the modem-router remains memorized in the device (laptop, tablet,...