Windows 10: Internet Connection drops regularly

Discus and support Internet Connection drops regularly in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Feels like this is my home, spent the last week in here. Good news- one has been resolved thanks to members, one will be soon. This is the third. I'm... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by keesadad, Nov 16, 2017.

1. keesadad Win User

Internet Connection drops regularly

Feels like this is my home, spent the last week in here. Good news- one has been resolved thanks to members, one will be soon. This is the third.
    I'm running my ASUS laptop wirelessly most of the time, so I can get around my apartment. The router is a Linksys Broadband G router. Starting maybe 2-3 weeks ago the connection suddenly dropped and would not reconnect. After waiting some time, I got it to reconnect. Then after several upgrades and downgrades- up to 1703, down to 1607, up to 1703 then up to1709- the dropping issue is frequent; every boot or reboot, every hibernate or restart or shutdown, and in between. The thing most noticed is that even when I click the box to connect automatically, it removes the checkmark every time it disconnects, not what I have previously experienced. The reconnect usually takes seconds, but if I am downloading I will lose that.

I was recently upgrading a friend's computer when I noticed that my wireless connection dropped, while her wired connection was still working. I have checked the drivers for the Mediatek Wifi adapter and the Realtek family adapter, and both are the most up-to-date.

Can it be my ASUS computer?... can it be the router, which is maybe 10 years old, but which has worked flawlessly until now? or something else you might know about? Would appreciate any thoughts/suggestions you have.

in Mississauga ON

:)

keesadad, Nov 16, 2017

2. windows 10 keeps losing internet connection

I had same thing happen. I had changed the name of my PC to one less impersonal. After restarting the internet connection started to drop out regularly for several days. I realised this may be the issue so I changed it back to the original resident one
    and all was fine again!

PhillRichards, Nov 16, 2017
  3. Windows 10 Internet Connection Problems

I have 2 computers on Windows 10. Both are DELL with same 8Gigabyte of i7Intel RAM. The internet regularly drops out on the Desktop (3yrs old) - but not the Laptop (2yrs old)! The advice on this forum DOES NOT HELP. Reconnecting the Desktop to the internet
    can only be done by rebooting or turning-off and -on the Router. Neither method consistently re-connects the Desktop to the Internet. Both work some but not all of the time. Before upgrade I was running Windows 8.1 - without any internet connection problems. What
    does not happen is the Internet Adapter goes to "Disable". But, despite repeated attempts to "Enable" - this does not happen. Please advise ASAP. I am trading from my house and I find the frequent internet drop-out very irritating!

JohnWElliott, Nov 16, 2017
  4. Samuria Win User

When it drops does the router show it's connected to the net? Being a g router it belongs in a museum it will struggle with speed of modern PC top speed is 54 meg modern routers can do 3 gig the CPU inside is like an ancient pc

Samuria, Nov 16, 2017
  5. keesadad Win User
    Thanks Samuria,
    I was expecting to get this kind of reply, that was almost my first thought, though I didn't think of the 'museum' aspect (lol). I was hoping that it wouldn't be that, I've spent so much lately on other things. Do you have a recommendation for a router that might last another 10 years?

keesadad, Nov 16, 2017
  6. Superfly Win User
    Nothing in IT lasts 10 yrs ... sorry to say - the flip-side is, it gets cheap quite quickly - so regular replacement is not a big deal.

Superfly, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Internet Connection drops regularly - Similar Threads - Internet Connection drops

2. internet connection drops

in Windows 10 Gaming
    internet connection drops: I have 2 win10 pro desktops one keeps dropping internet connections the other does not. Both are connected to the router by cable. Have tried various setting but none workother devices, friends laptop, iphone, etc connect ok by WiFi...
  3. internet connection drops

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    internet connection drops: I have 2 win10 pro desktops one keeps dropping internet connections the other does not. Both are connected to the router by cable. Have tried various setting but none workother devices, friends laptop, iphone, etc connect ok by WiFi...
  4. internet connection drops

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. Internet connection drops?? . . .but shows connected?

Internet connection drops?? . . .but shows connected?: Periodically my laptop will not connect to Edge, Outlook, Extensions etc. However, in the Notification Area it shows connected. The affected laptop computer is connected wirelessly, both Ethernet 4 and Wi-Fi. Signal strengths look strong. I can get reconnected by simply...
  6. Internet connection dropping

Internet connection dropping: I have a dual boot desktop Windows 10 Pro & Windows 7 Ultimate. Both versions are installed on separate ssd hard drives. I never have a problem with Windows 7 dropping my internet connection. but do have this problem with Windows 10. I could run for days without any problems...
  7. Dropping Internet Connection

Dropping Internet Connection: Hi Everyone, hope everyone is well, I wonder if anyone could give me some help, I am asking for my sister as I will be doing the task. She has been having problems with her internet connection, as the laptop keeps dropping her internet connection, I have taken a look at the...
  8. Internet connection keeps dropping

Internet connection keeps dropping: My internet connection keeps dropping. I have changed my network to private, changed my hardware settings to not allow computer to turn off my network card, I have updated my driver for my network card. The problem only happens on this windows 10 computer, all of my other...
  9. Internet connection dropping

Internet connection dropping: Hi, Since I upgraded to Windows 10, my internection drops out every time that my laptop is not in continual use. The connection actually says: "connect automatically" but it still goes off every time I leave my laptop for longer than 10 minutes or so. This is frustrating,...
  10. Internet Connection constantly dropping?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Internet Connection constantly dropping?: Hello All; After receiving the latest Windows 10 Update, my computer's internet connection has been cutting out constantly, at first it was only when I would be playing online games, but now it has become to when I am just generally browsing. I have a 802.11n USB...