Windows 10: Internet Connection Sharing and firewall rules

Discus and support Internet Connection Sharing and firewall rules in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hello, I've recently started using internet connection sharing between two network adapters on my desktop. However I noticed the adapter which the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by fOmey, Sep 3, 2020.

1. fOmey Win User

Internet Connection Sharing and firewall rules

Hello,

I've recently started using internet connection sharing between two network adapters on my desktop. However I noticed the adapter which the internet is being shared to is not respecting the firewall rules I have in place.. its bypassing all the set firewall rules.

Is this intended behavior? Was a surprise to me..

I would like to share my connection to a secondary adapter however I require it to respect the firewall rules I have in place.. I'm not entirely sure the simplest way to go about this.

My end goal is to control the secondary adapters network access (specifically blocking certain IP addresses/ranges).. I really like the fact windows firewall allows me to punch in terminal commands to setup new rules with ease, which is why I have opted to go down this route (internet connection sharing).

This is a home application, I own a router/modem combo supplied by the ISP which is very limited in its capability..

Can anyone suggest a way I can force ICS to respect my firewall rules? or perhaps a alternative solution (preferably software route).

Windows version number: 1903 (build 18362.1016)

:)

fOmey, Sep 3, 2020
  2. SUB
    SuB Win User

Is it possible to share internet connection via remote desktop?

RDP is not capable of Internet sharing, so you can't share Internet using RDP with standard applications. There are many way to share Internet from a Windows box to another one. I suggest you to use VPN. You should do following steps:

1. Run VPN Server on your server with unlimited internet access
    2. Connect to VPN server from your limited computer

3. Windows Firewall Forgetting Rules

I've recently installed the latest version of Windows 10 in my PC. I've blocked and allowed some softwares in Windows Firewall. But Firewall keeps forgetting the rules in 1/2 days. For example, I've allowed Pro Evolution Soccer 2016 in Firewall. But in a
    few days, when I open the game, firewall sends message asking if I want to allow that app or not. Then after checking the allowed apps, I do not see that game in the list, which means firewall didn't remember the settings.

Also, I blocked KMPlayer in firewall to prevent it from connecting to internet (it shows too much ads otherwise). So, I created inbound and outbound rules for KMPlayer and blocked the connection. After that, it was all okay for two days, then again it started
    showing ads, and then checking the rules, I didn't notice the rules there which I created two days ago. And this thing keeps happening. I make the inbound and outbound rules for KMPlayer, it stays all okay for a few days, and then it forgets again.

So, what is wrong with the firewall and what is the solution of it?

[Moved from: Windows / Windows 10 / Windows settings]

Ninad Khan, Sep 3, 2020
  4. Internet Connection Sharing and firewall rules

Windows 10 Firewall won't keep my inbound/outbound rules

Hi,

I realize the inconvenience caused to you regarding the Windows Firewall. I will certainly assist you.

I suggest you to restart the Windows firewall service and check if it helps.

Follow the below steps for the same.

• Press Windows key + R simultaneously for Run.
    • Type services.msc and then Enter.
    • Right click on the Windows firewall services and then restart the services and check if it helps.
    If the issue still persists then I suggest you to remove and then read the Windows fire wall rule.

Hope this information is helpful. Please get back to us with the information required, if you need further assistance, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Anup Karkal, Sep 3, 2020
Thema:

Internet Connection Sharing and firewall rules

1. Internet Connection Sharing and firewall rules - Similar Threads - Internet Connection Sharing

2. Firewall rules resetting

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Firewall rules resetting: All the threads I found on here were years old and always mention reboots or special software like VPN stuff. This is not my case. I'm fairly confident it's specifically Microsoft screwing with me for finding a workaround. Here's the situation.I hate the new Microsoft...
  3. Firewall rules resetting

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Firewall rules resetting: All the threads I found on here were years old and always mention reboots or special software like VPN stuff. This is not my case. I'm fairly confident it's specifically Microsoft screwing with me for finding a workaround. Here's the situation.I hate the new Microsoft...
  4. Firewall rules resetting

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. Firewall rules

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Firewall rules: [ATTACH] Does this symbol mean I have blocked outbound traffic for an application? If so why did the app just check for an update and confirm its current version? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/firewall-rules/870791a0-328a-4d5c-ad0a-be99f93dfdb0
  6. Adding firewall rules

Adding firewall rules: I am trying to get Windows 10 mail app to work, going through the firewall, using "Malwarebytes Windows Firewall Control" . I have gotten instructions from the program maker to do this: Problem: Windows Mail can't synchronize folders: This applies to Windows 10 while Medium...
  7. Windows Firewall: Minimum Firewall Rules for Internet?

Windows Firewall: Minimum Firewall Rules for Internet?: Does anyone who is familiar with Windows Firewall with Advanced Security know the minimum set of allowed Firewall Rules required for being able to browse the internet and stream videos, download files etc? Could you specify which Firewall Rules must be included and set to...
  8. Firewall Rules

Firewall Rules: Can you setup exceptions for firewall rules? For example, if I have a port blocked inbound for ALL via GPO, can I create an exception to that rule to allow just certain IP addresses to get through the port being blocked? Win 10 ENT in a domain environment....
  9. Firewall rules

Firewall rules: I accidentally deleted outbound windows firewall rules. Will these reappear? Can this be dangerous? Please help. Thanks https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-security/firewall-rules/1f7cbdda-d9e2-435a-96cb-6caef7699b88"
  10. Firewall rules resetting

Firewall rules resetting: For some reason I'm not able to keep my firewall settings saved. Specifically, apps that I allow through the firewall whether through prompt or control panel reset back to "not allowed.' I think this is happening after each update. It's extremely frustrating as I primarily...