Windows 10: Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) not working - Ethernet and USB RNDIS Gadget (Win-10)

Discus and support Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) not working - Ethernet and USB RNDIS Gadget (Win-10) in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I've recently been trying to set up ICS between my Ethernet connected Win-10 desktop and a USB connected Raspberry Pi - following the procedures... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by David1010P, Dec 18, 2019.

1. Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) not working - Ethernet and USB RNDIS Gadget (Win-10)

I've recently been trying to set up ICS between my Ethernet connected Win-10 desktop and a USB connected Raspberry Pi - following the procedures detailed in a number of YouTube videos and several Microsoft support articles. Despite this, I cannot get Windows 10 configured so that the USB connected Raspberry Pi can actually communicate with the Internet.

The Raspberry Pi shows up as an "Ethernet/RNDIS Gadget" network adapter (as expected) which is shared from the Ethernet adapter that connects the Windows system to the Internet. From the Windows system I can successfully SSH and ping the Raspberry Pi using its pseudo name "raspberrypi.local". From the Raspberry Pi (after I have SSH"ed to it) I can ping the Windows system by using its pseudo host name "hostname.local", but cannot ping it using its static IP address (used on the real Ethernet adapter that connects to the to the Internet router). The Raspberry Pi cannot resolve or ping any real DNS names such as real sites on the Internet have.

In trying to debug and fix this I noticed that the Windows Internet Connection Sharing service wasn't running, so started it and changed its start up to automatic. After numerous reboots, this has had no impact on the problem.

I tried disabling IPv6 on the Raspberry Pi's adapter on the Windows system, which also had no effect on the problem.

I even tried turning off ICS and bridging the Ethernet adapter connected to the Internet and the Raspberry Pi's USB adapter, but all that did was break my Windows system's ability to connect to the Internet - so i quickly undid it.

I tried assigning the Raspberry Pi's adapter on Windows a static IP address (rather than the default DHCP address) and pointing it to my Internet gateway and local DNS service from the "Network & Internet/Ethernet" menu - but this also didn't do anything to help the situation.

I temporarily disabled my Norton firewall, but this had no impact on the problem as well.

I've tried countless tweaks, just to find something that works - but so far nothing has - to get the Raspberry Pi connected to the Internet through my Windows system.

One rather weird thing is that whenever I try to open the "Network Connections" folder from the start menu or open the adapter properties - my very fast system can take 1 or 2 minutes to open these items. (Normally my desktop system is very fast and responsive, as I can open pretty much anything else in a second or so). It's not like the system is at all busy or doing lots of network communication either - it's just an odd mystery about why some of the network related folders and pop-up panels take so long to come up (and sometimes equally long to go away again after hitting "OK" or "Cancel").

I'd used ICS for years on older versions of Windows, but am wondering if it is simply broken under Windows-10 (PRO, at its current maintenance level) for non-WiFi devices right now? Any thoughts or suggestions would be much appreciated.

:)

David1010P, Dec 18, 2019
  2. I3V
    i3v Win User

ICS (Internet connection sharing) dosent work in Windows 10 1607

For me, ICS recently broke on 1703 a while ago.

Down to «Error 1753: There are no more endpoints available from the endpoint mapper. ».

I've migrated to 1709 - and for a couple of days it worked normally. Now, it's broken again.

There's a chance that some common update package causes this on all versions. But I've not tried to find it yet.

Related feedback on feedback hub (for insiders):

Non of them looks 100% perfect for me, so I've created one more:

Please consider upvoting, adding screenshot, your reproductions and etc if you want this fixed.

Personally, I was able to fix this by resetting firewall rules, as suggested in

Problems with Internet Connection Sharing after 2017-11 Windows 10 Update [Temporary fix found]

Simply do "Start -> type 'firewall' -> restore default policy" (consider creating a backup with "export Policy" before erasing it).

I'm not sure, maybe the issue would be back in a couple of days....

3. SamiEL Win User
    Windows 10 ICS Issues.

Hey all,

I am currently using a USB Data Modem on my laptop. I'm trying to share my USB Modem's connection with my router using an Ethernet cord and the windows 10 ICS tool. This worked flawlessly on windows 7, but for some reason is not working on windows 10.

My Set Up.
    *3G USB Modem
    *Acer 5750G Laptop
    *CAT5 Ethernet Cord.
    *DWL-3200AP Router.

Steps I took.
    *Connected the Ethernet cord to my Laptops LAN connection.
    *Connected the Second End of the Ethernet Cable to Router's WAN Connection.
    *USB Modem Connected.
    *Shared Connection on Modem with Ethernet with ICS.

SamiEL, Dec 18, 2019
  4. Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) not working - Ethernet and USB RNDIS Gadget (Win-10)

Windows 10 1709 Update - Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) No Longer Works

There are several reports of ICS not functioning since the fall update to windows 10 - 1709. Just to complete the series of problems reported (and since the problem persists after 2 cumulative updates) I'll report another.

Have been using a USB connected smart phone as a ICS sharing device for my home network for years. Since the update it is no longer possible to change the sharing setting option in the adapter settings. Attempting to mark as off causes the program to hang
    (only resolvable by ending the task). Attempting to mark as on causes an error message "Internet Connection Sharing is currently enabled for connection 'Ethernet_32772'. It will now be enabled for connection 'Ethernet 2' instead". Pressing OK causes a second
    pop-up "An error occurred while Internet Connection Sharing was being enabled. (null)". It never displays as ICS on.

If after a system reboot the USB adapter shows the ICS option 'ticked', the Ethernet adapter (connected to my home network router) never updates the IP address to 192.168.137.1.

Like other reported problems the ICS service is never started - it only displays as Starting...

I've reported this not to ask for help - but to report as a bug with the update release 1709 - so that others wont waste as much time as I have trying to get ICS working. I'll report as fixed once Microsoft fix the bug.

lee the bean, Dec 18, 2019
Thema:

Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) not working - Ethernet and USB RNDIS Gadget (Win-10)

1. Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) not working - Ethernet and USB RNDIS Gadget (Win-10) - Similar Threads - Internet Connection Sharing

2. Internet Connection Sharing, ICS, stops sharing the connection to internet

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Internet Connection Sharing, ICS, stops sharing the connection to internet: Summary:We are experiencing intermittent issues with ICS Internet Connection Sharing and have a hard time figuring out the root cause. The setup is as follows: 1. The PC Host is connected to a RNDIS device Device via USB cable2. The RNDIS Device, when connected creates a...
  3. Internet Connection Sharing, ICS, stops sharing the connection to internet

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Internet Connection Sharing, ICS, stops sharing the connection to internet: Summary:We are experiencing intermittent issues with ICS Internet Connection Sharing and have a hard time figuring out the root cause. The setup is as follows: 1. The PC Host is connected to a RNDIS device Device via USB cable2. The RNDIS Device, when connected creates a...
  4. Internet Connection Sharing, ICS, stops sharing the connection to internet

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. Windows 10 ICS Internet connection sharing is not working correctly.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 ICS Internet connection sharing is not working correctly.: For context, I am trying to use one long ethernet cable to give two computers internet. WI-FI is not strong enough where the computers are located to use that as a solution . One of the computers has two gigabit LAN connections, and is the one that I am trying to enable ICS...
  6. Windows 10 ICS Internet connection sharing is not working correctly.

Windows 10 ICS Internet connection sharing is not working correctly.: For context, I am trying to use one long ethernet cable to give two computers internet. WI-FI is not strong enough where the computers are located to use that as a solution . One of the computers has two gigabit LAN connections, and is the one that I am trying to enable ICS...
  7. Windows 10 ICS Internet connection sharing is not working correctly.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  8. how to get windows to use correct driver USB Ethernet/RNDIS Gadget

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how to get windows to use correct driver USB Ethernet/RNDIS Gadget: have some raspberry pi zeros, having problem with driversI got driver from here: https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=usb%5Cvid_0525%26pid_a4a2initially, the raspberry pi was detected as a serial device on com port 7; I was able to update the driver by...
  9. how to get windows to use correct driver USB Ethernet/RNDIS Gadget

how to get windows to use correct driver USB Ethernet/RNDIS Gadget: have some raspberry pi zeros, having problem with driversI got driver from here: https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=usb%5Cvid_0525%26pid_a4a2initially, the raspberry pi was detected as a serial device on com port 7; I was able to update the driver by...
  10. how to get windows to use correct driver USB Ethernet/RNDIS Gadget

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 ics not working

2. internet connection sharing not working

3. internet sharing laptop to raspberry not working