Windows 10: Internet connection slows down after several hours...

Discus and support Internet connection slows down after several hours... in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; About two updates ago, I noticed my internet Ethernet connection, using WOW 500/50 plan, slows down to less than 20 Mbps after several hours. I am... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by DouglasPawl, Sep 16, 2019.

1. Internet connection slows down after several hours...

About two updates ago, I noticed my internet Ethernet connection, using WOW 500/50 plan, slows down to less than 20 Mbps after several hours. I am confirming this through various speed test services. Naturally, I had WOW come out and after going through multiple tests, they determined that I was getting the speed I was supposed to get, all the way up until my computer. Even my WiFi 5G was pulling over 300 - 350 down, yet my ethernet connection was in the teens. We even tried a different cable modem, but the issues continued.

After searching for answers, I came across a user that had something similar, and his resolution was to disconnect the ethernet adapter, reboot and it should go back to normal speeds after it re-installs the adapter on start up. Tried it, hey it works!! speeds stayed stable for a couple of days, and then started to decline once again. I noticed that I can temper this issue slightly by running a script to disable the ethernet adapter, then re-enable it:

Code:
    @echo off

:: BatchGotAdmin

:-------------------------------------

REM  --> Check for permissions

>nul 2>&1 "%SYSTEMROOT%\system32\cacls.exe" "%SYSTEMROOT%\system32\config\system"

REM --> If error flag set, we do not have admin.

if '%errorlevel%' NEQ '0' (

echo Requesting administrative privileges...

goto UACPrompt

) else ( goto gotAdmin )

:UACPrompt

echo Set UAC = CreateObject^("Shell.Application"^) > "%temp%\getadmin.vbs"

set params = %*:"=""

echo UAC.ShellExecute "cmd.exe", "/c %~s0 %params%", "", "runas", 1 >> "%temp%\getadmin.vbs"

"%temp%\getadmin.vbs"

del "%temp%\getadmin.vbs"

exit /B

:gotAdmin

pushd "%CD%"

CD /D "%~dp0"

:--------------------------------------

:: Disables the Ethernet adapter

netsh interface set interface "Ethernet" admin=disable

:: Enables the Ethernet adapter

netsh interface set interface "Ethernet" admin=enable

:: Confirms adapter is enabled

netsh interface show interface

Doing a speed test immediately afterward confirms speeds are back up to over 500 mbps. (I should note that my upload speeds are never affected - only the download speed). The bad news is that this only lasts for about 4-6 hours or so. Does anyone have any ideas on how to permanently solve this problem?

I'm currently on Windows 10 Pro 1903 Build 18362.356

:)

DouglasPawl, Sep 16, 2019

2. WIN10 internet SLOW!!!!!!!

Hello William,

We realize the inconvenience you are experiencing with slow Internet Connection. We will certainly help you.

• Have you installed all pending Windows updates?
    • Have you tried connecting to some other Internet connection and check if the same issue occurs?

We suggest you to connect your system to some other network and check if the same slow Internet connection issue persists. If no then there must be issue with your Internet connection.

Further you can try performing the steps from the link below and check if it helps:

Fix network connection issues

Let us know the status of the issue. We will be happy to assist you further.

Thank you.

Sangeeta Sarkar, Sep 16, 2019
  3. Slow Internet connection

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

We understand the difficulties that you are facing with internet lag in your laptop and in order to get clarity and to assist you accordingly, please reply with the answers to the questions below.

• What is the make and model of the laptop?
    • What is the Windows 10 version and Build installed? (Type winver in Windows search/Run command)
    • What type of internet connection are you using (wired/wireless)?
    • Are you facing lag issue with any other device like a smart phone or a different laptop to the same network?
    • Do you face the same issue connecting the Laptop to a different network?
    • Did you try connecting the laptop using an Ethernet cable?

We would suggest you to refer this article: Why is my Internet
    connection so slow?

Note: This article is for Windows 7,but it holds good for Windows 10

We await your response.

Aditya Roy

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Aditya_Roy, Sep 16, 2019
  4. Remon Ont Win User

Internet connection slows down after several hours...

Slow internet connection from Wifi - Network adaptor

Hi Maegen,

Slow internet connection could be due to outdated network adapter driver or Wi-Fi signal interruptions.

We would like to know some additional information to better isolate the issue:

• Have you tried updating your network adapter driver?
    • Do you have any anti-virus or 3rd party security app running?
    • Is your computer updating Windows or other programs?
    • Have you done any changes on your computer prior to the issue?

In the meantime, we suggest that you try to run Network Adapter troubleshooter and
    Internet Connection troubleshooter. It will find and fix problems with wireless network adapters and Internet connections. Follow the steps provided below:

• Press Windows key + X and select Settings.
    • Click Update & Security, then choose Troubleshoot.
    • Click Internet Connections and Network Adapter.
    • Click Run the troubleshooter.

We will wait for your response.

Remon Ont, Sep 16, 2019
Thema:

Internet connection slows down after several hours...

1. Internet connection slows down after several hours... - Similar Threads - Internet connection slows

2. wireless connection slows down internet connection

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    wireless connection slows down internet connection: When the laptop is connected to our internal network, our speeds drop to almost zero. The wireless driver appears to be up to date and working properly. Any solution?...
  3. Internet slows down

Internet slows down: This started happening about 2 weeks ago, I would get on my hp slim desktop and whenever we would use it the whole internet in my home would go really slow.I’ve reset my computer completely and unplugged the Ethernet cord to try and use the wifi but it still did the same...
  4. Internet connection slows down once i connect to MIFI.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Internet connection slows down once i connect to MIFI.: It happens only when i connect to my mifi, I haven't tested it with other type of tethered connection but the internet speed is just like the usual on my phone and my ipad. It has 1 Mbps. but once i try to connect to mifi in my computer, the connection is really slow, less...
  5. Internet Connection Down after BSOD

Internet Connection Down after BSOD: First of all, i have fine and stable internet connection until i get BSOD when using Zoom Meeting. And it says "Thread Stuck in Device". After restarting, one of my application, Discord can't be open and stuck in the update loading. After a long time i just realise that not...
  6. Laptop's internet slows down when connected to wifi

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Laptop's internet slows down when connected to wifi: All the other devices connected to the wifi works just fine but the internet on my laptop is super slow. When I try running speed test it goes to a certain speed and stops and gives me an error. The are no issues if I connect it to my mobile hotspot. I tried scanning the...
  7. Internet slows down, until a network reset. and then it happens again after about 2 hours

Internet slows down, until a network reset. and then it happens again after about 2 hours: Hoping someone can help me with this issue! for over 6 months now, my internet has been slowing down as I use my laptop. I know it's not a problem with my internet because this doesn't happen to my other devices. On startup my speed is typically around 25mbps download...
  8. Slowed down internet

Slowed down internet: I have a problem related to internet and network settings in Windows 10. The problem what I am currently experiencing is that the internet speed is slowed down significantly to 3% of the contracted speed. Normally I get 100Mbps from speedtest, but everytime I experiencing...
  9. My internet slows down after 'sleeping'

My internet slows down after 'sleeping': Hi, I just got a brand new PC 1.5 month ago, but I have noticed whenever I leave my PC and it goes into sleeping mode - and wake it up again, my internet is slow despite Speedtest.net shows I have full 300 Mbps speed. I have tested it on a few sites, where fx the graphics...
  10. After some hours of uptime, downloading slows down the computer

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    After some hours of uptime, downloading slows down the computer: Hi, I have a weird problem. After some hours of uptime, 4 to 8 hours generally, when I download a file to any place: memory (when Firefox starts download files before saving to disk), system's SSD, internal or external HDD or usb key; the computer slows down: mouse and...