Windows 10: internet download speed varies widely

Discus and support internet download speed varies widely in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; In past 6 months my internet download speed as measured by https://www.spectrum.com/internet/speed-test.html has been around 180 mbps. I have noticed... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Ken_107, Jul 30, 2019.

1. Ken_107 Win User

internet download speed varies widely

In past 6 months my internet download speed as measured by https://www.spectrum.com/internet/speed-test.html has been around 180 mbps. I have noticed in the past week the download speed is around 25. The upload speed has remained about the same, around 11 mbps. Various support people have suggested a number of things, none have made a difference: uninstalling latest windows 10 update 1903; verifying latest adapters are installed; verifying latest bios installed; hardware diagnostics ran and passed. No new software has been installed. Been using same ISP and router. I have an Apple computer in house and it still gets faster download speed so I don;t think problem is related to wifi, ISP, etc.

:)

Ken_107, Jul 30, 2019

2. win 10 Internet speed varies by user. why!

I have Comcast internet - computer is Dual Boot win 7- on Sandisk SSD, and win 10 Build 10532 on InteL SSD, with 3 users.

• User 1 (my insider account) which has been successively upgraded to the present build,
    • User 2 ( a local account which I use for comparison and test installations of software
    • User 3 ( another local account which is basically all win 10 ( only a couple of 3rd party software) as installed by Microsoft
    • As a reference point win 7 (same hardware except for the Sandisk SSD, is gives me 29 to 25 MB/s speed

The problem is: my internet speed on user 1 varies from 0 to (rarely) an occasional burst to 15 Mb/s)

The speed for the other 2 users is from 20 to 30 Mb/s, depending on time of day ( a Comcast issue).

This difference persists whether I use the Comcast utility for the test, or another test source.

This issue was only noticed after the upgrade from the July 29 release version to the current build, but I had never seen any reason to test the speed before that, so I have no earlier speed data.`

Questions: Since all 3 users were obviously upgraded simultaneously from the same download/build, isn't this kind of difference a bit strange? I checked the drivers, settings, and so forth. If there is some obvious difference I am overlooking , what is
    it?

Should I convert one of my local accounts to a Microsoft insider account and see if that changes anything?

Anything else?

Warren H Turner, Jul 30, 2019
  3. Slow Download Speed

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft forums.

• I would suggest you to test the speed using any of the speed test website or app to confirm the upload and download speed.
    • I also suggest you to reset the wireless router to check if that helps.
    • You may plug in the Ethernet cable if available and check the speed.

Hope the information is helpful. Feel free to write to us for any other assistance with Windows, we’ll be glad to assist you

Rajeshwari_Patil, Jul 30, 2019
  4. internet download speed varies widely

win 10 Internet speed varies by user. why!

Thanks for the reply, but with all due respect, you must be using a different definition of "speed" than I was.

I was using the result(s) reported by the various internet speed measurement sites such as Speedtest by Ookla - The Global Broadband Speed Test, or

www.verizon.com/speedtest

(Verizon Communications "

Use the Verizon Speed Test to measure your network's upload and download speeds.")
    These results translate directly to how long it takes to load a web page, download a file, display an image, and other practical considerations.

An example (worse but typical case) -

If I try to access a web page on on of my favorite sites, as a insider user, it takes so long as to be nearly useless. (like the dialup days) Running a speed test (Speedtest by Ookla - The Global Broadband Speed Test) reports download/upload speed as 0.69/0.42 MB/s, confirming the
    observation.

But if I sign in (did not reboot, just switched) to another user) I see up/down speeds of 24.29/6.05 MB/s. for the same web site. This is a local user which I set up as an alternate to the original insider build. It is on the same disk and build as the
    previous result.

This is not a Comcast issue, but some difference in the computer setup and/or software or ?.

To repeat my original question(s):

Since all 3 users were obviously upgraded simultaneously from the same download/build, isn't this kind of difference a bit strange? I checked the drivers, settings, and so forth. If there is some obvious difference I am overlooking , what is it?

Should I convert one of my local accounts to a Microsoft insider account and see if that changes anything?

Anything else?

Warren H Turner, Jul 30, 2019
Thema:

internet download speed varies widely

1. internet download speed varies widely - Similar Threads - internet download speed

2. Fast Internet Speed, slow download speed

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Fast Internet Speed, slow download speed: Hey guys, so my internet speed is around 60 mbps but I only get 1-5 mb/s when I download games on Steam or Battlenet. My OS is Windows 11 up to date, drivers are updated, and I’m currently running a Malware scan. PC is wired and I can’t seem to go past 5 mbs where as my Xbox...
  3. Internet Speeds Vary Wildly

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Internet Speeds Vary Wildly: I've tested my internet speed on four main sources. Bearing in mind I'm on a 200Mb download speed internet package from Virgin, Here are my results for download speedOokla Windows App - 62MbOokla Website - 103Mb Google - 12MbFast - 110MbThese tests were all done within the...
  4. Internet download speed slow.

Internet download speed slow.: PC originally Win 8.1 - updated to Win 10. Have superfast broadband. Internet download speed significantly reduced/throttled. Can only be rectified by going into Safe Mode with Networking. What is the cause of this? Is it possible to restore full download speed in Normal...
  5. Adding names to photos, text size varies widely

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Adding names to photos, text size varies widely: I have a large collection of family pictures. Sometimes the name gets separated from the picture so I started using Faststone Image Viewer to add to the canvas (bottom) (50 pixels). Then I can type the person's name. These are great for ancestry write-ups. I then put a...
  6. Declining Internet download speed

Declining Internet download speed: Hi All, 1st Time poster after frequenting the forums for sometime for assistance and tips. It's a bit of a weird one, my download speed gradually declines to barely 1mbps but my upload speed stays pretty consistent. My pc rarely turns off or restarts unless...
  7. Varying results on speed tests

Varying results on speed tests: I apologise now if this is in the wrong place but it is a general question. I tend to use ookla speedtest to check my speeds, which are ok but not the best. However, can someone explain why I get a difference in results between using the online test and the windows app,...
  8. Varying results on speed tests

in Windows 10 Support
    Varying results on speed tests: I apologise now if this is in the wrong place but it is a general question. I tend to use ookla speedtest to check my speeds, which are ok but not the best. However, can someone explain why I get a difference in results between using the online test and the windows app,...
  9. Internet Download Speed

Internet Download Speed: Hi, I am running windows 10 on my desktop PC (an old dell machine). I have recently had to do a repair installation and have since had an update download. I now find that whichever of the two internet USB adaptors ( a TP-link or Belkin) I plug in I am getting download speeds...
  10. Internet speed varies wildly on one of several devices

Internet speed varies wildly on one of several devices: I have a number of devices in my home that have access to my wi-fi router: an i-Pad, two smartphones, and my WIndows 10 computer. I run speedtest.net to test the speed on each device. It is always over 100 Mbps on every device except the Windows computer. On this computer, it...