Windows 10: Internet Explorer Crashing

Discus and support Internet Explorer Crashing in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; This seems to be happening to quite a few people on Windows 10 it seems. It has started happening to me too lately. It happens when, say, I have one... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by Cliff S, Sep 26, 2015.

1. Cliff S New Member

Internet Explorer Crashing

This seems to be happening to quite a few people on Windows 10 it seems. It has started happening to me too lately.
    It happens when, say, I have one tab open to the forums, and I open another to get an image from Bing Images to make a point, or just for fun(those who know me, know what I mean, when I use GIF's), I download the image fine, then either switch tabs back or close the Images tab, then BAM: "IE has stopped working collecting information bla bla bla".

So I looked at the crash logs in Reliability History, and found out that it's iertutil.dll that seems to be the culprit:

Internet Explorer Crashing [​IMG]

Normally that could mean either the .dll is corrupted and needs to be replaced*Eek, OR, somehow got moved to the wrong place(accidentally drag & dropped while "surfing" File Explorer, happens to me sometimes*Redface), and needs to be moved back.

So I tried going into File Explorer and and searching the Windows folder. After about 8 minutes it was still searching(Hello! I have a Samsung 850 Pro I expect a little more speed !!!) . So I opened up UltraSearch, pasted "iertutil.dll" in and immediately got this:

as you can see, the path(s) are correct, but I see there are a few WinSxS files also. There could be a possible corruption there, is what I'm hoping.

What I'm going to try, is, cleaning out the Side by Side folder so well as I can using Disk Cleanup and the Extreme version of SFC-DISM:

fsutil resource setautoreset true c:\&fsutil usn deletejournal /d /n c:&Dism.exe /online /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup&&sfc /scannow&Dism.exe /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth&sfc /scannow&Dism.exe /Online /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup /ResetBase&pause

When I finish, I'll wait a couple of days and update this post, to as if it worked or not.

This crash is just nervey(is that a word?) and not really that bad, but should not be happening. Plus, I LIKE PUZZELS*092!
    So stay tuned....

:)

Cliff S, Sep 26, 2015

2. Computer Freezes during video playback in any browser

Hi Alan,

Thank you for posting the query on Microsoft Community.

I do appreciate your efforts and time.

Which browser are you using?

If it is internet Explorer then try the steps below and check if it helps.

What to do when Internet Explorer isn't working: Refer to "Internet Explorer won't open, or crashes immediately after opening" and "Internet Explorer crashes when watching video" in the link below.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/internet-explorer/ie-crashes-stops-working#ie=ie-11

Hope this helps in resolving the issue. If the issue persists, do get back to us. We will be happy to assist you.

Kalpana Shankarappa, Sep 26, 2015
  3. Internet explorer 11 on windows 10 started crashing on pages with embedded youtube for the last 2 days.

Hi,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Community.

I suggest you to follow the below methods and check if it helps.

Method 1: I suggest you to run the internet troubleshooter as below and check if it helps.

1. Type Troubleshooting in the search bar.

2. Once the window open click on View All
    located on the left navigation pane.

3. Locate and select Internet Connection and run the in build troubleshooter.

Method 2: you may follow the steps from the below article and refer to the section “Internet Explorer crashes when watching video” and check if it helps.

Internet Explorer crashes when watching videoInternet Explorer crashes when watching videoInternet Explorer crashes when watching video Internet Explorer crashes when watching video Internet Explorer crashes when watching video

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-in/internet-explorer/ie-crashes-stops-working#ie=ie-11

Note: The above article also applies to Windows 10.

Hope this information was helpful and do let us know if you need further assistance. We will be glad to assist.

Karthicka_R, Sep 26, 2015
  4. Cliff S New Member

Oh yeah, one more thing: I'm also cleaning out IE, specially the IDF's too.

Cliff S, Sep 26, 2015
  5. Cliff S New Member
    OK everyone, it's been 2 days and no more crashes
    It seems to have worked. The Internet Explorer Run Time Utility Library(iertutil.dll) was the problem it seems.
    So if IE keeps crashing, and in Reliability History it gives you that .dll, give this solution a shot.

Cliff S, Sep 28, 2015
  6. tiggeroz Win User
    Hi - I seem to have this issue but am not quite as smart as you so am not sure how to apply your fix :-(... could you please provide an idiot's guide / step by step explanation? Thanks a million.

tiggeroz, Dec 14, 2015
  7. jds63 Win User
    Cliff i have been stumped here with a members IE 11 that will not open, but does open in windows safe mode, any clues for this member on what would cause this, tried just about everything, thanks.
    IE 11 does not open

jds63, Dec 14, 2015
  8. Cliff S New Member

Just run the following in a command prompt:

fsutil resource setautoreset true c:\&fsutil usn deletejournal /d /n c:&Dism.exe /online /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup&&sfc /scannow&Dism.exe /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth&sfc /scannow&Dism.exe /Online /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup /ResetBase&pause

Reboot

And using Ccleaner, clean everything out under Internet explorer

reboot*Smile

Cliff S, Dec 14, 2015
  9. Cliff S New Member
    I'll take a look when I get home from work this afternoon*Smile

Cliff S, Dec 14, 2015
  10. jds63 Win User
    Thanks Cliff

jds63, Dec 14, 2015
  11. tiggeroz Win User
    Thanks a million.

tiggeroz, Dec 15, 2015
  12. Cliff S New Member
    You're welcome. Let me know how it worked, OR, didn't work for you.

Cliff S, Dec 15, 2015
  13. tiggeroz Win User

Well, I ran the script, etc. yesterday and today it seems to NOT be crashing - thanks so much for the advice. I'll keep an eye on it and get back to you if the problem recurs.

tiggeroz, Dec 16, 2015
  14. Cliff S New Member
    Ok thanks for getting back, glad to hear it was an "easy" fix.

Cliff S, Dec 16, 2015
  15. tiggeroz Win User
    Bugger - seems to have stated crashing again.. .might be a different problem... in MSHTML.dll here's the Problem Details. Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

Source
    Internet Explorer

Summary
    Stopped working

Date
    19/12/2015 7:52 AM
    Status
    Report sent

Description
    Faulting Application Path: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe

Problem signature

Problem Event Name: APPCRASH

Application Name: iexplore.exe

Application Version: 11.0.10240.16603

Application Timestamp: 5655348c

Fault Module Name: MSHTML.dll

Fault Module Version: 11.0.10240.16603

Fault Module Timestamp: 565537a8

Exception Code: c0000005

Exception Offset: 00efc5f2

OS Version: 10.0.10240.2.0.0.256.48

Locale ID: 2057

Additional Information 1: 6821

Additional Information 2: 6821dd92735af45f9ea7f0533a38d56c

Additional Information 3: fe1f

Additional Information 4: fe1f06ef19f03624f286eabdc31d0b00

Extra information about the problem

Bucket ID: a1255c5fd557da91d01646392ff1b768 (107789062555)

tiggeroz, Dec 18, 2015
Thema:

1. Internet Explorer Crashing - Similar Threads - Internet Explorer Crashing

2. Internet Explorer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Internet Explorer: What happen if I disable Internet explorer? Is my game and apps will have bad problem after I disable Internet explorer? I don't use Internet explorer. It is connected with Edge. I have chrome as my default browser....
  3. Internet Explorer keeps crashing

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Internet Explorer keeps crashing: I get an error Sysfader:iexplorer.exe I am running Windows 10 laptop and Internet Explorer11. But on Windows 7 laptop I don’t have this problem. Thanks, Ester...
  4. Internet Explorer 11 Crashes Immediately Upon Opening

Internet Explorer 11 Crashes Immediately Upon Opening: This just started to be a problem on two computers I oversee. As soon as you open IE11 you get a white screen - not responding - and then about 20 seconds later it closes. I have tried everything except for a fresh install... I've reset IE to default, I've uninstalled by...
  5. Internet Explorer crashing (Windows.UI.XamlHost.dll)

in Browsers and Email
    Internet Explorer crashing (Windows.UI.XamlHost.dll): We have a problem with Internet Explorer crashing several times a day. Windows.UI.XamlHost.dll seems to cause this. Here is the event: Faulting application name: IEXPLORE.EXE, version: 11.0.17134.1, time stamp: 0x6639744d Faulting module name: Windows.UI.XamlHost.dll,...
  6. Internet Explorer crashing (Windows.UI.XamlHost.dll)

in Windows 10 Support
    Internet Explorer crashing (Windows.UI.XamlHost.dll): We have a problem with Internet Explorer crashing several times a day. Windows.UI.XamlHost.dll seems to cause this. Here is the event: Faulting application name: IEXPLORE.EXE, version: 11.0.17134.1, time stamp: 0x6639744d Faulting module name: Windows.UI.XamlHost.dll,...
  7. Internet Explorer 11 Crash uxtheme.dll

Internet Explorer 11 Crash uxtheme.dll: OS: Windows 10 Pro version 1809 (OS Build 17763.379) IE11 version 11.379.17763.0 While using Internet Explorer, it will intermittently crash. Usually occurs when I go to press a link or a button or something that will refresh or change the page or open a new window. It will...
  8. Internet Explorer 11 crash couple times a day

Internet Explorer 11 crash couple times a day: How do I prevent Internet Explorer 11 from crashing multiple times a day, I have a new pc running Win 10 Pro, the message is "internet explorer has stopped responding" IE 11 start crashing after windows update few months ago. Already clear cache, history, disable addons,...
  9. Internet Explorer crashed yesterday.

Internet Explorer crashed yesterday.: How do I restore IE 11 on Windows 10 home 64 bit? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-performance/internet-explorer-crashed-yesterday/d8cf021c-e025-4bd4-a6da-d3d4aacb5cb5
  10. Internet Shortcut - Internet Explorer .URL causes explorer crash/hang

in Windows 10 Support
    Internet Shortcut - Internet Explorer .URL causes explorer crash/hang: I'm on a fresh install Win10Home64Bit, 1709.16299.125. This occurs the instant I get to the desktop after installation and forever after. Right clicking on an internet shortcut (.URL) in file explorer or on desktop causes explorer to hang and occasionally crash. Occasionally,...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. faulting application name: culauncher.exe