Windows 10: Internet Explorer is still accessible in Windows 11, here's how to run it

Discus and support Internet Explorer is still accessible in Windows 11, here's how to run it in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Microsoft ended support for Internet Explorer on June 15, 2022. But the legacy browser can still be accessed. [ATTACH] While the browser has been... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by GHacks, Aug 3, 2022.

1. GHacks
    GHacks New Member

Internet Explorer is still accessible in Windows 11, here's how to run it

Microsoft ended support for Internet Explorer on June 15, 2022. But the legacy browser can still be accessed.

Internet Explorer is still accessible in Windows 11, here's how to run it You-can-still-use-IE-in-Windows-11.jpg

While the browser has been retired in Windows 10 and 11, Microsoft will only end support for Internet Explorer in 2023.

Circling back to the topic at hand, you can't access Internet Explorer directly. Using its shortcut opens Microsoft Edge, and if you try searching for Internet Explorer in the Start Menu, it displays Edge as the modern experience.

A user discovered a way to open IE and shared the steps online. I thought it was just a prank, but surprisingly it works.

How to access Internet Explorer in Windows 11

1. Open the Start menu, and search for Internet Options.

Internet Explorer is still accessible in Windows 11, here's how to run it How-to-access-Internet-Explorer-in-Windows-11.jpg

2. Click on the option that appears. The Control Panel applet for Internet Properties should open.

Internet Explorer is still accessible in Windows 11, here's how to run it How-to-run-Internet-Explorer-in-Windows-11.jpg

3. Switch to the Programs tab.

Internet Explorer is still accessible in Windows 11, here's how to run it Manage-add-ons-IE.jpg

4. Hit the button that says "Manage add-ons".

5. A new window will open. It has some clickable text near the bottom left corner.

Internet Explorer is still accessible in Windows 11, here's how to run it learn-more-about-toolbars-and-extensions.jpg

6. Click the one that says "Learn more about toolbars and extensions"

7. An Internet Explorer window will open.

It loads a Microsoft support page for the option you clicked. The important point here is that it is fully functional. You can use it to open tabs, visit websites, etc. I wouldn't really recommend using it even for casual browsing, because the program is really outdated, and is vulnerable to security issues. But, if you are interested in more of a nostalgic experience, than a usable browser, the above steps may help you run IE in Windows 11.

TheVerge reports that this method works in Windows 11, but I think it should work in Windows 10 too. It is after all a legacy applet that is present in older versions of the operating system. I tried pinning the opened window to the taskbar, but the Internet Explorer shortcut that it created just opens Microsoft Edge.

As a matter of fact, the company has been working on replacing the Control Panel entirely with the Settings app since Windows 10 made its debut in 2015. But, lately, the Redmond company has made some progress, by adding key features such as app management to the Settings app. This is the equivalent of the Programs and Features applet in the legacy app. So there is a good chance that this trick to run IE could go poof in the future along with Control Panel. But, since IE poses a security risk for its users, it is very likely to be patched by Microsoft quickly.

How to enable Internet Explorer mode in Microsoft Edge

If you want to visit old websites that only work with IE, you can use Microsoft Edge's Internet Explorer mode. You will need to enable this feature first.

Open the Menu and click on the Settings button. Switch to the section for Default Browser, it has a few options. Look for the one that says "Allow sites to be reloaded in Internet Explorer". It is set to its default value, i.e. Don't Allow. Click the drop-down menu next to the label, and set it to Allow. Restart Microsoft Edge, and try visiting the page that you wanted to visit in IE, it should load properly in Edge.

Thank you for being a Ghacks reader. The post Internet Explorer is still accessible in Windows 11, here's how to run it appeared first on gHacks Technology News.

read more...

GHacks, Aug 3, 2022
  2. mixa Win User

Microsoft Internet Explorer renamed to Windows Internet Explorer ?

Internet Explorer is still accessible in Windows 11, here's how to run it wie1.png

Since version 7 of the world`s most popular web browser - Microsoft Internet Explorer was silently renamed to Windows Internet Explorer.Such a step from Microsoft is not a surprise since Internet Explorer is part of the Windows operation system for a long time.Obviously Microsoft corp. wants to state that Internet Explorer is already considered as a part of Windows and not as an external browser (remember the IE and WMP law issues last year!?).

mixa, Aug 3, 2022
  3. Arul_D Win User
    Internet Explorer 11 not working on Windows 10

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I understand your concern and will assist you to resolve this issue.

I suggest you to follow the steps below and check if it helps.

Windows 10 has a built-in troubleshooter to check and fix issues with Internet Explorer. I would suggest you to run this troubleshooter to check if the issue is with your Explorer.

Refer these steps:

• Press Windows key +X, select Control panel
    • Change the view by option on the top right to Large icons
    • Click on troubleshooting and click on the view all option on the left panel
    • Run the Internet Explorer performance troubleshooter
    And also refer the link below and check if it helps.

Internet Explorer help

Hope this helps. If the issue remains unresolved, please get back to us and we would be happy to help.

Arul_D, Aug 3, 2022
  4. Arun B J Win User

Internet Explorer 11 as well as Edge in Windows 10 crashes

Hi,

Thanks for posting your query on Microsoft community.

I understand your concern and will assist you to resolve this issue.

I suggest you to follow the steps below and check if it helps.

Step 1: Windows 10 has a built-in troubleshooter to check and fix issues with Internet Explorer. I would suggest you to run this troubleshooter to check if the issue is
    with your Explorer.

Refer these steps:

• Press Windows key +X, select Control panel.

• Change the view by option on the top right to Large icons.

• Click on troubleshooting and click on the view all option on the left panel.

• Run the Internet Explorer performance troubleshooter.
    And also refer the link below and check if it helps.

Internet Explorer help

Step 2: I suggest you to reset the Internet Explorer and check if it helps.

Refer the below article and check if it helps.

Change or reset Internet Explorer settings

Reset Internet explorer disclaimer:

Disclaimer: The Reset Internet Explorer Settings feature might reset security settings or privacy settings that you added to the list of Trusted Sites. The Reset Internet Explorer
    Settings feature might also reset parental control settings. We recommend that you note these sites before you use the Reset Internet Explorer Settings feature.

Step 3: Clear caches and cookies

• Open Microsoft EDGE.

• After that click on (…) “More action” option which is visible at top right side of the browser and you will see “Settings” option.

• Under “Settings” scroll down and you will see a button “Choose what to clear” under “Clear browsing data” option.

• Once you click on this option you will see list of feature, Select Cached data and file.

• Here you need to check the option you want to clear and click “Clear” button.

Hope this helps. If the issue remains unresolved, please get back to us and we would be happy to help.

Arun B J, Aug 3, 2022
Thema:

1. Internet Explorer is still accessible in Windows 11, here's how to run it - Similar Threads - Internet Explorer still

2. the best way to run internet explorer on windows 11 21H2

in Windows 10 Gaming
    the best way to run internet explorer on windows 11 21H2: the best way to run internet explorer on windows 11 21H2 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/the-best-way-to-run-internet-explorer-on-windows/87b89f8d-101b-4244-b493-9b1eb98368a2
  3. the best way to run internet explorer on windows 11 21H2

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    the best way to run internet explorer on windows 11 21H2: the best way to run internet explorer on windows 11 21H2 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/the-best-way-to-run-internet-explorer-on-windows/87b89f8d-101b-4244-b493-9b1eb98368a2
  4. Why do all fresh Windows installations run IEXPLORE.EXE Internet Explorer still ?!?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Why do all fresh Windows installations run IEXPLORE.EXE Internet Explorer still ?!?: I've got dozens of Windows 10 computers at my disposal on separate networks installed using separate media... Every installation of Windows including fresh installations with latest patches all have an IEXPLORE.EXE process and sub-process running under DCOMLAUNCH process and...
  5. How to use Internet Explorer in Windows 11?

in Windows 10 News
    How to use Internet Explorer in Windows 11?: [ATTACH]Microsoft removed a lot of things from Windows 11, and Internet Explorer is one of them. However, if you want to use Internet Explorer in Windows 11, there is only one method left. You can use IE in Windows 11 inside Microsoft Edge. Here is how to set things up so...
  6. Blocking Windows Explorer's Internet Access

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Blocking Windows Explorer's Internet Access: I've been blocking access to the internet for many programs on my laptop through the advanced firewall settings, since I don't feel like they need to. I've noticed there's many programs that access the internet for sharing user data for statistics and whatnot, but I...
  7. no internet access but still can surf internet

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    no internet access but still can surf internet: Name: Ethernet Description: Realtek PCIe GbE Family Controller Physical address MAC: 48:ba:4e:aa:1b:fe Status: Not operational Maximum transmission unit: 1500 IPv4 address: 169.254.9.79/16 IPv6 address: fe80::dd53:f881:d264:94f%18/64 DNS servers: 120.138.98.18, 120.138.96.18...
  8. Stop Running this Script in Internet Explorer 11, Windows 10

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Stop Running this Script in Internet Explorer 11, Windows 10: I am getting a "Stop running this script? error code in Windows 10, Internet Explorer 11. A script on this page is causing your web browser to run slowly. If it continues to run, your computer might become unresponsive. How do you get rid of this?...
  9. Internet Explorer running in background?

in Browsers and Email
    Internet Explorer running in background?: Now & again I run CCleaner & as usual it comes up with a list of Temporary files, Chrome cookies & cache, Windows log files etc to be cleaned. However, it also lists Internet Explorer cookies & temporary internet files. Why is this this since I never use Internet Explorer or...
  10. Internet Explorer running in background?

in Windows 10 Support
    Internet Explorer running in background?: Now & again I run CCleaner & as usual it comes up with a list of Temporary files, Chrome cookies & cache, Windows log files etc to be cleaned. However, it also lists Internet Explorer cookies & temporary internet files. Why is this this since I never use Internet Explorer or...