Windows 10: Internet Explorer zero-day lets hackers steal files from Windows PCs

Discus and support Internet Explorer zero-day lets hackers steal files from Windows PCs in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; A security researcher has published today details and proof-of-concept code for an Internet Explorer zero-day that can allow hackers to steal files... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by Brink, Apr 16, 2019.

1. Brink Win User

Internet Explorer zero-day lets hackers steal files from Windows PCs

Read more: Internet Explorer zero-day lets hackers steal files from Windows PCs | ZDNet

:)

Brink, Apr 16, 2019
  2. mixa Win User

Microsoft Internet Explorer renamed to Windows Internet Explorer ?

Internet Explorer zero-day lets hackers steal files from Windows PCs wie1.png

Since version 7 of the world`s most popular web browser - Microsoft Internet Explorer was silently renamed to Windows Internet Explorer.Such a step from Microsoft is not a surprise since Internet Explorer is part of the Windows operation system for a long time.Obviously Microsoft corp. wants to state that Internet Explorer is already considered as a part of Windows and not as an external browser (remember the IE and WMP law issues last year!?).

3. Brink Win User
    Internet Explorer zero-day alert

Read more: Internet Explorer zero-day alert: Attackers hitting unpatched bug in Microsoft browser | ZDNet

Brink, Apr 16, 2019
  4. Internet Explorer zero-day lets hackers steal files from Windows PCs

Internet Explorer hit by zero-day exploit, temporary fix issued

Internet Explorer zero-day lets hackers steal files from Windows PCs [​IMG]

Microsoft is urging users of Internet Explorer to download a free security tool, enhanced Mitigation Experience Toolkit (EMET), as an interim measure against a previously unknown zero-day exploit in its web browser software that is under active malware attack by hackers.

Eric Romang, a researcher in Luxemburg, discovered it on Friday after finding his computer infected by the Poison Ivy Trojan, used by hackers to gain remote access to their victims' computers to steal data. According to Romang, further analysis revealed it got onto his computer via a flaw in Internet Explorer.

Poison Ivy exploits a “use-after-free vulnerability” in IE that enables a hacker to create an image URL referencing uninitialized memory. This corrupts the memory and once completely executed gives the attacker remote access with the same permissions as the current user

The vulnerability affects computers running all versions of Internet Explorer from IE6 to IE9, on every single OS release since Windows XP right through to Windows 7 and Server 2008. Interestingly though, Microsoft’s IE 10 running on Windows 8 and Server 2008 are not affected according to Microsoft’s Security Advisory.

“What may be most worrying is that Windows Vista and 7 don’t protect you,” said HD Moore, CSO of security firm Rapid 7, and the chief architect of the Metasploit tool kit, used widely by penetration testers and hackers. “This is one of the few times that a vulnerability has been successfully exploited across all the production shipping versions of the browser and OS. The surprising thing about this is the fact they (Metasploit researchers) got [it] to work across every one of these platforms.”

The flaw could be sidestepped by upgrading from Oracle’s Java Standard Edition 6 to the newer Java Standard Edition 7 version, though this is not recommended as there is another critical flaw that Oracle hasn’t yet acknowledged or patched in Java 7 Update 7, which could allow an attacker to take control of the computer, according to Ars Technica.

The interim fix using EMET will likely prove complicated for many, especially businesses who may suffer adverse effects with existing software used on their networks. Because of this, security firms such as Symantec recommend computer users switch to an alternative browser like Chrome or Firefox, at least until Microsoft releases a permanent fix to plug the exploit.

http://www.techspot.com/news/50193-...by-zero-day-exploit-temporary-fix-issued.html

micropage7, Apr 16, 2019
Thema:

Internet Explorer zero-day lets hackers steal files from Windows PCs

1. Internet Explorer zero-day lets hackers steal files from Windows PCs - Similar Threads - Internet Explorer zero

2. Explorer File Not internet explorer

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Explorer File Not internet explorer: As I am having problems with the preview pane and have had replies but nothing has worked -- May I ask if File Explorer can be removed and then restored.Please see my preview query Preview pane stopped working. and my name is Terence Cotton....
  3. Explorer File Not internet explorer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Explorer File Not internet explorer: As I am having problems with the preview pane and have had replies but nothing has worked -- May I ask if File Explorer can be removed and then restored.Please see my preview query Preview pane stopped working. and my name is Terence Cotton....
  4. 'Zero Day' 'Nitro Zeus'

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    'Zero Day' 'Nitro Zeus': How do you know if your device has been infected. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/zero-day-nitro-zeus/cac08d82-bc0f-4707-9779-f4cce2703b00
  5. Day zero OS updates

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Day zero OS updates: I recently bought a HP Pavilion laptop, which was advertised as complete with all the necessary windows win10 home version updates, yet I have been battling seemingly endless day 0 updates since I got it. Most notably, a feature update to version 1909 which for some reason...
  6. Explorer keeps stealing focus

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Explorer keeps stealing focus: The title is pretty self explanatory, every once and a while explorer will steal focus and bring me back to desktop. I've tried multiple programs that track focus and all of them have said its explorer. submitted by /u/Squizle_3287 [link] [comments]...
  7. Zoom issues fix for UNC vulnerability that lets hackers steal Windows credentials via chat

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Zoom issues fix for UNC vulnerability that lets hackers steal Windows credentials via chat: Zoom issues fix for UNC vulnerability that lets hackers steal Windows credentials via chat https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/zoom-issues-fix-for-unc-vulnerability-that-lets/bced03f3-e737-48b6-8426-2065f57d9a18
  8. Internet Explorer zero-day alert

in Windows 10 News
    Internet Explorer zero-day alert: Scary stuff! Thanks for the tip...
  9. Hackers are attacking Word users with new Microsoft Office zero-day

in Windows 10 News
    Hackers are attacking Word users with new Microsoft Office zero-day: The bug affects all supported versions of Microsoft Word, but will be fixed this week. Attackers are exploiting a previously undisclosed vulnerability in Microsoft Word, which security researchers say can be used to quietly install different kinds of malware -- even on...
  10. Intel chip vulnerability lets hackers easily hijack fleets of PCs

in Windows 10 News
    Intel chip vulnerability lets hackers easily hijack fleets of PCs: A vulnerability in Intel chips that went undiscovered for almost a decade allows hackers to remotely gain full control over affected Windows PCs without needing a password. The "critical"-rated bug, disclosed by Intel last week, lies in a feature of Intel's Active...