Windows 10: Internet not working after Windows 10 Update

Discus and support Internet not working after Windows 10 Update in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Even though Windows Update is meant to solve bugs and give new security updates to your computer, there have been complaints from users that it has... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by WinClub, Apr 27, 2021.

1. WinClub New Member

Internet not working after Windows 10 Update

Even though Windows Update is meant to solve bugs and give new security updates to your computer, there have been complaints from users that it has malfunctioned something that was working fine otherwise. One such complaint is regarding Internet, many users have experienced that the Internet stops working after an update on Windows 10. Therefore, in this article, we present you with some simple solutions to fix the issue.

Internet not working after an Update on Windows 10

These are the things you can do to fix the Internet not working after an update on Windows 10

1. Restart your Device
    2. Check your Settings
    3. Check if the Router is accessible
    4. Forget and Reconnect
    5. Use Network Troubleshooting
    6. Reset network stack
    7. Uninstall the problematic Update
    8. Use Hardware and Devices troubleshooter
    9. Use Network Reset.

Let us talk about them in detail.

1] Restart your Device

This is pretty basic but the most common errors in Windows 10 can be fixed by restarting the computer. So, if your Internet has stopped working after an update, try restarting your computer and check if the issue is fixed.

Another thing you should do is restart your Router. Just unplug it, wait for a minute or two, re-plug and check if it fixes the issue.

2] Check your Settings

An update can turn off some network devices on your computer. Therefore, we need to check your Settings.

Enable Wi-Fi

Internet not working after Windows 10 Update Enable-WiFI.jpg

To check if your Wi-Fi is enabled, launch Settings from the Start Menu and click Network & Internet > Wi-Fi. Now, use the toggle to enable Wi-Fi.

Note: If your WiFi is enabled and connected try disconnecting and then connecting to the Network.

Enable Network Adapter

Internet not working after Windows 10 Update enable-Network-adapter.jpg

Probably the most common error one can face after an update is the disabled Network Adapter. So, let’s check if that’s your case. Launch Settings from the Start Menu and click Network & Internet > Status > Change adapter options. Right-click on your network adapter and select Enable (if it’s disabled).

If these settings are fine, check later solutions.

Read: Network icon says No internet access, but I am connected.

3] Check if the Router is accessible

Internet not working after Windows 10 Update ping-router.jpg

We need to confirm that the problem is not because of your ISP but your Computer before moving forward.

First, check your Default Gateway. To do that, launch Command Prompt as an administrator, type the following command and hit Enter.

ipconfig

Look for Default Gateway under “Wireless LAN adapter Wi-Fi” ( or Ethernet section if you use that). Once you know your Router’s Default Gateway, ping your Router. For that, type the following command in the Command Prompt and hit Enter.

ping <Router’s Default Gateway>

Examine the result you got. If all 4 sent packets are received, the connection between your System and Router is fine. You may have to contact your ISP to check if the connection between your Router and ISP is working.

Read: No Internet Access after upgrading to or installing new Windows 10 Feature Update.

4] Forget and Reconnect

If there is a particular network that you can’t connect to, try forgetting and then reconnecting to it. This is useful as it flushes out the stored credentials, IP address, and other network & security settings.

To do that, launch Settings from the Start Menu and click Network & Internet > Wi-Fi. Now, click Manage known networks, select your Network, and click Forget.

Now, click on the network icon from the Taskbar and reconnect to the Wi-Fi. Finally, check if it fixes your issue.

5] Use Network Troubleshooting

Internet not working after Windows 10 Update Network-Troubleshooter.jpg

You can use Windows built-in Network Troubleshooter to fix the issue.

To do that, Settings and click Update & Security > Troubleshooter > Additional troubleshooters > Internet Connection > Run the troubleshooter.

Let it run and check if it can fix your issue.

6] Reset network stack

You should try to reset network information if Network Troubleshooting didn’t fix the issue. To do that, launch Command Prompt as an administrator and type the following commands.

Use the following command to reset the network request handling component.

netsh winsock reset

Use the following command to reset IP Stack

netsh int ip reset

Use the following command to release network configuration

ipconfig /release

Use the following command to renew network configuration

ipconfig /renew

Use the following command to flush the DNS cache

ipconfig /flushdns

Now, restart your computer and check if it fixes the Internet not working issue for you.

7] Uninstall Updates

If none of the mentioned solutions worked for you, try uninstalling recent updates. This self-explanatory, since, the problem was caused by an update, removing it will fix the issue.

Uninstall Quality Updates

Internet not working after Windows 10 Update uninstall-quality-updates.jpg

To uninstall Quality Updates follow the following steps:

1. Launch Settings by Win + X > Settings
    2. Click Update & Security > View update history > Uninstall updates.
    3. Select your last update and click Uninstall.

After uninstalling the update, try restarting your computer and check if the issue is solved.

Uninstall Feature Updates

Internet not working after Windows 10 Update uninstall-feature-updates.jpg

If you haven’t received a Quality update but a Feature update then you have to roll back to the previous version of Windows 10 to fix the issue. Make sure to make a full backup of your user files before proceeding.

Follow the given steps to uninstall Feature Updates in Windows 10

Launch Settings by Win + I

Click Update & Security > Recovery > Get Started from the “Go back to the previous version of Windows 10” section.

Afterward, follow the on-screen instructions to uninstall the Feature updates. Now, check if the issue persists.

8] Use Hardware and Devices troubleshooter

Run the Hardware and Devices troubleshooter.

9] Use Network Reset

Use the Network Reset feature and see if that works for you.

Hopefully, these solutions have helped you to fix the Internet not working after an update on Windows 10.

These posts offer additional troubleshooting suggestions:

Internet not working after Windows 10 Update ping-router.jpg
    This article Internet not working after Windows 10 Update first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com.

read more...

WinClub, Apr 27, 2021
  2. chispy Win User

Creative X-Fi Soundcards and Windows 10 Fall Creators Update 1709 = Complete Disaster / Not Working

Thank you for trying to help , i did tried your suggestion but it did not work :/ , nothing seems to make it work on Windows 10 Fall Creators Update 1709. In the meantime i have bought a new SoundBlasterX AE-5 and it did installed flawlessly , no problems whatsoever. it is up to Creative ( drivers ) and Microsoft ( bug fix ) to fix this huge bugs with Audio.

Kind Regards: Chispy

chispy, Apr 27, 2021
  3. Windows 10 download speed issues

Try this method:
    • First of all from Start Menu, open Settings (Type settings in the search bar and it will appear).
    • locate and select “Update and Security“.
    • in this window, Locate “Advanced Options”. Click on it.
    • In Advanced Options; Click on “Choose How Updates are Delivered“.
    • Turn off Updates from more than one place.
    Your system will not work as a seeder for other Windows 10 users. It will give sudden boast to your Slow internet speed.

lorraine walsh, Apr 27, 2021
  4. AsRock Win User

Windows 10 Update

Well just noticed a pretty large one pop up coming in at 914MB, seems it makes some pretty serous updates.

KB3172985
    Cumulative update for Windows 10 Version 1511 and Windows Server 2016 Technical Preview 4: July 12, 2016

This security update includes improvements and fixes in the functionality of Windows 10 Version 1511 and Windows Server 2016 Technical Preview 4. It also resolves the following vulnerabilities in Windows:

• 3175677 MS16-094: Security update for secure boot: July 12, 2016
    • 3174060 MS16-093: Security update for Adobe Flash Player: July 12, 2016
    • 3171910 MS16-092: Security update for Windows Kernel: July 12, 2016
    • 3170048 MS16-091: Security update for .Net Framework: July 12, 2016
    • 3171481 MS16-090: Security update for Kernel Mode Drivers: July 12, 2016
    • 3170050 MS16-089: Security update for Windows secure kernel mode: July 12, 2016
    • 3170005 MS16-087: Security update for the Microsoft Print Spooler: July 12, 2016
    • 3169999 MS16-085: Cumulative security update for Microsoft Edge: July 12, 2016
    • 3169991 MS16-084: Cumulative security update for Internet Explorer: July 12, 2016

AsRock, Apr 27, 2021
Thema:

1. Internet not working after Windows 10 Update - Similar Threads - Internet working Update

2. Internet stopped working after windows update

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Internet stopped working after windows update: Hi everyone, I installed a Windows update last night and my internet has stopped working ever since. The WiFi network shows as 'connected' and it works fine on my phone but nothing on my computer I tried different browsers. I tried uninstalling the update and pausing Windows...
  3. Internet stopped working after windows update

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Internet stopped working after windows update: Hi everyone, I installed a Windows update last night and my internet has stopped working ever since. The WiFi network shows as 'connected' and it works fine on my phone but nothing on my computer I tried different browsers. I tried uninstalling the update and pausing Windows...
  4. Audio and internet don't work after Windows Update

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Audio and internet don't work after Windows Update: Hello - I have a Dell Inspiron 11th Gen core i5 running Windows 10 21H1. After one of the recent Windows Update, I'm facing two problems: Audio: My Sennheiser PC-8 USB headset mic does not work at all. When I plug the headset in, it freezes up YouTube, Zoom and anything using...
  5. Internet not working after update

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Internet not working after update: My pc automatically installed some updates on my windows 10 after those updates were Installed my internet got really slow and now it's not even working. A couple of my friends also had this issue and formatting the pc solved it, is there anyway to solve this without...
  6. Internet Browsers not working after latest Windows 10 update

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Internet Browsers not working after latest Windows 10 update: So I finally updated my laptop to the latest Windows 10 update (KB5000802) after I noticed the System Memory was bugging out at 100% all the time, which slowed things quite a bit. However, after doing the upgrade and restarting my computer, I noticed any browser (Chrome,...
  7. After windows 10 upgrade internet not working

After windows 10 upgrade internet not working: Error “ problem with driver for Ethernet adapter - driver was updated Error - problem with driver for the Wifi adapter. can not connect at all to wifi or even thru a network cable?......
  8. Internet not working after January windows 10 update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Internet not working after January windows 10 update: So after the latest windows 10 update January 12th 2019, my internet has gone completely down. My service provider says it isn't the modem and sounds like it could be the router. I can't connect via ethernet or wifi. I've reset the modem and router several times. My wifi is...
  9. Password not working and no internet access after windows 10 update

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Password not working and no internet access after windows 10 update: After the new windows 10 update last night, I am locked out of my computer. My password no longer works! Also, my HP laptop no longer has internet access so I can not use the "forgot my password" function. Please provide a way to get around the password so hopefully if I...
  10. No internet after Windows 10 update

No internet after Windows 10 update: We've had this problem for a while now, but every time Windows updates, our desktop computer (ACER TC-605) has connectivity issues. In May, the computer couldn't detect available wi-fi networks, but ethernet still worked. A few days ago there was another update and now...