Windows 10: Internet over Ethernet does not work but Wi-Fi does.

Discus and support Internet over Ethernet does not work but Wi-Fi does. in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; So I tried to connect my Dell G7 laptop to my modem using an Ethernet cord to download a large file quickly but the Ethernet shows no network... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by Graybound, Jun 17, 2022.

1. Graybound Win User

Internet over Ethernet does not work but Wi-Fi does.

So I tried to connect my Dell G7 laptop to my modem using an Ethernet cord to download a large file quickly but the Ethernet shows no network connection. I tried following the steps here Community Post but none of it worked. I have used internet via Ethernet before on this computer so I know that it is capable of doing it. Any help would be appreciated!

:)

Graybound, Jun 17, 2022

2. Trouble Changing Wi-Fi Password

I've been following the following steps to change my Wi-Fi password for some time:

1. Launch Control Panel.
    2. Click "Network and Internet."
    3. Click "Network and Sharing Center."
    4. Click "Wi-Fi...."
    5. Click "Wireless Properties."
    6. Click the Security tab.
    7. Check "Show characters."
    8. Enter the password in "Network security key."
    Those steps have been working just fine, but today I discovered a new wrinkle. If I change the password inside the router first, "Wi-Fi..." doesn't appear in step 4. This isn't much of a problem at home, because I can just change the password in Control Panel before I change it inside the router, but it would be a problem at a public hotspot, or something of that nature. I also tested Brink's instructions in "How to Connect To a Wireless Network in Windows 10," but they don't work for me either. How can I fix this?

gregyurkon, Jun 17, 2022
  3. Dumazi Win User
    Wi-Fi, Ethernet, WinAudio fail to start on boot

I posted this on the Microsoft Community Help board and got little to no attention from the support engineers. Hopefully someone here can help.

I am having a recent problem with Windows 10. I have been running Windows 10 Home Edition from an on-line upgrade on my Lenovo Y510P for months with no issues. About a week ago, I started noticing that after a restart, my system tray icons for Audio and Network (either Wi-Fi or Ethernet) would start out fine but about half-way through the start up process would become marked with a red X or a warning yellow triangle with an exclamation point.

The Audio can be restarted either by running the trouble shooter or turning on the WinAudio service. The Ethernet actually works just fine but the yellow triangle warning icon persists and claims to either be constantly identifying the network or displays that the connection is unknown. Running the trouble shooter finds no problems. The Wi-Fi system tray icon appears with it's obligatory warning triangle and the Wi-Fi will connect to a known network if in range, but there is no Wi-Fi Icon in the Action Center, and no Wi-Fi entry in the Network & Internet Settings list either.

If you list the adapters in Network Connections, the Wi-Fi does appear and you can access the properties for the adapter, but if you try to select connect/disconnect from the context sensitive menu, it does not open a list of locally available networks, instead you are taken back to the All Settings Screen. Likewise if you run the trouble shooter on the Wi-Fi adapter when away from a known local Wi-Fi network, the troubleshooter tells you to pick a network from a list. When you click on the link, you are not taken to a list of networks, but rather back to the All Settings screen.

I have updated the drivers for the audio and both network adapters, The device manager claims all devices are operating appropriately. Malwarebytes reveals nothing.

I suspected the problem might be related shared service dependencies, but the problem persists through a clean boot in which both services and start-up items were tested. Neither a system scan nor a DISM repair revealed any corrupt system files.

I did notice that if I click on the "connect to the internet" icon on the log in screen, I do get a list of the dozen or so available Wi-Fi networks in my immediate vicinity. I can not see that list anywhere once I log into Windows 10 proper.

I created installation media (burned the Win 10 .ISO to a DVD) and performed a reinstall of Windows 10 which allowed me to keep my installed apps. I'm guessing both this and the basic system refresh maintain many settings and registry entries that are likely the source of my problem. Reinstalling Windows 10 did not resolve my issues.

I'm at a loss. Any suggestions?

Dumazi, Jun 17, 2022
  4. Internet over Ethernet does not work but Wi-Fi does.

Marivel Man, Jun 17, 2022
Thema:

Internet over Ethernet does not work but Wi-Fi does.

1. Internet over Ethernet does not work but Wi-Fi does. - Similar Threads - Internet Ethernet does

2. Wi-Fi not working with Ethernet

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Wi-Fi not working with Ethernet: Wi-Fi not working when using Ethernet cable. It says: “Ethernet” doesn’t have a valid IP configuration. It mentions how my data provider may have a limit on my data but can it remove my Wi-Fi connection to my PC? Idk pls help...
  3. Wi-Fi not working with Ethernet

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Wi-Fi not working with Ethernet: Wi-Fi not working when using Ethernet cable. It says: “Ethernet” doesn’t have a valid IP configuration. It mentions how my data provider may have a limit on my data but can it remove my Wi-Fi connection to my PC? Idk pls help...
  4. Wi-Fi not working with Ethernet

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. Wi-Fi does not show

Wi-Fi does not show: My Lenevo laptop doesnot show the wi-fi switch. When you click on the sphere in the right bottom corner it only has bluetooth & airplane mode options. Even in settings > Network & internet there is no Wi-FI option...
  6. Wi-Fi does not show

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Wi-Fi does not show: My Lenevo laptop doesnot show the wi-fi switch. When you click on the sphere in the right bottom corner it only has bluetooth & airplane mode options. Even in settings > Network & internet there is no Wi-FI option...
  7. Internet over Ethernet does not work but Wi-Fi does.

Internet over Ethernet does not work but Wi-Fi does.: So I tried to connect my Dell G7 laptop to my modem using an Ethernet cord to download a large file quickly but the Ethernet shows no network connection. I tried following the steps here Community Post but none of it worked. I have used internet via Ethernet before on this...
  8. No internet with Wi-Fi and Ethernet - Win 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    No internet with Wi-Fi and Ethernet - Win 10: When I connect my LAN cable or my Wifi adapter to my pc it shows it but it doesn’t give me internet.I have tried many things including drivers, reinstalling, resetting, configuring the DNS and many other things but I can’t get it to workMy Windows version is 21H1 1706 - if it...
  9. Prefer Wi-Fi over Ethernet

Prefer Wi-Fi over Ethernet: Situation: My PC is connected to a switch via Ethernet. Recently I bought a Wi-Fi card Asus PCE-AC56. I get a gigabit connection to the switch, but the wired connection to the switch is just 25Mbit because of crappy DLAN. With Wi-Fi I get the full 100Mbit over 5Ghz....
  10. My WI-FI adaptor does not work

My WI-FI adaptor does not work: My WI-FI adaptor in Asus ZenBook 14 does not work and it is shown as idle in device manager. I tried to solve this problem even by reinstalling the windows without help. Regards, Ali...