Windows 10: Internet running very slow

Discus and support Internet running very slow in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; That is what i'm paying for , just got ordinary broadband, was tested wireless, but i connected it yesterday, still had the same problem Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by nez, Jan 15, 2017.

1. NEZ
    nez Win User

Internet running very slow

That is what i'm paying for , just got ordinary broadband, was tested wireless, but i connected it yesterday, still had the same problem

2. I'm not understanding. If you are paying for 10mb and likely its up to 10Mb, love those suppliers, and when you tested you got 10.3Mb. Not following comment "but I connected yesterday, still had same problem"

Caledon Ken, Jan 17, 2017
  3. NEZ
    nez Win User
    sorry, i mean i connected with an ethernet cable yesterday, but still had the same slow running issue

4. Internet running very slow

Okay. Can you confirm the speed you are paying for is it 10Mb. Usually wired reports faster so I think you are at limit of connection, if it is 10Mb.

That means you have to focus on what is going on in your machine. Did you change or update your AV? Are you running multiple AV's?

Caledon Ken, Jan 18, 2017
  5. NEZ
    nez Win User
    Av hasn't changed. I tried switching it off anyway and it didn't make any difference

6. Did you do the Pingtest.net? Especially the Jitter part is important. What values did you get?

Did you reboot the modem?

Is it possible that the modem/router has assigned the same IP to another device before. That could cause some bad behavior.

It is really important to diagnose the actual connection to your ISP and further, then the modem and it's settings, after that we can start looking at the computer itself. Usually a Modem reset solves all issues, especially regarding response times.

slicendice, Jan 18, 2017
  7. NEZ
    nez Win User
    ping 19ms
    jitter 7ms
    line quality b*

8. Internet running very slow

Ok that does not indicate any problems!

What AV and Firewall are you using? Have you tried to disable the firewall briefly?

slicendice, Jan 18, 2017
  9. NEZ
    nez Win User
    I have avg Internet security which I disabled but made no difference. I took the advice of resetting the router, and after taking ages it won't setup! So Internet at all now on my pc

10. Nez could you also please confirm that actual speed you are paying for.

Caledon Ken, Jan 18, 2017
  11. OH, so it seems like a router problem after all. It should not have any problems starting up if it's working properly.

Try to power off the router, then wait 5-10 minutes and power on again.

If it does not help, then do a full reset of the modem using the physical button found on the side.

If that does not help, then get a replacement modem.

EDIT: router = modem (just to clarify that I talk about the same device)

EDIT2: There can be multiple reasons for the modem not working:
    1. It got hacked
    2. It died of old age, has gotten an electric spike, or overheating/swollen capacitors
    3. the storage is full of data logs
    4. the RAM gets full because of too many entries gets loaded to memory

slicendice, Jan 18, 2017
  12. NEZ
    nez Win User
    I phoned plusnet, they got it running again, and now everything appears to be ok. He did give an explanation of how everything can slow down even though it appears from all test results that the connection is ok, and how one device can be ok, like a playstation but not a pc. The problem with the acual reset was a side issue , something to do with incorrect ids and passwords that i had to go into the router settings to change

13. Internet running very slow

AWESOME! Happy networking again! Internet running very slow :)

slicendice, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Internet running very slow

1. Internet running very slow - Similar Threads - Internet running very

2. Internet is very slow

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Internet is very slow: Hi, I'm using the latest version of Windows 10 Home, 22H2. I reinstalled it on Sunday, and it still doesn't fix my internet problem which I think started on Saturday. I visited one site my banking site, and it just shows a spinning "load" sign plus the MS Edge spinning blue...
  3. Internet is very slow

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Internet is very slow: Hi, I'm using the latest version of Windows 10 Home, 22H2. I reinstalled it on Sunday, and it still doesn't fix my internet problem which I think started on Saturday. I visited one site my banking site, and it just shows a spinning "load" sign plus the MS Edge spinning blue...
  4. Internet is very slow

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. Internet very slow

Internet very slow: My internet has been very slow but only on my laptop, i did the speedtest on my iphone and laptop and ping was 13 ms download was 12.87 mbps while on my iphone ping 25 ms and download 32 mbps. i deleted the network also rebooted my router and laptop still the same, my laptop...
  6. Very Slow Internet Connections

in Windows 10 Support
    Very Slow Internet Connections: For the past few days, my wife's computer has been very slow to connect to the Internet. Windows 10, Version 1909 (OS Build 18363.900). Browsers used: FIrefox, MS Edge (not the new one), Google Chrome. Examples: 1. NY Times, 21 seconds to connect, then articles downloaded...
  7. Very, very slow internet

Very, very slow internet: Good Morning For the past week I have been having problems with internet pages being very slow to load, having to be constantly refreshed to display the content and often not displaying the content at all despite repeated attempts. I have had my telephone line and...
  8. internet very slow

internet very slow: previous i use windows 7. i am jio wifi user. but after windows 10 internet is very slow? please give solution for me. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/internet-very-slow/d62d84c4-b418-4796-999a-7d0c1b6d09c1
  9. Very slow internet handshakes

Very slow internet handshakes: Since, I think, the Fall update - there have been a rash coming in over the last four days - all my browsers either fail or are slow (minutes) in making connections. Chrome just sleeps after I have clicked a link, Firefox says "performing TLS handshake" and then has a tea...
  10. Router Internet VERY SLOW!!!

in Windows 10 Support
    Router Internet VERY SLOW!!!: I posted this in the Network forum - but did not receive a good response. Hope it's OK to post it here for a better response. I use COX Cable and pay for 100Gbps. That speed arrives at the modem (the router is separate as of now). When my computer is only three feet from the...