Windows 10: Internet Speed Faster in Safe Mode, Native Ookla App

Discus and support Internet Speed Faster in Safe Mode, Native Ookla App in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hello, hoping someone here can help me. I have spent days trying to figure this out. I am on Win10 Version 2004, all updates done. I have gigabit from... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by seeking, Jul 17, 2020.

1. seeking Win User

Internet Speed Faster in Safe Mode, Native Ookla App

Hello, hoping someone here can help me. I have spent days trying to figure this out. I am on Win10 Version 2004, all updates done. I have gigabit from my ISP, verified at the router, modem. In fact, when I run the native app Speedtest by Ookla I consistently see 960mbps. Using a wired connection.

However, whenever I test the speed in Firefox, Chrome, or Edge, the speeds are much slower. FF is fastest, usually coming in around 600 to 700mbps when using speedtest.net. When I test on fast.com or other sites including my ISP's, it normally comes in around 300 to 500mbps.

I do not understand why I see the speeds in the native app but NOT in the regular desktop environment. Normally I would think it is just the browsers are slower BUT when I restart the computer in safe mode, all the browsers suddenly pull down the same 960 speeds!

I have tried doing a clean boot, disabling and re-enabling services. Unplugged the power supply. Updated/reverted/re-updated the NIC drivers. Tried a DNS flush and SFC scan. Tried to reset the autotune feature. Turned off and on the Defender firewalls. Looked at what is using the Network resource, found nothing. I reset Firefox and Chrome. Set up a new user. Cleared cache, all temp files. Switched between full-duplex and not. Removed the NIC adapter completely and re-installed in device manager. No matter what I do, the speeds never show up in the regular desktop environment.

Can anyone help me with this? I am at my wits end. Again, the speed is seen in the Ookla app from the MS store. Also when the computer is in safe mode. I also verified I have the latest BIOS. Running a desktop computer, HP with AMD processor. Please help!

:)

seeking, Jul 17, 2020
  2. seeking Win User

Hello, hoping someone here can help me. I have spent days trying to figure this out. I am on Win10 Version 2004, all updates done. I have gigabit from my ISP, verified at the router, modem. In fact, when I run the native app Speedtest by Ookla I consistently see 960mbps. Using a wired connection.

However, whenever I test the speed in Firefox, Chrome, or Edge, the speeds are much slower. FF is fastest, usually coming in around 600 to 700mbps when using speedtest.net. When I test on fast.com or other sites including my ISP's, it normally comes in around 300 to 500mbps.

I do not understand why I see the speeds in the native app but NOT in the regular desktop environment. Normally I would think it is just the browsers are slower BUT when I restart the computer in safe mode, all the browsers suddenly pull down the same 960 speeds!

I have tried doing a clean boot, disabling and re-enabling services. Unplugged the power supply. Updated/reverted/re-updated the NIC drivers. Tried a DNS flush and SFC scan. Tried to reset the autotune feature. Turned off and on the Defender firewalls. Looked at what is using the Network resource, found nothing. I reset Firefox and Chrome. Set up a new user. Cleared cache, all temp files. Switched between full-duplex and not. Removed the NIC adapter completely and re-installed in device manager. No matter what I do, the speeds never show up in the regular desktop environment.

Can anyone help me with this? I am at my wits end. Again, the speed is seen in the Ookla app from the MS store. Also when the computer is in safe mode. I also verified I have the latest BIOS. Running a desktop computer, HP with AMD processor. Please help!

- - - Updated - - -

Does anyone have any ideas? I have run MBAM, ADW, SAS, even Spybot and KIS Anti-rootkit. All come back clean.

seeking, Jul 17, 2020
  3. Help with OOKLA Speedtest App for windows Ten

Hi Dean,

Millions of people each day are using a speed testing website or mobile apps to test their internet speed.

To help you resolve your concern, we suggest that you contact the
    Ookla support
    for better assistance.

Do let us know if you have any other concerns.

Raymond Ave, Jul 17, 2020
  4. Mannion Win User

Not yet installed Ookla speed test detected as installed by Microsoft Store

@BulldogXX Thank you for the response. Yes this is true.

Ookla however recommends using an App for the measurement of faster download speeds >100 Mb/s. In my experience this is true and you can get a variation of as much as 30%. I am trying to diagnose a minor issue with performance at the moment and the improved
    accuracy is useful in this context.

Mannion, Jul 17, 2020
Thema:

1. Internet Speed Faster in Safe Mode, Native Ookla App - Similar Threads - Internet Speed Faster

2. internet faster speed but download slow speed

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    internet faster speed but download slow speed: in 10/6/2023 to 11/7/2023 i have download speed so faster 80 mbps to 150 mbps i'm so happy download game in steam and google more. but 11/8/2023 to now my download 22 mbps to 23 mbps but i lock speedtest show faster 80 mbps to 150 mbps. how to fix it? i want speed faster As...
  3. internet faster speed but download slow speed

in Windows 10 Gaming
    internet faster speed but download slow speed: in 10/6/2023 to 11/7/2023 i have download speed so faster 80 mbps to 150 mbps i'm so happy download game in steam and google more. but 11/8/2023 to now my download 22 mbps to 23 mbps but i lock speedtest show faster 80 mbps to 150 mbps. how to fix it? i want speed faster As...
  4. Slow internet speeds outside safe mode

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Slow internet speeds outside safe mode: So, we just moved my partners computer over to my place and setting up internet. His speeds are just garbage.I get 80/80 speed, he gets tops 20/0.5 No matter if we switch network cables. The speed is consistent. So it seems located to his computerIn safe mode, he gets good...
  5. Slow internet speeds outside safe mode

Slow internet speeds outside safe mode: So, we just moved my partners computer over to my place and setting up internet. His speeds are just garbage.I get 80/80 speed, he gets tops 20/0.5 No matter if we switch network cables. The speed is consistent. So it seems located to his computerIn safe mode, he gets good...
  6. Slow internet speeds outside safe mode

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  7. Why Is My Internet 10X Faster in Windows 10 Safe Mode?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Why Is My Internet 10X Faster in Windows 10 Safe Mode?: I have a 400Mbps internet connection to my house. I routinely get 400Mbps on my other devices wireless or wired. However, I only get about 30-40Mbps on my Windows 10 desktop. I can see it starting faster, then it's like something kicks in and it slows down after 2-3 seconds....
  8. Internet Speed Faster in Safe Mode, Native Ookla App

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Internet Speed Faster in Safe Mode, Native Ookla App: Hello, hoping someone here can help me. I have spent days trying to figure this out. I am on Win10 Version 2004, all updates done. I have gigabit from my ISP, verified at the router, modem. In fact, when I run the native app Speedtest by Ookla I consistently see 960mbps....
  9. OOKLA Speed Test Dumb Question

OOKLA Speed Test Dumb Question: Is there any advantage to installing the Ookla Speed Test App from the Windows Store over simply running the same (if they are the same) from the Flash Speedtest.net by Ookla - My Results link? 90174
  10. Speedtest app by ookla

Speedtest app by ookla: I don't suppose many use it other than in browser mode but is anyone having trouble updating the speedtest app from the store? All other apps updating ok but this app is producing an error code when trying to initiate download. I think k it must be at their end because both...