Windows 10: Internet speed much slower after windows update

Discus and support Internet speed much slower after windows update in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; After freshly installing windows, my download speed was around 15-20 mb/s however once I updated it seems to be locked around 5-6. Is there anyway to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by lownverted, Jan 15, 2020.

1. Internet speed much slower after windows update

After freshly installing windows, my download speed was around 15-20 mb/s however once I updated it seems to be locked around 5-6. Is there anyway to remove the lock/data limit?

:)

lownverted, Jan 15, 2020

2. Asus N580VD slow internet speed

Hi Blair,

There are several factors that affect your internet speed. A few would be connection speed, network traffic, hardware capability, and type of connection. To help us identify what might be causing the slow internet speed on your laptop, allow me to ask the
    following information:

• How's your laptop connected to the network? Is it directly wired to the modem/router or wirelessly connected?
    • Were your other computers that were getting 100 Mbps download speed connected to the same network?
    • Were there other devices connected to the network while you tried to download?
    • Have you tried connecting your laptop to a different network? Did you get the same internet speed?

In the meantime, please run a speed test on your laptop. If the internet speed is slower that your internet package, then you may try to update the drivers of your network adapters to ensure that it's up-to-date. Please check out and follow the steps provided
    on this link: Update drivers in Windows 10.

If you're trying to download while your laptop is wirelessly connected to your network, then kindly check its wireless adapter speed by checking its Wireless Network Connection Status. Follow these steps:

1. Right-click the wireless icon on your system tray, click Open Network & Internet settings, then click
      Wi-Fi.
    2. On the right pane, click Change adapter options.
    3. Right-click your Wireless Network Connection and click
      Status

Please take a screenshot of the status page and kindly include it on your reply.

Looking forward to hear from you.

Regards.

Vanessa Yar, Jan 15, 2020
  3. Download speed is much slower than the Upload Speed, using Windows 10 Home

Hi Einstein

I am an independent advisor here to help

I would work through the following steps offered by AngelCarreno in the thread linked below

1. Close the Peer to Peer Update Process on Your PC to Fix Slow Internet after Windows 10 Update

Shut down the peer to peer update process on your PC. That is to say, you need to close the channel which you can download applications and system updates from other PC’s connected to the server since it limits your internet bandwidth seeding to other users.

Step 1. Click Start menu and then type Settings to open it.

Step 2. Select “Update and Security“.

Step 3. Click the “Advanced Options” tab.

Step 4. Click the option “Choose How Updates are Delivered".

Step 5. Turn off the On button.

2. Adjust the Internet Bandwidth Settings

Since windows 10, by default, reserves 20% of the internet bandwidth for the system applications and its operating system, you can’t browse or surf on the internet with 100% internet connection. This solution speeds up the dropping internet speed by trimming
    down the bandwidth which is reserved for Windows 10 and system applications. Follow the step-by-step guide to tackle slow internet after Windows 10 Update.

Step 1. Press Windows shortcut keys Win + R to open Run dialog box.

Step 2. Type gpedit.msc and then hit OK.

Step 3. Give permissions. A pop-up window will open with title of Group Policy.

Step 4. Click on Computer Configuration on the right side of the window.

Step 5. Navigate to: Administrative Templates -> Network – > Qos Packet Scheduler – > Limit reservable bandwidth.

Step 6. Click on Enable.

Step 7. Change the Value from 20 to 0.

Step 8. Apply and then click OK.

3. Disable Window Auto-Tuning

Window Auto-Tuning which is enabled by default improves performance for programs by receiving TCP data over a network. Slower internet speed after Windows 10 Update could hit your computer when Window Auto-Tuning feature is “ON”. While luckily, you can disable
    Windows Auto-Tuning level to improve the internet speed for the Windows 10 update. Use administrator privileges to process the following steps.

Step 1. Press Win + X and then select Command Prompt (Admin).

Step 2. Type the command netsh interface tcp show global in the window.

Step 3. Check for Receive Window Auto-Tuning Level and if it is normal, you will need to disable it.

Step 4. Type the command netsh int tcp set global autotuninglevel=disabled to disable it.

You can perform an internet speed test to see whether those adjustments improve your internet speed or not. If not, you can re-enable the Window Auto-Tuning level by typing the command netsh int tcp set global autotuninglevel=normal in the Command Prompt (Admin).

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/for...

TechGuy_82, Jan 15, 2020
  4. Remon Ont Win User

Internet speed much slower after windows update

Slow Internet speed on only one computer.

Hi Cody,

Slow internet speed on one of your computer could be due to the following:

• Outdated network adapter driver
    • Different Wi-Fi chipset
    • Computer processing speed

Make sure that the network driver of your computer(s) are always updated.

We also suggest you to contact your internet service provider for them to check your internet connection speed and give you more information.

Feel free to post back if you have other concerns.

Remon Ont, Jan 15, 2020
Thema:

Internet speed much slower after windows update

1. Internet speed much slower after windows update - Similar Threads - Internet speed much

2. speed test is much slower on laptop than telephone

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    speed test is much slower on laptop than telephone: the speed test results on my laptop Windows 10 home edition are much slower than my Samsung phone. they are both Wi-Fi they're both feet from the router and wi-fi. I am at a loss....
  3. Download Speed on PC's Much Slower Compared to Laptop

Download Speed on PC's Much Slower Compared to Laptop: My girlfriend and I recently got new Wifi and decided to pay the extra penny to get the best out of our internet. We went with Virgin Media and got the new Hub 5 router with a speed cap of 512Mbps. Initially we tested the speeds on my laptop with 'Ookla Speedtest' and I was...
  4. Download Speed on PC's Much Slower Compared to Laptop

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Download Speed on PC's Much Slower Compared to Laptop: My girlfriend and I recently got new Wifi and decided to pay the extra penny to get the best out of our internet. We went with Virgin Media and got the new Hub 5 router with a speed cap of 512Mbps. Initially we tested the speeds on my laptop with 'Ookla Speedtest' and I was...
  5. very slower internet speeds and lagging

in Windows 10 Gaming
    very slower internet speeds and lagging: When I go to look in task manager it shows that my send and receive speeds are 20-70 Kbps when my speeds are supposed to be 250 Mbps+ and even when I'm playing games it's super laggy and almost unplayable and I use an ethernet cable. Furthermore when i go online and do an...
  6. very slower internet speeds and lagging

very slower internet speeds and lagging: When I go to look in task manager it shows that my send and receive speeds are 20-70 Kbps when my speeds are supposed to be 250 Mbps+ and even when I'm playing games it's super laggy and almost unplayable and I use an ethernet cable. Furthermore when i go online and do an...
  7. Slower internet speeds on one device

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Slower internet speeds on one device: I am getting slower download speeds on my desktop than what I did before. I should be getting upwards of ~400Mb/s at least, especially since I’m plugged via Ethernet. My brothers desktop is getting these speeds and is connected through WiFi. I recall this happening one time...
  8. Laptop Wifi Upload speed much slower than download speed

Laptop Wifi Upload speed much slower than download speed: I have a Dell Inspiron N5040 running 1809 17763.153. It has a Dell Wireless 1502 802.11 b/g/n WiFi card which is made by Atheros. Prior to upgrading to 1803 WiFi worked normally and Download was faster than Upload, 35Mb vs 10Mb. Since 1803 and now 1809 as well, Download is...
  9. Gigabit Internet Download Speed Much Slower Than Upload

Gigabit Internet Download Speed Much Slower Than Upload: Three weeks ago, I had Gigabit FIOS installed, but I have never been able to get gigabit speeds going both ways. I always get 900+ Mbps UPLOAD but never more than 300 Mbps DOWNLOAD. But, I get 900/900+ Mbps between the Router and the Server every time, *AND*, here's the...
  10. Slower internet speed after fresh install

Slower internet speed after fresh install: I fixed it. All I did was reset the network and uninstall the family control. Now I have 150 down and 10 up, and downloads are no longer a problem.