Windows 10: Internet speeds differ significantly

Discus and support Internet speeds differ significantly in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have an HP All-In-One Desktop computer. Windows 10 Home, version 10.0.19042 Build 19042x64-based PCProcessor Intel Core i7-7700T CPU @2.9 GHz Memory... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by MrWho, Jan 21, 2021.

1. MrWho Win User

Internet speeds differ significantly

I have an HP All-In-One Desktop computer. Windows 10 Home, version 10.0.19042 Build 19042x64-based PCProcessor Intel Core i7-7700T CPU @2.9 GHz
    Memory 12 GB.
    Sitting on my desk, right next to the above computer, I have an HP laptop. Windows 10 Home, version 10.0.19042 Build 19042, x64-based PC
    Processor Intel Core i7-855OU CPU @1.8 GHz
    Memory 8 GB

The desktop normally connects to the Internet with a LAN line.

The laptop normally connects to the Internet using WiFi connection.

When I run the Internet speed test, using my ISP as source, the Ping is 16 ms for each computer.

The upload speed is the same for both machines 10 Mbps

But the download speed is completely different.

Desktop ≈ 90 Mbps (This is using the LAN line)

Laptop ≈ 228 Mbps (This is using the WiFi)

If I disconnect the LAN line from the desktop computer and connect to the WiFi, The down load speed drops to ≈ 30 Mbps. Upload remains at 10 Mbps.

If I connect the LAN line to the laptop, the download speed is ≈ 90Mbps. Upload remains at 10Mbps.

My contract with the ISP is up to 200 Mbps.

I then switched to OOKLA speed test and used an overseas ISP.

Desktop Download 90 Mbps Upload 10 Mbps

Laptop Download 150 Mbps Upload 10 Mbps

Any ideas?

Thanks for reading

(James)

:)

MrWho, Jan 21, 2021
  2. Remon Ont Win User

Slow Internet speed on only one computer.

Hi Cody,

Slow internet speed on one of your computer could be due to the following:

• Outdated network adapter driver
    • Different Wi-Fi chipset
    • Computer processing speed

Make sure that the network driver of your computer(s) are always updated.

We also suggest you to contact your internet service provider for them to check your internet connection speed and give you more information.

Feel free to post back if you have other concerns.

Remon Ont, Jan 21, 2021
  3. MrHudson Win User
    Same laptop, different users, vastly different internet speeds.

Internet speeds differ significantly [​IMG]

This is download on mine. no upload listed

MrHudson, Jan 21, 2021
  4. Internet speeds differ significantly

Network Speed Test results significantly different from Okla SpeedTest

Running the Network Speed Test app on a Win 10 computer I consistently get results significantly different than the de facto tool Speedtest from Okla.

eg.

App
    Download (Mbps)
    Upload (Mbps)

MS Speedtest

Okla Speedtest

They both measure in Mega bits per second Mbps.

Any idea why the results are so different?

BernieMacNeil, Jan 21, 2021
Thema:

Internet speeds differ significantly

1. Internet speeds differ significantly - Similar Threads - Internet speeds differ

2. Internet speed is different depending on accounts

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Internet speed is different depending on accounts: I have a problem where the internet is slower on my account, however the other accounts have normal and faster speeds.There are 2 accounts on my PC. The default admin account and my account, also set to have admin settings enabled.When I'm on the admin account the internet...
  3. Internet speed is different depending on accounts

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Internet speed is different depending on accounts: I have a problem where the internet is slower on my account, however the other accounts have normal and faster speeds.There are 2 accounts on my PC. The default admin account and my account, also set to have admin settings enabled.When I'm on the admin account the internet...
  4. Internet speed is different depending on accounts

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. Two PCs but two different internet speeds

Two PCs but two different internet speeds: I get on about 450Mbps on my several Dell Windows 10 PCs. However, one of my Dell PCs is running Windows 7. The speed on it is about 8Mbps. All of the PCs are networked via Cat5 cables. My iPhones see about 100Mbps wireless of course.So is it Windows 7 that causes the...
  6. For ISP'a 1G connection, tested download speeds show significantly different numbers for...

For ISP'a 1G connection, tested download speeds show significantly different numbers for...: My new 1G residential service tests at 900 +/- MPS using an Ookla app (downloaded and installed). Ookla's generic test site shows under 200 MPS, as does the ISP's test site. Test results taken within minutes of each other, on the same Windows 10 PRO PC with an I7 processor,...
  7. Same laptop, different users, vastly different internet speeds.

Same laptop, different users, vastly different internet speeds.: I don't have screenshots of my task manager or anything yet and my Google searches have been fruitless for this issue. What's happening is when I'm logged into my profile and I do a speed test my download is around the 30-50 Mbps and my upload is around 8 Mbps. When I log...
  8. Same laptop, different users, vastly different internet speeds.

Same laptop, different users, vastly different internet speeds.: I don't have screenshots of my task manager or anything yet and my Google searches have been fruitless for this issue. What's happening is when I'm logged into my profile and I do a speed test my download is around the 30-50 Mbps and my upload is around 8 Mbps. When I log...
  9. Same laptop, different users, vastly different internet speeds.

in Windows 10 Support
  10. My CPU's speed decreased significantly

in Windows 10 Customization
    My CPU's speed decreased significantly: So I've lust bought a laptop - Dell XPS 13 (9360)/Intel Core i5 7th Gen. The CPU worked properly for about a week, and when I turned my laptop on yesterday, it has become EXTREMELY SLOW. Its base speed is 2.70 GHz, and when I opened Task Manager, its current speed was 0.38...