Windows 10: Internet suddenly slow on Windows 10 PC, at same time ISP doubled bandwidth

Discus and support Internet suddenly slow on Windows 10 PC, at same time ISP doubled bandwidth in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Running Windows 10 on a Dell Inspiron 660s. Wi-Fi/internet has worked perfectly for years. Suddenly as of yesterday, the internet speed I'm getting... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by ScottH63, Sep 26, 2020.

1. ScottH63 Win User

Internet suddenly slow on Windows 10 PC, at same time ISP doubled bandwidth

Running Windows 10 on a Dell Inspiron 660s. Wi-Fi/internet has worked perfectly for years. Suddenly as of yesterday, the internet speed I'm getting on the PC has slowed to a trickle. It seems to have happened at the same time my internet provider boosted the speed.

For the last 6 months I've gotten a dependable 50 Mbps on this PC. 2 weeks ago the ISP doubled the speed automatically. For some reason the router was still only sending out 50 Mbps by Wi-Fi, but if I connected a device by ethernet, it got the 100+ Mbps. I continued to get a reliable 50 Mbps on the PC by Wi-Fi, which was plenty.

Yesterday suddenly my PC internet speed dropped to a trickle - just 1 or 2 Mbps. However, coincidentally, the router is now putting out over 100 Mbps on Wi-Fi. If I connect my phone or an Ipad, on the same Wi-Fi connection, they are both getting 110 Mbps.

I've tried re-starting the PC and router multiple times. Ran MalwareBytes and network diagnostics. Haven't installed any new programs.

I'm wondering if after whatever changed to allow the Wi-Fi speed to more than double, the PC can't handle the new bandwidth.

:)

ScottH63, Sep 26, 2020
  2. Arun B J Win User

Again... limited bandwidth and Windows 10

Hi,

Thank you for your reply.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

• Bandwidth is provided by your ISP, you need to contact your ISP for Bandwidth.
    Refer the link below.

How to: Upgrade to Windows 10 if you are on a slow or metered Internet connection?

• I suggest you to refer the link below and check if it helps.
    Windows 10 upgrade: How-to information on scheduling and notifications.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3095675

• Yes you can download the Windows 10 ISO and install it on any System.

Hope this helps. If the issue remains unresolved, please get back to us and we would be happy to help.

Arun B J, Sep 26, 2020
  3. How to double internet speed on same PC?

Because thats not how bandwidth works.

For instance - start to download a large file on both PCs at the same time. lets say 1-2GB each. Unless you've paid for 100meg theres no way to DOUBLE it and your PCs will be fighting over bandwidth. Its not possible to get something you didnt pay for unless the ISP gave it to you as part of a free upgrade.

Youre limited by the bandwidth that your ISP allocates you though how far you live from the exchange can easily take 1 or 2meg off a fast connection.

I have a Gigabit NIC and 100meg fiber optic broadband - at best it tops out at 80-90meg on a good day. If someone else is downloading at the same time then the whole thing slows down.

FreedomEclipse, Sep 26, 2020
  4. Internet suddenly slow on Windows 10 PC, at same time ISP doubled bandwidth

Slow Internet Connection in Windows 10

Hi,

My name is Angel. I am an Independent Advisor. Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

I would suggest you to follow these Methods :

1. Close the Peer to Peer Update Process on Your PC to Fix Slow Internet after Windows 10 Update

Shut down the peer to peer update process on your PC. That is to say, you need to close the channel which you can download applications and system updates from other PC’s connected to the server since it limits your internet bandwidth seeding to other users.

Step 1. Click Start menu and then type Settings to open it.

Step 2. Select “Update and Security“.

Step 3. Click the “Advanced Options” tab.

Step 4. Click the option “Choose How Updates are Delivered".

Step 5. Turn off the On button.

2. Adjust the Internet Bandwidth Settings

Since windows 10, by default, reserves 20% of the internet bandwidth for the system applications and its operating system, you can’t browse or surf on the internet with 100% internet connection. This solution speeds up the dropping internet speed by trimming
    down the bandwidth which is reserved for Windows 10 and system applications. Follow the step-by-step guide to tackle slow internet after Windows 10 Update.

Step 1. Press Windows shortcut keys Win + R to open Run dialog box.

Step 2. Type gpedit.msc and then hit OK.

Step 3. Give permissions. A pop-up window will open with title of Group Policy.

Step 4. Click on Computer Configuration on the right side of the window.

Step 5. Navigate to: Administrative Templates -> Network – > Qos Packet Scheduler – > Limit reservable bandwidth.

Step 6. Click on Enable.

Step 7. Change the Value from 20 to 0.

Step 8. Apply and then click OK.

3. Disable Window Auto-Tuning

Window Auto-Tuning which is enabled by default improves performance for programs by receiving TCP data over a network. Slower internet speed after Windows 10 Update could hit your computer when Window Auto-Tuning feature is “ON”. While luckily, you can disable
    Windows Auto-Tuning level to improve the internet speed for the Windows 10 update. Use administrator privileges to process the following steps.

Step 1. Press Win + X and then select Command Prompt (Admin).

Step 2. Type the command netsh interface tcp show global in the window.

Step 3. Check for Receive Window Auto-Tuning Level and if it is normal, you will need to disable it.

Step 4. Type the command netsh int tcp set global autotuninglevel=disabled to disable it.

You can perform an internet speed test to see whether those adjustments improve your internet speed or not. If not, you can re-enable the Window Auto-Tuning level by typing the command netsh int tcp set global autotuninglevel=normal in the Command Prompt (Admin).

Source:

https://www.drivethelife.com/windows-10/fix-slo...

Hope the information provided is useful. If the issue persists, reply here and we will be glad to help you.

Angel.

Disclaimer: There are links to non-Microsoft websites. The pages appear to be providing accurate, safe information. Watch out for ads on the sites that may advertise products frequently classified as a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Products). Thoroughly research
    any product advertised on the sites before you decide to download and install it.

AngelCarreno, Sep 26, 2020
Thema:

Internet suddenly slow on Windows 10 PC, at same time ISP doubled bandwidth

1. Internet suddenly slow on Windows 10 PC, at same time ISP doubled bandwidth - Similar Threads - Internet suddenly slow

2. Slow internet bandwidth on a specific device

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Slow internet bandwidth on a specific device: Hi there,I open this thread because something strange happens to one of my Windows device.Indeed, on my Windows 10 64 bits machine equiped by an Intel AX210 Wi-Fi card, my bandwidth is around 5-10 mbps when my phone and my laptop are respectively 100 mbps and 250 mbps in the...
  3. Slow internet bandwidth on a specific device

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Slow internet bandwidth on a specific device: Hi there,I open this thread because something strange happens to one of my Windows device.Indeed, on my Windows 10 64 bits machine equiped by an Intel AX210 Wi-Fi card, my bandwidth is around 5-10 mbps when my phone and my laptop are respectively 100 mbps and 250 mbps in the...
  4. Slow internet bandwidth on a specific device

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. Internet problems on Windows 10 not caused by ISP

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Internet problems on Windows 10 not caused by ISP: I live practically in the middle of nowhere in a tree covered area and many ISP's couldn't consider my home with a satellite because of the angles of the trees around my home but I was recently able to get Starlink satellite internet, unfortunately the way SpaceX designed...
  6. SAME ISP DIFFERENT FUSE?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    SAME ISP DIFFERENT FUSE?: Hii updated my fuse still isp sprint when i try to login to a website i receive this message but when i use the old fuse it works fine?Thank you both same isp? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/same-isp-different-fuse/c4cf5234-09f1-452d-9dc7-d6a0ba6f7046
  7. Download Speed is very slow compared to available ISP Bandwidth

Download Speed is very slow compared to available ISP Bandwidth: Windows 10 Pro 2004 (19041.423) - all updated My ISP has a 56MB/s (poor I know) fibre line to our house. Every other device connected via wifi or direct (Macbook, iPads, XBOX's, phones) get up to about 40-42 MB/s download which is fine. Very new router too; only 5 months...
  8. Sudden Limited Internet Bandwidth, Looking for ideas

Sudden Limited Internet Bandwidth, Looking for ideas: I have been suddenly experiencing what seems to be capped bandwidth on my desktop. It does not appear to be the case on my roommates' desktops or other devices. We have Xfinity's 1Gbps internet service and I used to get 800Mbps+ down pretty consistently. However, this past...
  9. Not Able to Use Full Bandwidth from ISP in Windows 10 Home

Not Able to Use Full Bandwidth from ISP in Windows 10 Home: Hello, I am hoping someone might be able to provide some suggestions to resolve an issue I am having with my laptop with Windows 10. I am paying for 200 mb internet service through Charter/Spectrum and I am able to use this bandwidth on every other device in my home with the...
  10. New ISP, sudden slow speeds only over the homeplugs

New ISP, sudden slow speeds only over the homeplugs: Hey everyone, So I'm having a bit of an issue that for the life of me I can't figure out. We moved to a new Internet service provider yesterday. I've always ran my desktop over homeplugs in the next room and never had an issue matching or beating the wi fi speed....