Windows 10: interrupts being handled only on 2/8 cpu cores

Discus and support interrupts being handled only on 2/8 cpu cores in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I have all my devices set in msi/msi-x mode, so they should utilize multicore. Yet latencymon shows only 2 of my 8 cores are handling interrupts, which... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by empleat, Sep 10, 2019.

1. empleat Win User

interrupts being handled only on 2/8 cpu cores

I have all my devices set in msi/msi-x mode, so they should utilize multicore. Yet latencymon shows only 2 of my 8 cores are handling interrupts, which is strange. I even tried set DevicePolicy 5 under interrupt management/affinity policy for my gpu and it had no effect. And don't think latencymon shows wrong information, because it is professional program. Could be tho. Is there any windows setting, where i can set, how much of my cores i can reserve for interrupt management ? Didn't google anything except this, which is what i was talking about https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/win...y-and-priority

:)

empleat, Sep 10, 2019
  2. jaorg1234 Win User

High CPU usage when idle - System and System interrupts

I've been trying to find a solution for a while and decided to ask here for more help. I've noticed that my CPU usage is pretty high when idle, even after a cold reboot of the computer:

Task Manager View showing "System" and "System interrupts" causing a high CPU load:

interrupts being handled only on 2/8 cpu cores vcOPv.png

I've tried to dig deeper and used Processor Explorer to get more information, which, strangely enough, shows that "System interrupts" uses up more % of the CPU than the "System" process:

Process Explorer showing that "Interrupts" is taking up 20% of the CPU load:

interrupts being handled only on 2/8 cpu cores PC2cj.png

Next I've tried to narrow down the causes of the interrupts by using the Windows Performance Recorder and analyze the graph using the Windows Performance Analyzer (can't post the screenshot due to not having enough rep, but it looks like hal.dll is causing the most interrupts, but less than the 20% seen with Process Explorer)

Any suggestions how to proceed?

Information about my computer:

• Windows 10
    • Intel Core i5-4790k
    • AMD R390 GPU
    • 8 GB Ram

I've updated the GPU and sound drivers and Windows is up to date.

jaorg1234, Sep 10, 2019
  3. AMD 8-core CPU is throttled at half speed

Hi,

I suggest you to follow the steps below and check if it works.

1. Press Windows key + R to open run.

2. Type msconfig and hit Enter.

3. Go to the boot tab and select advanced options.

4. Check the box labeled Number of processors.

5. Pick from the list how many cores you want to run.

6. Click Ok.

7. Restart the computer and check if it works.

Hope it helps. Revert to us with the results, will be happy to assist you.

Thank you.

Mohan Babu ER, Sep 10, 2019
  4. interrupts being handled only on 2/8 cpu cores

Windows 10 on a server for remote work shows only 2 of 8 dedicated CPUs

Hey,

I recently installed Windows 10 EDU on a server with 8 dedicated CPUs and 32gb RAM.

The CPUs are Intel® Xeon® E5-2680V4

Unfortunately it can't access all CPUs.

In msconfig -> boot -> advanced I am able to select 2 cores, but not 8.

In the device manager there is even no item with processors.

Is it possible that windows 10 is not able to work with more than 2 dedicated CPUs?

Any other suggestion how to get this run on windows 10 ?

I don't need a real server since I just want to use it sometimes for remote work and the server licences for that much cores are really expensive for me.

Best

Phil

PhilippLoew-Albrecht, Sep 10, 2019
Thema:

interrupts being handled only on 2/8 cpu cores

1. interrupts being handled only on 2/8 cpu cores - Similar Threads - interrupts being handled

2. Only P cores being utilized

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Only P cores being utilized: The other day I was monitoring temps and core activity using Core Temp app on my Lenovo IdeaPad 5 laptop with a 12th gen. Intel 1235U CPU. I noticed as Windows 11 23H2 was doing updates that only one core was being used in a configurations of 2 P cores and 8 E cores.I knew...
  3. Only P cores being utilized

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Only P cores being utilized: The other day I was monitoring temps and core activity using Core Temp app on my Lenovo IdeaPad 5 laptop with a 12th gen. Intel 1235U CPU. I noticed as Windows 11 23H2 was doing updates that only one core was being used in a configurations of 2 P cores and 8 E cores.I knew...
  4. Interrupt Exception Not Handled BSOD

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Interrupt Exception Not Handled BSOD: Hey all, I have been having issues with a constant BSOD with my computer. I am not sure what is causing it and it only happens when I play Apex Legends. I don't know how to go about figuring out what the issue is or where to search for it. Any help would be appreciated. I can...
  5. Windows 10 only shows 1 core on 4 core CPU

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 only shows 1 core on 4 core CPU: I've had my old Windows 7 AutoCAD machine lying around for a really long time in storage, and I just thought I'd drag it out and clean it up. I erased the hard drives which still had Windows 7 and some of my old school stuff on them and installed Windows 10, only to be...
  6. 2 Cores being used, not 4

2 Cores being used, not 4: I have a processor with 4 cores and because Windows is buggy, it only uses 2. Expected, but what does one do to solve such troubles apart from downloading Linux? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/2-cores-being-used-not-4/b146acd2-eeba-46a6-99b6-df444d1cdc01
  7. interrupt affinity, system handles interrupts only on core0

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    interrupt affinity, system handles interrupts only on core0: I have everything in msi/msi-x mode, except usb. From measuring dpc in latencymon, i have still 400k dpc calls on core 0, while other 7 cores gets 500-7000 for each, which is disappointing. And setting in regedit interrupt affinity doesn't help, because hardware/drivers can...
  8. CPU Core Affinity is getting randomly set to only 2 cores on multiple applications

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    CPU Core Affinity is getting randomly set to only 2 cores on multiple applications: Title. One minute I'm sitting there playing Factorio, using all of my CPU cores to simulate the game at 60FPS, and then the game all of a sudden only has two CPU cores assigned to it: 20fps. I get this with multiple processes all the time. Chrome; Spotify; some Windows...
  9. INTERRUPT EXCEPTION NOT HANDLED BSOD

INTERRUPT EXCEPTION NOT HANDLED BSOD: Hello, I've been getting a few bsods, rarely, albeit but still annoying. The minidump file is here: https://1drv.ms/u/s!AsfFb51dF3BqiGv2WbB7VM666X73...
  10. Which Version of Server 2016 To Select for 8 Core CPU

in Windows 10 Support
    Which Version of Server 2016 To Select for 8 Core CPU: We are building a new AMD Ryzen sys with 8 cores for Server 2016. I am asking which SKU for server 2016 do I need to purchase? Or a pointer to a retail website that clarifies.... We are really confused. We don't need a bunch of CAL's at this point. We just want the base...