Windows 10: Introducing OneDrive Files On-Demand and other features

Discus and support Introducing OneDrive Files On-Demand and other features in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; As people create and collaborate on more files, take more photos and work across multiple devices, it’s increasingly important to access your important... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by Brink, May 10, 2017.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

Introducing OneDrive Files On-Demand and other features

Source: Introducing OneDrive Files On-Demand and other features making it easy to access files - Office Blogs

:)

Brink, May 10, 2017
  2. Ugo Lopez Win User

LAN fails after Win10 update

You can setup auto sync with cloud products. With OneDrive and Google drive, you have the option to leave your files on the cloud and seamless download them only when needed (transparent from user perspective, he/she will continue seeing all the files
    in the folder):

ONEDRIVE CLIENT AND FILES ON-DEMAND OPTION

Benvenuto in Microsoft OneDrive

https://blogs.office.com/en-us/2017/05/11/intro...

GOOGLE DRIVE FILE STREAM

Deploy Drive File Stream - G Suite Administrator Help

Regarding SMB, please just change the GO options as in the links above.

Please let me know.

Ugo Lopez, May 10, 2017
  3. Can't preview jpg files in the preview pane -- Windows 10 Fall Update (1709)

My problem is not related to file association, I've tried changing file association to multiple programs, including MS Paint. To clarify, my problem is with jpg files not displaying in the File Explorer preview pane
    and has nothing to do with file icons.

I've discovered the problem is related to the new 1709 update feature "OneDrive Files On-Demand". The problem with jpg files not displaying in the File Explorer preview pane only occurs for files that are on OneDrive with "Files On-Demand"
    enabled. I have some files & folders specified as "Always Keep on this device" and I expect files to be displayed in preview -- and they are except for jpg files. Other file types (pdf, txt, docx, xlsx, etc.) preview without issue. jpg files on disk only
    and not on OneDrive ARE displayed in preview, the problem is only for jpg files on OneDrive, even though "Always keep on this device" is enabled.

If "Files On-Demand" is enabled and "Always keep on this device" is not enabled (files are in the cloud only) then no files are previewed (makes sense).

I have another computer that was just updated to 1709. The "Files on demand" feature has not been enabled so all OneDrive files are on disk. It displays jpg files on OneDrive in preview without issue.

To summarize my problem as I see it... jpg files on OneDrive are not displayed in File Explorer preview if and only if "Files On-Demand" is enabled, even though those files are kept on disk.

LarryGorden, May 10, 2017
  4. Unkn0wn Win User

Looks interesting, looking forward to it!

Unkn0wn, May 10, 2017
Thema:

1. Introducing OneDrive Files On-Demand and other features - Similar Threads - Introducing OneDrive Files

2. Files on Demand in OneDrive --- its just not there

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Files on Demand in OneDrive --- its just not there: Someone said if I click files on demand I can have one drive files on my hard drive and on OneDrive both... well, folks that ain't working. There is no such icon in Win 11. Why is this so hard? Do I lose thousands of hours of work because OneDrive wants to delete folders I...
  3. OneDrive Files-On-Demand not working

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    OneDrive Files-On-Demand not working: I use OneDrive on several devices, all of which work as intended, apart from one, my Surface Go 2 with W10. Files-On-Demand is checked in settings, but it constantly attempts to download everything until the disk is full. Free up space briefly works, but then the removed...
  4. OneDrive Files-On-Demand not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    OneDrive Files-On-Demand not working: I use OneDrive on several devices, all of which work as intended, apart from one, my Surface Go 2 with W10. Files-On-Demand is checked in settings, but it constantly attempts to download everything until the disk is full. Free up space briefly works, but then the removed...
  5. OneDrive Files-On-Demand not working

6. OneDrive, files on demand, and thumbnails

OneDrive, files on demand, and thumbnails: When "Files on demand" is enabled, I can't see the file thumbnails in folders inside OneDrive, even if the file is actually downloaded. How can I fix this?...
  7. Turning on "Files on Demand" in OneDrive

Turning on "Files on Demand" in OneDrive: Hi I've just read a useful article on the "Files on Demand" feature of OneDrive: https://www.brucebnews.com/2017/11/the-confusing-story-of-onedrive-files-on-demand-2/ It instructs me to "Right-click on the OneDrive icon in the taskbar and click on Settings" to get the...
  8. Onedrive Files on Demand Syncing erroneously

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Onedrive Files on Demand Syncing erroneously: Today, I noticed onedrive had redownloaded some files even though Files on Demand was set. I used "clear space" to remove local copies, but it immediately resynced files. Odd thing was it was only some folders or files (even only some of same file extension). Spent ages,...
  9. OneDrive's Files On-Demand not working?

OneDrive's Files On-Demand not working?: Hello, So I just clean installed the Fall Creators Update without any problems. I wanted to try out the OneDrive's File On-Demand feature. I noticed that I had to update OneDrive manually for that feature option to appear in OneDrive's Settings so I got the update from...
  10. OneDrive Files On-Demand For The Enterprise

in Windows 10 News
    OneDrive Files On-Demand For The Enterprise: OneDrive Files On-Demand has been designed from the ground up for enterprises. Files On-Demand leverages the Windows Fall Creators update to simplify the user experience with cloud storage and sync, bring the power of the cloud into Windows File Explorer, and dramatically...