Windows 10: Introducing Project Spartan: The New Browser Built for Windows 10

Discus and support Introducing Project Spartan: The New Browser Built for Windows 10 in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; repeat from another post of mine : Aside from Spartan behaving more like malware than a browser freezing hanging and crashing itself , or hanging... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by Brink, Mar 30, 2015.

1. Introducing Project Spartan: The New Browser Built for Windows 10

repeat from another post of mine :

Aside from Spartan behaving more like malware than a browser freezing hanging and
    crashing itself , or hanging the system and the universal mail app requiring a removal
    and re install and crashing randomly without warning when you get it working and the hdd
    and memory I/O performance ,file enumeration (and maybe more ) degradation from win 7,
    8.1 and earlier Windows 10 TP previews ............... what else am I missing here in 10049 ?☺☺

OTOH 10049 is something new to break and fiddle with........ I can see Spartan being wicked fast when it's sorted out that's the upside hopefully same for the OS although in spite of the I/O degradation it's coming along and feels pretty snappy all in all.

W10 is the daily driver here now ... I think there is unrealized upside potential at this point ......... it's just not ready for Main st. that's all but that's to be expected at this stage .

blutos cousin, Mar 31, 2015
  2. BunnyJ New Member

That this is still in TP and there are going to be many bugs until the RTM comes out.. and even then there are going to be bugs. Spartan right now is so early in development it's just not fair to really expect much from it. The other browsers have been out for quite some time and are more refined and developed.

Jeff

BunnyJ, Mar 31, 2015
  3. Winuser Win User
    A number of user were requesting that Spartan be released. I don't know if MS released Spartan earlier than they wanted to satisfy those request or if MS decided that Spartan was ready for testing. Either way Spartan is still in early development. It's going to get better as features are added and bugs get fixed. I for one am glad MS released Spartan for testing. At this point I still don't see Spartan becoming my main browser. This could change as Spartan matures. I'm going to keep testing and make my decision when Windows 10 goes final. Until than I will report any bugs I find to MS.

Winuser, Mar 31, 2015
  4. BillyBob Win User

Introducing Project Spartan: The New Browser Built for Windows 10

Yeah I'm finding Spartan a bit buggy, but when it's running well it seems to be awful fast, I'm going to hang in there and hopefully MS ends up with a very fast browser with a few tricks up its sleeve.

BillyBob, Mar 31, 2015
  5. Wynona Win User
    True it's a TP, Jeff, but that's why we're testing . . . we need to give Microsoft feedback and point out everything we like as well as don't like. And, discussing what's right as well as wrong is what I like to see in these forums. That way I get to know what others are seeing and check accordingly. Also, do they confirm something I think might be wrong.

As to Spartan, it seems to me Microsoft has been talking about it from the get-go, which should mean it's been in development for quite some time. With the excitement being generated by Microsoft, I would have expected Spartan to be a bit more mature, but what the hey; as you say . . . Although not everyone is impressed, it doesn't mean they'll stop putting it through its paces.

Wynona, Mar 31, 2015
  6. besb Win User
    To answer my own post.
    Spartan as it stands today is totally "net-centric" (new word?) and expects to display content by using an ip address and dns to locate that content. A local htm file does not have such attributes.!
    partial Work around.
    Put site/folders/files in a shared folder say mywebsites
    navigate:- open network - open MyLocalPCname (Whatever)
    open mywebsites navigate to htm/ html file right click open with project spartan

content is displayed.
    Spartan has no file association with asp ,aspx, shtml as yet

7. Mystere Win User
    It's pointless to argue about what's wrong when what's wrong is obviously unfinished code. It seems all too many people jump to the bizarre conclusion that something broken in a TP will ship in the finished version that way, and that MS is stupid for releasing such crap.

If you want to constructively point out a problem, then you say, hey this thing doesn't work. Not "Spartan behaving like Malware" or "Spartan is pointless because its too buggy, and I see no reason to buy Windows 10".

Actually, no.. we've only first heard about it a few months ago. It just *seems* like they've been talking about it for a long time. Yes, it has been in development for a while.

A web browser is really two pieces. The Rendering engine, and the "chrome" (the app that hosts the rendering engine). The rendering engine is actually very mature, and what they seem to have spent the most time on. The "chrome" is not, and that is what is still largely in development.

Mystere, Mar 31, 2015
  8. Wynona Win User

Yeppers, I am in agreement. By the same token, when someone points out something wrong, we all have a tendency to point out that this is a TP. Your statement bears repeating, and I will . . .

Well, it seems like forever . . . Having been using Windows 10 from the outset, when I go back to Windows 8.1 to get some real production work done (I have a minimum of programs installed on Windows 10), I'm just a bit lost for awhile. As someone said, though, computer life is nothing like real life. *Smile

I'll take your word on that . . . I just know it's not ready for prime time; after all, it's a TP. Sorry, couldn't resist.

Wynona, Mar 31, 2015
  9. gzt7d8 Win User
    Hey Sparty is rough around the edges but I'm making it work. I've seen a number of posts about it crashing and freezing, I guess I haven't pushed it enough to have those issues. I'm just browsing and doing my normal use of the new browser. It has great potential and I would expect we'll see refinements to it over the course of the next few months.

gzt7d8, Apr 1, 2015
  10. brummyfan Win User
    Agreed, it works fine for me as well, I like the speed and clean look *Biggrin

brummyfan, Apr 1, 2015
  11. Charlie Win User
    Ditto Me also. It has done all I have asked from it this morning. I like the Project so far.

Charlie, Apr 1, 2015
  12. Wynona Win User
    Thanks, guys . . . Makes me hopeful that I can get it to work for me too. *Smile

Wynona, Apr 1, 2015
  13. adamf Win User

No it isn't, it is perfectly normal behavior. There is demonstrably a need for (or at least a pattern of so doing) for humans to form into antagonistic cliques to increase their sense of belonging and security. "Us and them" as your American cultural anthropologists would have it. "Us" the power users liking the Windows 7 start menu and linux, and "them" being inferior as they only use a phone style interface and don't do mission critical prime time work (or the other way around it doesn't matter in the slightest).

By your logic this forum would exist solely of tutorials and word games and all suggestions and errors would simply go through the MS feedback app. That would be a shame - people getting fired up about shapes of icons or menus is a good, normal and not a pointless thing. In fact it is healthy and fun - especially if we find others who agree *Wink

adamf, Apr 1, 2015
  14. Vladimir Win User
    But they need people's feedback to follow the right track... It's more than fair to discuss about what each of us like or dislike in every build !

*Smile

Vladimir, Apr 1, 2015
  15. Mystere Win User
    No, you're wrong... er.. or are you right? I'm so confused.

Mystere, Apr 1, 2015
Thema:

1. Introducing Project Spartan: The New Browser Built for Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Introducing Project Spartan

2. Project Spartan fails to open

in Browsers and Email
    Project Spartan fails to open: Ever since I upgraded to version 10074 I cannot get Spartan to open. It starts to activate then shuts down again before the blue splash screen has disappeared. As Spartan is set to default - whenever I use a program that requires access to the net, it cant do anything as...
  3. No Project Spartan in Build 10049

in Browsers and Email
    No Project Spartan in Build 10049: Hi there. I recently installed 10049, but Project Spartan is not there or isn't working. When I go to All Apps and search under P for Project Spartan, there is an icon. When I click on it, it puts a big picture of Project Spartan on the screen, but there is no Internet...
  4. Project Spartan

in Browsers and Email
    Project Spartan: I saw somewhere on a MS site that if you are a member of THe insiders Club that you can download this browser. I can't seem to locate the url for the download. Can anyone help with this? 5004
  5. Windows 10's speedy new Project Spartan browser will ditch Internet Ex

in Browsers and Email
    Windows 10's speedy new Project Spartan browser will ditch Internet Ex: Microsoft hasn't quite made it official, but a Microsoft executive recently came the closest yet to confirming that Project Spartan—the primary browser in Windows 10—will not be named Internet Explorer. During Microsoft’s Convergence conference in Atlanta on Monday,...
  6. Microsoft's Project Spartan is being armed for assault in the browser.

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft's Project Spartan is being armed for assault in the browser.: With Project Spartan, Microsoft is building a new, modern browser for all Windows 10 devices: PCs, tablets and phones. Although the new rendering engine (Edge) has been forked from the one in Internet Explorer 11 (Trident), it has rapidly diverged from it, and now works well...
  7. Project Spartan and the Windows 10 January Preview Build

in Windows 10 News
    Project Spartan and the Windows 10 January Preview Build: Yesterday, we announced that Windows 10 will ship with a brand new browser, codenamed “Project Spartan.” Designed for Windows 10, Spartan provides a more interoperable, reliable, and discoverable experience with advanced features including the ability to annotate on web...
  8. Hands on with Microsoft's next gen 'Project Spartan' web browser

in Windows 10 News
    Hands on with Microsoft's next gen 'Project Spartan' web browser: A new web browser called Project Spartan has been introduced in Windows 10 Technical Preview build 10049. It's still not finished, but Windows Insider members can start playing with it to leave some feedback. Microsoft reminds us that this preview is not a polished,...
  9. Hands on with Microsoft's new browser, Spartan

in Windows 10 News
    Hands on with Microsoft's new browser, Spartan: Microsoft is working on a new web browser called Spartan and while that is not the name the company will use to market the app, it is the moniker by which it is referring to it during its development. This browser will come with Windows 10 and will feature deep integration...
  10. Microsoft's new browser, Spartan, is not in today's Windows 10 release

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft's new browser, Spartan, is not in today's Windows 10 release: At Mobile World Congress, a Microsoft executive said that in the next release of Windows 10 to Insiders, Spartan would be part of the build. But with today's release of 10041, Spartan is not part of the package. We got a chance to chat with Gabe Aul, ahead of today's...