Windows 10: Introducing Unified Update Platform (UUP)

Discus and support Introducing Unified Update Platform (UUP) in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; We’ve updated over 400 million devices running Windows 10 to date and release new builds to Windows Insiders nearly every week. That is pretty... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by Brink, Nov 2, 2016.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

Introducing Unified Update Platform (UUP)

Source: Introducing Unified Update Platform (UUP) | Windows Experience Blog

:)

Brink, Nov 2, 2016
  2. Martmcd Win User

how Big is the Creators Update?

As DaveM121 has pointed out, we won't know until its released.

the last two insider builds (professional, not release candidates) took 40 - 50 minutes to install after the download.

Microsoft have switched to UUP(Unified Update Platform) to deliver new builds, one of the biggest benefits UUP brings is a reduction in download size of build updates on PCs.

An update on our Unified Update Platform (UUP) - Windows Experience Blog

a (very) rough estimate based on what I can see on my pc, download is between 2.6 and 3GB.

Martmcd, Nov 2, 2016
  3. suat.cini Win User
    KB4025342 x64 refusing to install

Hi.

Thank you very much for your prompt response.

As I indicated in my first post, I already downloaded the full update package and installed it.

Therefore, I may refer to your solution for the next update.

But I believe the problem lies with the DELTA ( partial-incremental ) update. This partial update method is new and is being implemented for the Windows Fall Creators Update under the name UUP ( Unified Update Platform ).

This UUP update method is currently under testing for Fall Creators Update and it is creating more problems than it is solving.

It seems that a similar program is being run for the public release.

I may be wrong, though.

Thanks again for your kind help.

suat.cini, Nov 2, 2016
  4. MrBill Win User

Here's the thing, like most everyone else I'm tired of buggy updates. That said, in Windows 10 pro under group policy you can do more than just turn off updates. You actually have total control over how deferments work. If you look under the Windows Update folder you will find the deferment folder. There you can defer updates to match the Current Business Branch for Feature updates, and even delay "quality" updates, aka "fixes" by up to 35 days. FYI CBB can mean a 180 day delay, aka a six month delay. These choices should give people what they need while they wait for the bug fixes to be rolled out etc. That said, if Microsoft wants to improve Windows 10 update, these options should be in the update screen interface. You shouldn't need Windows pro and you should need to run Group policy. Right now, unfortunately, they are using the insiders as alpha testers, Home users as beta testers, and Pro users as post production testers if you don't know how to use group policies. This isn't a good way to build trust and stability into your product or user base.

MrBill, Nov 3, 2016
  5. Fafhrd Win User
    I want seamless updates.

One thing I have wanted for so long is that updates don't take up my time, either while downloading and installing, or updating my system at shutdown or rebooting and startup. Please can they be totally background processes, that use my processor when I am not using it, that courteously don't use up my internet bandwidth when I want to use it, and don't delay me when I want to stop or start using my computer.

Updates that clean up after themselves, and don't leave gigabytes of redundant files on my system. I'd also like to be asked if there is likely to be stuff of this nature left lying around, what I might want to do in advance of the changes being made.

Unlike some, I want to embrace change, and hope that the future will not only allow more effective interaction with computing systems, and less antagonism with systems that seem to serve the developers rather than the users.

Fafhrd, Nov 3, 2016
  6. That is one thing Windows does (via disk cleaner task), but as for the rest, MS has a looong way ahead. *sarc

TairikuOkami, Nov 3, 2016
  7. Omidz 10 Win User
    I wonder why people does not disable windows update service! I have disabled it and every time that I want to update just enable the service and take the updates. The advantage is that I can review the comments on the latest update and make sure if it doesn't have major bugs then I decide to update. When you can disable the windows update service why change the group policy to prevent updates?

Omidz 10, Nov 3, 2016
  8. MrBill Win User

If you are using third party security you maybe fine. However, many of the updates include security fixes. When Microsoft muddied the waters between security and non-security updates it became a problem because you really shouldn't just turn off updates. That was even true in Windows 7, although you could. There you should have kept loading the security patches. With group policy you can keep the quality patches up to date, but even there you may run into some issues. Microsoft just needs to get the QA back. In fact, if you go with their current update model, confine your changes to smaller pieces, or better yet multi-thread test labs for security/bug fixes and other for enhancements, and keep the insider program, they could push out smaller updates just as fast that would be solid and all this drama would simply go away. It may cost them a little more on the front end, but the software model has always been for every dollar spent in dev/test you saved 10 dollars in support/bug fix costs.

MrBill, Nov 3, 2016
  9. From what I have read, just having the Pro version isn't enough to defer updates. You also need to be getting said updates via "Windows Update for Business". PC's running in a Consumer environment are not supposed to have those options, only Corporate customers get them. That's why they are buried away in the Group Policy Editor.

alphanumeric, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Introducing Unified Update Platform (UUP) - Similar Threads - Introducing Unified Update

2. Delta Download giving timeout errors with April Unified Update Platform UUP update

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Delta Download giving timeout errors with April Unified Update Platform UUP update: Hi,We are facing issue while downloading April/May 2023 cummulative update UUP.Issue is not specific to a device, its same for all Win11 22H2 clients.Excerpts from Delta Download logs from different devices in different scenarios - Failed to send HTTP Response....
  3. Delta Download giving timeout errors with April Unified Update Platform UUP update

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Delta Download giving timeout errors with April Unified Update Platform UUP update: Hi,We are facing issue while downloading April/May 2023 cummulative update UUP.Issue is not specific to a device, its same for all Win11 22H2 clients.Excerpts from Delta Download logs from different devices in different scenarios - Failed to send HTTP Response....
  4. Microsoft rolls out Unified Update Platform preview update KB4529943

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft rolls out Unified Update Platform preview update KB4529943: Microsoft released KB4529943 yesterday to devices that participate in the Unified Update Platform preview. The update will be released later to devices that run Windows 10 and don't participate in the UUP preview program. The company revealed in November 2016 that it had...
  5. Introducing EdgeHTML 13, first platform update for Microsoft Edge

in Windows 10 News
    Introducing EdgeHTML 13, first platform update for Microsoft Edge: Last week, the first major update for Windows 10 began rolling out to over 110 million devices, including improvements in all aspects of the platform and experience. This update brings Microsoft Edge’s rendering engine to EdgeHTML 13, which Windows Insiders have been...
  6. Introducing Microsoft’s new Ad Monetization Platform

in Windows 10 News
    Introducing Microsoft’s new Ad Monetization Platform: Earlier this week, we kicked off our annual developer conference Microsoft Build in front of over 10,000 developers at Washington state convention center with viewers watching the event live around the world. During the keynote and other live sessions, we had several...
  7. Introducing EdgeHTML 13, first platform update for Microsoft Edge

in Windows 10 News
    Introducing EdgeHTML 13, first platform update for Microsoft Edge: Last week, the first major update for Windows 10 began rolling out to over 110 million devices, including improvements in all aspects of the platform and experience. This update brings Microsoft Edge’s rendering engine to EdgeHTML 13, which Windows Insiders have been...
  8. Introducing Unified Update Platform (UUP) for Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    Introducing Unified Update Platform (UUP) for Windows 10: We’ve updated over 400 million devices running Windows 10 to date and release new builds to Windows Insiders nearly every week. That is pretty incredible if you think about where we were just 2 years ago. But we know we can do even better! Our customers have told us they...
  9. An update on Unified Update Platform (UUP) for Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    An update on Unified Update Platform (UUP) for Windows 10: Back in November, we announced the next generation of our delivery technologies called the Unified Update Platform (UUP). Windows Insiders are the first to experience UUP with Insider Preview builds. We began releasing new Insider Preview builds using UUP to Mobile devices...
  10. Introducing the Microsoft Edge Platform Issue Tracker

in Windows 10 News
    Introducing the Microsoft Edge Platform Issue Tracker: The biggest input into our roadmap for the EdgeHTML web platform is developer feedback. Your ideas and votes on User Voice, questions on Stack Overflow, tweets on Twitter, and other comments and suggestions are constantly monitored by our team to drive ongoing adjustment to...