Windows 10: Intruder? Connecting to my wi-fi and saying that it's me

Discus and support Intruder? Connecting to my wi-fi and saying that it's me in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have found something concerning, especially since I work from home. My net has been unstable the past few days and I decided to check how many... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by CristianSandoval2, Apr 27, 2020.

1. Intruder? Connecting to my wi-fi and saying that it's me

I have found something concerning, especially since I work from home.

My net has been unstable the past few days and I decided to check how many users are connected to my Wi-Fi. I found 2 devices that share the same "name", and initially, the wrong one was marked as "my computer". After checking the local IP address, I found that the other device was in fact my computer.

I disconnected the Wi-Fi entirely ethernet connection only, I turned off every mobile device and unplugged every device that required an ethernet connection; I disconnected everything except for my main computer connected with a cable, but the intruder was still showing up on the list.

I would have thought that both devices are my own computer, but that's not the case: The intruder is connecting and disconnecting from my router as it pleases. 42 times I refreshed the list since Saturday night, and 42 times my PC showed up. The intruder showed up 31 times.

As an odd detail: Yesterday night, I checked the list at 9:00 PM and the intruder was not there. At 9:50 PM my net was unstable and it disconnected itself, so I checked the list again as soon as the net was back, and the intruder showed up.

The only conclusion that I have from all this is that a program or a virus within my PC is getting activated from time to time, and when it does, it makes my net connection to go off and on. I ran my Antivirus Avast and no malware was found.

I'm seriously getting paranoid here since I ran out of options. Anyone that could share any suggestions about this? How can I identify that program, or that device? I also blocked the MAC address from my router but it keeps showing up.

:)

CristianSandoval2, Apr 27, 2020
  2. johnny234 Win User

Windows 10 stop automatically connecting to random new wi-fi networks

Hi,

I have searched a lot, but all the tutorials I found only explained how to not connect automatically to a known wi-fi network or how to disable wi-fi sense... but this is not what I am looking for...

PROBLEM:

• When my laptop (Windows 10 Pro X64) is not connected to a network and the wireless adapter is on, it will automatically connect to any random new unsecured wi-fi network... The only way I have now to avoid this is to disable my wi-fi adapter.

UNUSEFUL TUTORIALS I FOUND ON THE INTERNET:

• How to manually uncheck the option for a particular wi-fi network not to connect automatically in Network Properties. This is not what I am looking for. This would suggest that everytime I power my computer. I would have to manually go through all the available wi-fi networks and unclick them all...
    • How to disable Wi-Fi Sense. This is not useful, because I don't even have a Wi-Fi sense option in my computer where the tutorials say it should be.

EXPECTED BEHAVIOR:

• I am looking for an option to tell my computer to stop connecting randomly to unknown wi-fi networks like an hyperactive, reckless idiot.

PERSONAL COMMENT:

• Honestly, why would any respectable company think that it could be somewhat wise or secure to do this... Anyone's computer could just randomly connect to any hacker's wi-fi network without the user even knowing it...

Any solutions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

johnny234, Apr 27, 2020
  3. Amadeus51 Win User
    No wi-fi connection

I found the restore points and went back to last month, when the Wi-Fi was still working. I reconnected the router. The control panel says the connection is secure and connected when I tried to get online via wireless rather than DSL, but the icon on the bottom is still the DSL one. Do I have to disconnect the DSL cable in order to use the Wi-Fi or does it matter? The control panel lists both internet connections.

Amadeus51, Apr 27, 2020
  4. allant51 Win User

Intruder? Connecting to my wi-fi and saying that it's me

wi fi connection

After windows 1903 update I don't have any wi fi connection or icon showing and have tried many suggestions on how to get it, but none have worked.

Can you provide a step by step instruction on how to get wi fi icon and network.

allant51, Apr 27, 2020
Thema:

Intruder? Connecting to my wi-fi and saying that it's me

1. Intruder? Connecting to my wi-fi and saying that it's me - Similar Threads - Intruder Connecting saying

2. Wi-Fi not connecting

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Wi-Fi not connecting: WiFi isn't connecting. I thought it was the WiFi router problem, but I tried connecting to another Wi-Fi network. That’s when I understood that the issue was the laptop. I tried everything like resetting the network settings, disabling the network device in device manager and...
  3. Wi-Fi connections

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Wi-Fi connections: My pc isn’t connecting to the internet and no Wi-Fi connections are showing up I have checked and it’s not a pc problem it’s a windows problem can someone help me please it’s been like this for weeks...
  4. Wi-Fi connections

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Wi-Fi connections: My pc isn’t connecting to the internet and no Wi-Fi connections are showing up I have checked and it’s not a pc problem it’s a windows problem can someone help me please it’s been like this for weeks...
  5. My Wi-Fi disappeared, it give me the option to connect to any Wi-Fi connection, I called...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My Wi-Fi disappeared, it give me the option to connect to any Wi-Fi connection, I called...: I don’t know anything about computer, so u have to talk to me like a child https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-wi-fi-disappeared-it-give-me-the-option-to/52035f25-82f8-47ba-8078-4a8de219554e
  6. My Wi-Fi disappeared, it give me the option to connect to any Wi-Fi connection, I called...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My Wi-Fi disappeared, it give me the option to connect to any Wi-Fi connection, I called...: I don’t know anything about computer, so u have to talk to me like a child https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-wi-fi-disappeared-it-give-me-the-option-to/52035f25-82f8-47ba-8078-4a8de219554e
  7. Wi Fi connections

Wi Fi connections: Hi there I have several computers of various ages all running windows 10 my newest computers seem to stay connected without issue my older comps microsoft surface core I7 8gig ram and my toshiba core I5 8gig ram both have lost connections from time to time and the...
  8. wi-fi connection

wi-fi connection: My wife's computer is running Windows 10 same as this one but it doesn't have the capability to connect with wi fi. is there an app that I can purchase and download to a thumb drive so that I can transfer to the other computer....
  9. Wi Fi connections

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Wi Fi connections: My laptop connection to the WIFI hub disconnects when I connect an HP 1200 printer and vice versa. I can only use one or the other at one time. It was working fine until today and not sure what might have changed....
  10. Wi-Fi Connectivity

Wi-Fi Connectivity: After Windows 10 upgrade on my HP P7-1420t I lost my ability to connect to Wi-Fi. Network Adapters listed in Device Manager: Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller, Wan Miniports - IKEv2, IP, IPv6, L2TP, PPPOE, PPTP, SSTP and Network Monitor. Any help in regaining my Wi-Fi...