Windows 10: Invalid credentials error when trying to open network samba drive on Windows 11

Discus and support Invalid credentials error when trying to open network samba drive on Windows 11 in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; Hi!I am trying to create a samba drive with an external hard drive connected to an old router Inteno DG301A and keep getting invalid credentials error... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by J_2024, Feb 3, 2024.

1. J_2024 Win User

Invalid credentials error when trying to open network samba drive on Windows 11

Hi!I am trying to create a samba drive with an external hard drive connected to an old router Inteno DG301A and keep getting invalid credentials error when I try to access the drive through Windows file explorer. The credentials I enter are definitely the same that I created in router OS.On router, everything seems to be fine- I created a username and password and mapped a shared directory.On Windows, based on advice I found on internet, I have tried clearing Windows credentials, checked that all SMB 1.0 features are turned on in Windows features, tried turning off Windows Firewall and even

:)

J_2024, Feb 3, 2024
  2. cao ping Win User

Network credential prompt while accessing a public share path hosted by samba

The network topology is as follows:

Invalid credentials error when trying to open network samba drive on Windows 11 882f6531-8d67-4f75-99e3-ecffd4485507?upload=true.png

1, samba server (the share is public)

2, pc1 (win10)

3, pc2 (win10)

4, pc3 (win10)

While accessing samba server from pc1 and pc2, there is no network credential prompt.

While accessing samba server from pc3, I will be prompted with the following popup box.

Invalid credentials error when trying to open network samba drive on Windows 11 16c52eb9-c429-4d44-85e4-dc43caaad320?upload=true.png

I can give any valid character in the user name form and login successfully (ofc, it should, cuz it's a public share) .

It is a little strange that why pc1, pc2 do not prompt, but pc3 prompt.

I captured network traffic to check what happened there by wireshark, the capture result shows that both pc1 and pc2 would try logon on to samba by windows account after the message of NTLMSSP_NEGOTIATE, but pc3 would not try to logon on samba server, so
    win10 RST the connection and prompt the credential box.

I checked windows credentials on pc1, pc2, pc3, there is no credential for the samba server.

If a add a credential for samba on pc3 by windows credential manager, the prompt would not appear(on pc1, pc2, I do not need to do this step)

Does any one know what the problem there ? I don't want to see the credential prompt, I don't want to add any credential to trick this problem either .

Any suggestion is appreciate , Thanks.

cao ping, Feb 3, 2024
  3. beckerj7 Win User
    Network Drive Credentials Invalid

Computer A has Windows 10 Pro and computer B has Windows 11 Pro. I mapped the C: drive of each one as a network drive on the other so I could move files around between them. Initially it was fine and everything worked normally. I turned B back on after being off for a few weeks and tried to use it as a network drive, but now I cannot connect to the network drive, getting a prompt for credentials saying "The username or password is incorrect." I tried removing and re-mapping the drive, but that results in the same error. I know the credentials are correct, because I can use them to RDP in without a problem.

Why don't the credentials work any more? Is there a way to force it to use different credentials instead of the user logon credentials?

beckerj7, Feb 3, 2024
  4. Invalid credentials error when trying to open network samba drive on Windows 11

Network Drive Credentials Invalid

Hi Beckerj. I'm Greg, 10 years awarded Windows MVP, specializing in Installation, Performance, Troubleshooting and Activation, here to help you.

Try all of these fixes for failing network credentials until one works:

https://techcult.com/fix-enter-network-credenti...

https://thegeekpage.com/how-to-solve-enter-netw...

https://windowsreport.com/enter-network-credent...

(Avoid ad links which intrude into editorial copy, especially avoid Restoro, PC Repair Tool and Reimage ads)

https://www.softwaretesttips.com/enter-network-...

https://wethegeek.com/enter-network-credentials...

https://www.isunshare.com/windows-10/fix-enter-...

Feel free to ask back any questions. Based on the results you post back I may have other suggestions if necessary.

Standard Disclaimer: There are links to non-Microsoft websites. The pages appear to be providing accurate, safe information. Watch out for ads on the sites that may advertise products frequently classified as a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Products). Thoroughly research any product advertised on the sites before you decide to download and install it.

Greg Carmack - Windows MVP 2010-2020, Feb 3, 2024
Thema:

Invalid credentials error when trying to open network samba drive on Windows 11

1. Invalid credentials error when trying to open network samba drive on Windows 11 - Similar Threads - Invalid credentials error

2. Invalid credentials error when trying to open network samba drive on Windows 11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Invalid credentials error when trying to open network samba drive on Windows 11: Hi!I am trying to create a samba drive with an external hard drive connected to an old router Inteno DG301A and keep getting invalid credentials error when I try to access the drive through Windows file explorer. The credentials I enter are definitely the same that I created...
  3. Network credentials error when trying to connect desktop to laptop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Network credentials error when trying to connect desktop to laptop: I'm running windows 11 pro on both desktop and laptop. I have a new laptop and I have added it to my local network, set up the share and all worked fine with bidirectional read/write between each device. Then one day, probably after an update, I was no longer able to access...
  4. Network credentials error when trying to connect desktop to laptop

Network credentials error when trying to connect desktop to laptop: I'm running windows 11 pro on both desktop and laptop. I have a new laptop and I have added it to my local network, set up the share and all worked fine with bidirectional read/write between each device. Then one day, probably after an update, I was no longer able to access...
  5. Windows 11 network share invalid credentials

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 network share invalid credentials: I added my first windows 11 machine to my network. Still getting used to it. However, Network File Sharing isn't working. I have searched and found these list of 10+ things to try. No luck. I can share between 2 Windows 10 machines, that works not so between 10 and 11. Using...
  6. Windows 11 network share invalid credentials

Windows 11 network share invalid credentials: I added my first windows 11 machine to my network. Still getting used to it. However, Network File Sharing isn't working. I have searched and found these list of 10+ things to try. No luck. I can share between 2 Windows 10 machines, that works not so between 10 and 11. Using...
  7. Network Drive Credentials Invalid

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Network Drive Credentials Invalid: Computer A has Windows 10 Pro and computer B has Windows 11 Pro. I mapped the C: drive of each one as a network drive on the other so I could move files around between them. Initially it was fine and everything worked normally. I turned B back on after being off for a few...
  8. Network Drive Credentials Invalid

Network Drive Credentials Invalid: Computer A has Windows 10 Pro and computer B has Windows 11 Pro. I mapped the C: drive of each one as a network drive on the other so I could move files around between them. Initially it was fine and everything worked normally. I turned B back on after being off for a few...
  9. Excel files on a Samba network drive don't open

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Excel files on a Samba network drive don't open: Hello! I have a Microsoft Server 2019 Standard with MS Office installed. I also have a Linux server that shares each user's ~/windows/ directory through Samba with their account when they're logged in. However, when they open a .xslx file located in the said directory, the...
  10. Invalid Cursor error when trying to open a picture

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Invalid Cursor error when trying to open a picture: Hi. When i click on one of my photo's, I get an error saying Invalid Cursor or if I try to share a pic people can only see Blank page. Anyone have any tips to what is going on.Or have i changed something I shouldn't have ?? Please :...