Windows 10: Invalid Digital License after motherboard change.

Discus and support Invalid Digital License after motherboard change. in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hello Community. I've recently experienced various PC issues with a previous Rig of mine and decided to put together a new and moved my Hard Drive over... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by DeprivedGamer, Feb 18, 2019.

1. Invalid Digital License after motherboard change.

Hello Community. I've recently experienced various PC issues with a previous Rig of mine and decided to put together a new and moved my Hard Drive over to the new motherboard. After further troubleshooting, BSODs, and Resetting the PC out of frustration to get a clean reinstall, I've discovered that my Windows 10 is no longer active due to an invalid digital license or product key. This was something I had never thought of because I was among those who got the Windows 10 Upgrade for free and going through the activation troubleshooting proved fruitless. So I'm hoping that someone in Microsoft is able to go beyond what Virtual assistance can do.

:)

DeprivedGamer, Feb 18, 2019
  2. Ethan B. Win User

Is Windows 10 digital license still valid after an HDD change?

Water04 -- expanding on that, significant hardware changes like changing your motherboard or simply using an HDD with an installation of Windows on another computer will invalidate your digital entitlement or license.

Ethan B., Feb 18, 2019
  3. Ethan B. Win User
    Is Windows 10 digital license still valid after an HDD change?

Hey Water04,

Short answer being, yes it does. Long(er) answer, your digital license gets invalidated only if you perform significant hardware changes like if you replace your motherboard.

Hope this helps.

Ethan B., Feb 18, 2019
  4. Invalid Digital License after motherboard change.

Link my digital license to more than one Microsoft account

Depending how Windows 10 was configured on your computer, changing the motherboard will invalidate the license regardless it is linked to a Microsoft Account or not.

Learn more about transferring and reactivating:

Andre Da Costa, Feb 18, 2019
Thema:

Invalid Digital License after motherboard change.

1. Invalid Digital License after motherboard change. - Similar Threads - Invalid Digital License

2. Digital license not detected after changing hardware

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Digital license not detected after changing hardware: After changing motherboard, I tried reactivating Windows but getting error due to server not available. After successful reactivation, I did a system restore to an earlier time because of a driver issue then my Windows got deactivated again. Now I cannot reactivate as my...
  3. Digital license not detected after changing hardware

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Digital license not detected after changing hardware: After changing motherboard, I tried reactivating Windows but getting error due to server not available. After successful reactivation, I did a system restore to an earlier time because of a driver issue then my Windows got deactivated again. Now I cannot reactivate as my...
  4. W10 license after motherboard change

in Windows 10 Gaming
    W10 license after motherboard change: Hi, a few days my motherboard stoped working so I had to buy a new one, afther setting it up and login in with my w10 account, W is asking for a key again, and whenever I try to use my Key, its says something like " you can not use this key in this device"...
  5. W10 license after motherboard change

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    W10 license after motherboard change: Hi, a few days my motherboard stoped working so I had to buy a new one, afther setting it up and login in with my w10 account, W is asking for a key again, and whenever I try to use my Key, its says something like " you can not use this key in this device"...
  6. W10 license after motherboard change

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
  7. Untie digital license from a motherboard

Untie digital license from a motherboard: Hello! Win 10 pro using now. So long story short: I bought a motherboard from a friend who have digital license on the motherboard that now i have. I want to untie the motherboard from that digital license and register it with my MS account. Win is now registered, but with...
  8. License and changing motherboard

License and changing motherboard: Hi Guys I am changing motherboard soon and I heard that Windows 10 store license in the motherboard ? how and where it was stored ? how to move license to new motherboard ? Thanks 150648
  9. CPU + Motherboard Change, can't reactivate digital license

CPU + Motherboard Change, can't reactivate digital license: I changed my motherboard and CPU, and now Windows needs to be activated. My Activation tab in the system settings looks like this: [ATTACH] I am signed in with my Microsoft account. I click on troubleshoot and it shows the devices attached to my account. I select the device...
  10. Activation w/digital license linked to MS Account after motherboard change

Activation w/digital license linked to MS Account after motherboard change: Hi, Yesterday I received new motherboard. My current Windows 10 Pro is w/digital license linked to MS account. I am one of the participants of the Windows Insider Program. My question is, because I need to reinstall my Windows complete and to prepare for my work, do I...