Windows 10: Invalid DISM, Error 193, Can't open any .exe

Discus and support Invalid DISM, Error 193, Can't open any .exe in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hello, I'll explain my situation briefly (nevermind) but thoroughly because I'm a busy Engineering student at the moment. Last Saturday (Nov 17th) I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Zephtex, Nov 19, 2018.

1. Zephtex Win User

Invalid DISM, Error 193, Can't open any .exe

Hello, I'll explain my situation briefly (nevermind) but thoroughly because I'm a busy Engineering student at the moment.

Last Saturday (Nov 17th) I accidentally turned off my desktop tower by holding the power button rather than mousing over to 'Shut Down' in Start, and apparently that caused a .dll error the next boot-up on Sunday. I couldn't open any .exe files. (MSoft Office, Download setups/exes, including games)(Windows Update wouldn't complete, so my drivers are stuck). I can still download files from the internet, but I couldn't really use them. I can't install, uninstall programs. Metro apps work, Google Chrome works, Firefox, Edge, and IExplorer do not. This is what it shows for most of them after running(as admin of course):

Invalid DISM, Error 193, Can't open any .exe 6af87f12-e5e9-4203-8d61-b07bf01d1fe2?upload=true.png

I read all Sunday on how to fix the problem, and learned I either had a virus or I turned the PC off improperly. I was only on YT Saturday but I didn't click on links to 3rd party websites, but I manually turned it off my computer, Saturday, holding the power down. I think that might've did it.

When I started troubleshooting, I found I had a corrupted .dll file after checking with through some cmd lines.

Some work-arounds I found and tried were:

-To create a new account and transfer my files to over to the new account with clean system files(Didn't work)

-Go to C: > Windows > System32 > downlevel (apparently some users had incorrect files here causing sfc and dism scans to stop)(I don't know if I'm missing a .dll or if I have something I shouldn't have), (see my downlevel directory below, I edited the screenshots in Paint to show all the contents except personal data)

-Run cmd(win>system32, admin) and type the following and then restart:

• sfc /scannow (Didn't work)
    • Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth
    • Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth
    • Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
    • Dism /Image:C:\test\offline /Enable-Feature /FeatureName:TFTP /All

...the system said:

Invalid DISM, Error 193, Can't open any .exe f461c556-cfcd-4929-99e4-6425e0738d4d?upload=true.png

Invalid DISM, Error 193, Can't open any .exe 6d4d26f6-f229-4ad9-881d-67e50a1f9371?upload=true.png

Invalid DISM, Error 193, Can't open any .exe 9986403f-7d2f-45c0-af6f-d947e7ba9e79?upload=true.png What I haven't tried:

• Using a Win10 ISO
    • Get .dll replacements direct from manufacturer(I'll leave the system information screenshot below
    • Using a Win10 bootable DVD (I don't have one)(My computer came pre-installed with it)
      • I have an empty 16GB memory stick just in case if I needed to make a Win10 ISO

For the manufacturer route or Win10 ISO/DVD routes, the version of Windows 10 Home I'm running is:

10.0.16299 Build 16299

If anyone can help, I would very much appreciate it. I'll try to get back as soon as I can for updates on the issue. If there's anything else I need to provide in the context of system data please ask. Thank you. -Zephtex

P.S. If the problem is as simple as swapping a file in or out of downlevel, please check that first! That seemed to be a very quick solution to other error 193s on threads I've read up yesterday.

Again, thanks for helping.

:)

Zephtex, Nov 19, 2018

2. DISM error 193 Win10

Thank you for the suggestion and clear explanation, but it doesn't work. As with the

thread
    mentioned above

DISM /Online /? already returns error 193

Martijn vG, Nov 19, 2018
  3. Cybot Win User
    DISM error 193

I tried that, I get dism error code 193 even when I try an offline repair

adding any switches past the /online part, even the switch /?, results in error 193

Cybot, Nov 19, 2018
  4. Cybot Win User

DISM error 193

I have discovered that when I type 'dism /?' the help options are displayed, but when I type 'dism /online /?' error 193 occurs.

Cybot, Nov 19, 2018
Thema:

1. Invalid DISM, Error 193, Can't open any .exe - Similar Threads - Invalid DISM Error

2. DISM commit error 161 : path is invalid

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    DISM commit error 161 : path is invalid: Has someone ever gotten this DISm error?1 I extracted the install.wim from a W10 ISO newer version than mine to my E: drive with 7zip, and mounted its 1th image home ed. onto a folder c:\mywim. I got this ISO from Download Windows 10 Insider Preview ISO microsoft.com, Release...
  3. Cannot open ANY .exe file

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Cannot open ANY .exe file: Hi all, Sorry for the style. I’m on my phone. So today I installed Emacs from gnu.org, and opened my first .sml file. Later I tried to open the .sml by double click it and I think I chose Emacs to open it. Then suddenly a console prompts out and it changes all of the...
  4. I Can't open any .exe program

I Can't open any .exe program: I had a virus called Win32/Neshta from my friend's USB, after using AVG Win32/Neshta remover it worked, but the effect is still going every time i open an .exe application, Windows shows "Open the file with.." and this is only for .exe files apparently i tried using the...
  5. DISM Error: 193 - And I tried fixing with Windows ISO

DISM Error: 193 - And I tried fixing with Windows ISO: Couple months ago an electric shutdown happened and my HDD was damaged because of sudden shutdown and almost all of my files was corrupted but I saved some of them and I formatted and replaced the folders that I saved with anold HDD that I had from my old computer. I...
  6. I can't open any .exe all of a sudden

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    I can't open any .exe all of a sudden: When I attempt to open executable files they won't open and I get this error: C:\Users\me\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\User Pinned[app name].Ink Application not found, or I get: "You'll need a new app to open this .exe file" I tried editing the...
  7. Can't open any *.exe files or windows apps.

Can't open any *.exe files or windows apps.: Open a file or app I get a System file error (-1073741819) I search and find to sfc /scannow, also did the DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /RestoreHealth. I did these scans and troubleshoot many times but it does not resolve the problem. Today I find Create Windows 10...
  8. Can't open .exe files (all .exe files) in any USB

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't open .exe files (all .exe files) in any USB: Yup, you read that right. I really hate this since I need to install Windows (32-bit) via a thumb drive. Executive files inside the original hard drive does not affect this. All of the .exe files don't work (other type of files still work). But I can still access...
  9. I Can't Open any application type exe

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    I Can't Open any application type exe: I accidentally changed the file type of application.exe to srt.exe. I don't know how to change the type again. I can't open any application now even including task manager, command prompt, and registry editor. Please help me....
  10. Can't open File .exe

Can't open File .exe: I can't open the Alienwarecommandcenter.exe and Alienware OC.exe. When I try to open the file, the administrators appear, I click ok but then the install file becomes white i've tried to run sfc scan but it told me that my computer don't have any problems. everything is Ok....