Windows 10: Invalid Pointer Operation when starting a program

Discus and support Invalid Pointer Operation when starting a program in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Hi. I have a program that installs just fine on another W10 Pro, x64 (1809) box but when I start it in my own account here is what I see: [img]... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Compumind, Feb 11, 2019.

1. Compumind Win User

Invalid Pointer Operation when starting a program

Hi.

I have a program that installs just fine on another W10 Pro, x64 (1809) box but when I start it in my own account here is what I see:

Invalid Pointer Operation when starting a program [​IMG]

Cleanly uninstalled the old revision to the program and installed the new one.

When I "Run as Administrator" the .exe works perfectly, but without that I get the above error. Why?

Ran the following two command in an elevated Command Prompt:

DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Scanhealth
    DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth

Still nothing. I wonder if this is somehow "tied" to an earlier post of mine:

Cannot install some non W10 software updates - Permissions issue? Solved - Windows 10 Forums

The vendor TS says that they have never seen that error before upon program start.

Any ideas?

TIA *really

:)

Compumind, Feb 11, 2019

2. Pointers

Points are simply a value (address) that "points" to a value. It has no extra information about what it is pointing to (hence the danger). When using arrays/indexers, the operating system knows this is a collection that is this long and is of this type. Any operation that steps outside of those constraints is caught and handled. On the other hand, if a pointer so much as points to the wrong address, all the values will subsequently be wrong.

Pointers are faster but more risky.

FordGT90Concept, Feb 11, 2019
  3. zbook Win User
    Programs not working

In post 26 there were steps listed to fix the operating system corruption.
    Are you able to follow them?
    In post 29 was the suggested dism repair command.

zbook, Feb 11, 2019
  4. Invalid Pointer Operation when starting a program

Mouse Pointer

Hi,

You can customize your mouse in a variety of ways in Windows. To change how your mouse pointer looks, you can follow the steps below:

• Right-click on the Start menu, then click Control Panel.
    • Select Mouse, then go to the Pointers tab.
    • Select the pointer you prefer from the drop-down list, click
      Apply > OK.

If you want to use a pointer that is not on the list, you can download it online. After that, go to Control Panel > Mouse > Pointers tab again, then click
    Browse.

Update us if it addressed your issue.

Angela Pun, Feb 11, 2019
Thema:

Invalid Pointer Operation when starting a program

1. Invalid Pointer Operation when starting a program - Similar Threads - Invalid Pointer Operation

2. wfp invalid operation

in Windows 10 Customization
    wfp invalid operation: Здравствуйте, при каком либо движение ноутбука появляется синий экран с надписью ВПП INVALID OPERATION, уже попробовал несколько способов с YouTube все обновил и драйвера Все равно ничего НЕ изменилось ноутбук Acer Aspire es1-523 Процессор AMD E1-7010 APU с графикой AMD...
  3. Programs that are supposed to run when my computer is started.

Programs that are supposed to run when my computer is started.: When I start my computer, two of my favorite programs no longer start. Why has this happened and how do I fix it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/programs-that-are-supposed-to-run-when-my-computer/72930fac-9d6e-45be-996a-1d4722782670
  4. Programs won't start when trying to run as administrator

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Programs won't start when trying to run as administrator: Hello. I have run into an interesting issue. User needs an application installed from Software Center (SCCM package is ok, since I have done this 10 times already without any issues) User is signed in and this software in questions needs to be installed by administrator....
  5. Pointer freezes on start up..............

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Pointer freezes on start up..............: When I start up my laptop, the pointer freezes. I can't go any further. If I close the laptop and reopen it, this seems to unfreeze the pointer. This just started after 5 years of use. What can I do to stop it?...
  6. pointer

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    pointer: my pointer is not displayed on my screen, I only can use touch screen https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-hardware/pointer/0ce14b07-62e9-48af-9f07-fe9ecba24c25
  7. pointer

pointer: make pointer larger https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-start-win_general/pointer/34191020-2d0a-4994-8df4-c0ba6e46e5a6
  8. Downloads error "the signature of this program is corrupt or invalid"

in Browsers and Email
    Downloads error "the signature of this program is corrupt or invalid": Hi, everything was working fine until today. Now, every download I attempt on Microsoft Edge comes up with the message "the signature of this program is corrupt or invalid". I haven't made any changes to my PC, or installed any new software, and I cannot find any solutions...
  9. Programs automatically starting when I boot

Programs automatically starting when I boot: Hi chaps, I'm having a strange problem of Internet Explorer launching automatically when I boot. Not only that but I've found my Gog Galaxy program, (a game download client) automatically start up too. In the case of Galaxy I have Launch at boot unticked. I used...
  10. Startup program starts minimized when in Tablet mode

Startup program starts minimized when in Tablet mode: Hi, I need Windows 10 to boot directly to a program. Whatever I try .vbs, .bat or just shortcut in Startup folder, it always starts minimized to task bar. When I click on the task bar it gets blown up full screen. Once I turn off the Tablet mode it starts good, maximized....