Windows 10: Invert Files to select files faster on Windows

Discus and support Invert Files to select files faster on Windows in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; When it comes to selecting files in File Explorer, Windows users have plenty of options. From left-clicking to selecting individual files to drawing a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by GHacks, Sep 23, 2022.

1. GHacks
    GHacks New Member

Invert Files to select files faster on Windows

When it comes to selecting files in File Explorer, Windows users have plenty of options. From left-clicking to selecting individual files to drawing a rectangle around files for selection. Keyboard shortcuts help further: holding down the Shift-key while left-clicking on files allows Windows users to select multiple files at once from a selection of files in the active directory.

Invert Files to select files faster on Windows windows-11-invert-selection.png

Sometimes, it may be faster to select files that you don't need and use the invert selection option of the operating system to have all files selected that you do need. A basic example where this may be faster than other methods is the following one.

Microsoft's PowerToys tools collection comes with a resize tool. It is configured by default to keep the original images and create new resized images in the same folder. If you run the operation on all images in the folder, you will notice that they remain selected after the operation. To select the resize images, you could use the invert feature as it is faster than all other options available.

Here is how you activate the invert selection feature on Windows 10 and Windows 11:

On Windows 10:

• Open the directory with files that you need to select.
    • Select the files that you do not need in the directory.
    • Select Home and then the Invert selection option.

On Windows 11:

• Open the directory in File Explorer and select the files that you do not need.
    • Select Menu > Invert selection.

In both cases, the selection of files is inverted, which means that all files that were not selected initially are now selected.

Invert selection is a useful option, but it has its shortcomings. It is always necessary to select all files that you do not want selected. While that works well if there are only a handful of those in a directory, it falls short if there are dozens or more. In this case, it may be faster to use specialized programs such as File Sieve (commercial now) or Smart Copy Tool.

Now You: do you make use of the invert option in Explorer from time to time?

Thank you for being a Ghacks reader. The post Invert Files to select files faster on Windows appeared first on gHacks Technology News.

read more...

GHacks, Sep 23, 2022
  2. slozomby Win User

Recent File List

Remove-ItemProperty -Path "Registry::HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file1

Remove-ItemProperty -Path "Registry::HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file2
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file3
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file4
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file5
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file6
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file7
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file8
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file9

you get the idea. ( too lazy to put it in a for loop and test it.

or just open regedit and remove all the fileX from that key.

slozomby, Sep 23, 2022
  3. Corrupted file RAR

If the archive has been created using WinRAR, why don't you try WinRAR itself? It has a built-in repair feature for repairing corrupted archive (ZIP as well as RAR). Follow the steps given below:
    • Open WinRAR application in your system.
    • Now click on File tab > Open or simply press Ctrl+O.
    • A small window "Find Archive" will pop up. Locate the corrupt RAR archive from your system directory and select it.
    • Now click Open button.
    • Click Tools tab > Repair archive or simply press Alt+R.
    • Again a small window "Repairing File name.rar" will pop up.
    • Now click Browse to select a location to save the repaired archive.
    • Check the box "Treat the corrupt archive as RAR" and click OK.
    • WinRAR will start repairing of corrupt RAR archive. Once it gets completed click Close.
    I hope the above steps will help you repair the corrupted RAR archive.

Thanks.

Lincoln Dunne, Sep 23, 2022
  4. dark2099 Win User

Generating a .txt based file list in Windows 7

I want to be able to generate a .txt file that lists all the files and folders in a specific folder on my PC, but don't know the name of any programs that do that. Searched on google a bit and came up with this guide, but it's for XP and I can't seem to find some of the folder options to modify the .bat file. Any suggestions? Thanks

http://www.theeldergeek.com/file_list_generator.htm

EDIT: The .bat file will do what I want if it is in the folder I want to do it in, but the option I want to add is having the right click option that it shows.

dark2099, Sep 23, 2022
Thema:

1. Invert Files to select files faster on Windows - Similar Threads - Invert Files select

2. File explorer - selecting files = opening files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File explorer - selecting files = opening files: HiI do wish you could look at the usability of various things, File Explorer being one of them. When in any of the various views, the rounded edge check boxes so bloomin' tiny!! You could use Magnifier - but it really doesn't help - if I've got two instances of Explorer...
  3. File explorer - selecting files = opening files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File explorer - selecting files = opening files: HiI do wish you could look at the usability of various things, File Explorer being one of them. When in any of the various views, the rounded edge check boxes so bloomin' tiny!! You could use Magnifier - but it really doesn't help - if I've got two instances of Explorer...
  4. File Explorer: Selecting contiguous files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Explorer: Selecting contiguous files: Tested on Lenovo and HP laptops: Windows 10 v1909 & v2004 File Explorers only very occasionally allow<select>+<Shift> to select contiguous files - a procedure which worked in previous OS versions and never officially withdrawn. Single and randomselects, work O.K.....
  5. Files selection

Files selection: Something changed with Windows and is really bugging me. I usually have my folders under list view - when selecting files, the area of the highlighted files are much wider than previously see picture below. Does anyone know how to get the old file selection back?? Thank...
  6. Is it possible to make hover to select windows faster?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Is it possible to make hover to select windows faster?: Hi. At work I use W10. Can I make selecting windows faster (near instant) by hovering the mouse? I refer to this: https://www.isunshare.com/windows-10/activate-window-by-hovering-over-it-in-windows-10.html Thanks. submitted by /u/Royaourt [link] [comments]...
  7. Files in File Explorer are not selected

in Windows 10 Customization
    Files in File Explorer are not selected: Prior the issue File Explorer kept a selected file selected. I could select a file, then open it, save etc. without having to click on the mouse. Currently folder settings in File Explorer have changed because the file I have opened is not stayed selected anymore. I have to...
  8. Selecting a file crashes File Explorer

Selecting a file crashes File Explorer: I have a presentation to do tomorrow. Because I haven't paid for any Microsoft subscriptions, I've made my presentation using Google Slides. However, as a backup, I'm trying to save the file as a .pptx to have on a flashdrive should I not have access to the internet. Thing...
  9. Copy files faster!

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Copy files faster!: Good evening, Dear Sir / Madam, I have an external HDD of 465 GB and I have 360 GB of space. Is it nice to tell me how can I copy it to internal HDD faster? I mention that I tried using the Windows 10 Home utility and it takes over 3 hours. Thank you! Wait for response! A...
  10. Page file on faster SSD

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Page file on faster SSD: I have 8GB ram with a 120GB Sata 3 SSD and several hard disk drives. Windows 10 is installed on the SSD. The page file is managed by Windows. I've added a faster 256GB PCIe 3.0 SSD. I'm mainly using this new drive for data, but should I tell Windows to put the page file on...