Windows 10: Invisible Icon on desktop turns black

Discus and support Invisible Icon on desktop turns black in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I wanted to display a brief text message on the desktop, so (cleverly) created a shortcut, then changed the title to my string and found an invisible... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by tcebob, Jan 3, 2017.

1. tcebob Win User

Invisible Icon on desktop turns black

I wanted to display a brief text message on the desktop, so (cleverly) created a shortcut, then changed the title to my string and found an invisible icon in Imageres.ico. Worked great until I restarted explorer. The invisible icon became black and would not change until I replaced it. Perhaps the invisibility of the icon cuts through the desktop image?

:)

tcebob, Jan 3, 2017
  2. sumitinku Win User

I have LENOVO B70-80, Windows 10 Home, The problem with my Laptop is when I create a New folder And Change the folder icon to the invisible icon.

<Original title: Problem with invisible icon>

I have LENOVO B70-80, Windows 10 Home, The problem with my Laptop is when I create a New folder And Change the folder icon to the invisible icon, its not
    turning to Invisible icon, it just coming as a black icon,
    How to solve this?? Please Help me as soon as possible... How to get the invisible icon??

sumitinku, Jan 3, 2017
  3. Can't create an invisible folder

Invisible Icon on desktop turns black [​IMG]

I wanted to create an invisible folder, but if I select any of 4 invisible icons it creates a folder with a black square icon.

Any idea how to fix it?

Александр Цветков, Jan 3, 2017
  4. CountMike New Member

And shows in background color. I tried that in W7 too and never worked like it used to in XP.

CountMike, Jan 3, 2017
  5. tcebob Win User
    Oh, well. I made a Stickie Stickies with no title and a color compatible with my wallpaper and it works well enough. Thanks for the comment.

tcebob, Jan 3, 2017
  6. Bree New Member
    You could do the same trick making a new folder on your desktop (which won't have the 'shortcut' arrow in the corner) unfortunately this also suffers the same 'invisible icon' problem. As this message is for info, why not use an appropriate icon instead? This one is found in shell32.dll

Bree, Jan 3, 2017
  7. tcebob Win User
    I didn't know one could change the folder icon. Last page of properties. You are right, it still shows black. Oddly, my first effort is now displaying right -- but I don't expect it to last. Questions: if normal icons have transparent areas around the symbol and do not show black boxes how come the invisible Icon does? If I edit an icon and remove the image but expand the transparent area would that work?

I'll reopen this thread.

tcebob, Jan 3, 2017
  8. CountMike New Member

When you place cursor at any desktop icon, it should show it's mask in the color of the background.

CountMike, Jan 3, 2017
  9. Edwin New Member
    There are no 'truly' invisible icons in the Windows system, you need to search the web for one.
    (I think they're created from a completely transparent bitmap image, then assigned an .ico extension, or sumpthin like that, I can't remember!)

Edwin, Jan 3, 2017
  10. PloKoon Win User
    Hi Edwin,
    I was reading through an old post about Lock Screen images and you posted screenshots of your lock screen: Lock screen background image does not appear (Anniversary Update)

It's the dark desert in 1920x1080.

I think that picture is amazing and I was wondering if you still had it and would be willing to share it. That would make my day.

Thanks!

PloKoon, Jan 4, 2017
  11. Bree New Member
    It's called 'Sands of Time'

12. PloKoon Win User
    Wow...words can't express my gratitude.

Thank you so much for this small good deed.

PloKoon, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Invisible Icon on desktop turns black - Similar Threads - Invisible Icon desktop

2. Desktop and taskbar icons are invisible

in Windows 10 Customization
    Desktop and taskbar icons are invisible: The icons on my desktop have gone completely invisible and the images on the taskbar have turned into a weird icon as per attached screenshot Some of the icons in the start bar are normal, but when the application is closed the apps return to the broken icon with the mail app...
  3. Desktop and taskbar icons are invisible

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Desktop and taskbar icons are invisible: The icons on my desktop have gone completely invisible and the images on the taskbar have turned into a weird icon as per attached screenshot Some of the icons in the start bar are normal, but when the application is closed the apps return to the broken icon with the mail app...
  4. Desktop and taskbar icons are invisible

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Desktop Icons Stuck on top of screen and invisible

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Desktop Icons Stuck on top of screen and invisible: I have searched the entire morning for an answer for the following question:https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/desktop-icons-stuck-on-top-of-screen-and-invisible/e9f13362-a204-4a6d-bde3-de4a95162295There is no answer in Microsoft community. I was able to...
  6. Invisible Icons

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Invisible Icons: Hello community,I was trying to figure out how to hide the Tray icons and, apparently, the solution involved Iconcache. Well, every icon has disappeared except for the icons on taskbar lol.As you can see in the image, icons are not invisible per se, but they are just gone...
  7. PDF icons on desktop turn into black squares

in Windows 10 Support
    PDF icons on desktop turn into black squares: Hi all. My Windows 10 Pro x64 computer (v. 10.0.19042, Build 19042) has developed an odd problem. The desktop icon for PDF files (a wallpaper image of the first page of the file), turns to black after a period of time. If I right-click on the desktop, select "Display...
  8. My desktop Icons turned invisible Need Help

My desktop Icons turned invisible Need Help: I've looked this up and none of the things i've tried have helped so i'm asking here in hope that someone can help me fix this. I will include a picture of what it looks like so that maybe someone can help me. Thanks [ATTACH]...
  9. Desktop turning black & black squres behind icons

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Desktop turning black & black squres behind icons: When I do a selection (click and drag) the space that I selected turns my desktop background black. When my cursor goes over an icon, a black square appears behind it. Also, when I drag an icon around on the desktop, all of the background turns black. All of this started...
  10. invisible icons on desktop and taskbar

invisible icons on desktop and taskbar: hello its been a 3 days that i have this problem, it happens that i used the memory diagnostic and restarted my pc then i saw they are invisible like settings or microsoft store or spotify even i have a screenshot for proof: https://gyazo.com/f15cb1398a2d2f814d96d979a6407cc9...