Windows 10: IoT: Finding a way out of the security nightmare

Discus and support IoT: Finding a way out of the security nightmare in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; The Internet of Things will bring many benefits, but it's also creating a security nightmare for which few are prepared. The horror stories have... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by Brink, Feb 29, 2016.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

IoT: Finding a way out of the security nightmare

Read more: Internet of Things: Finding a way out of the security nightmare | ZDNet

:)

Brink, Feb 29, 2016
  2. IoTGirl Win User

Windows 10 Enterprise IoT

Hi David,

Embedded Mode can be set in Windows Enterprise and Windows Mobile versions. For target options please see the definitions at

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/WindowsForBusiness/windows-iot
    From that page:

Windows 10 IoT Enterprise

Windows 10 IoT Enterprise is a full version of Windows 10 that delivers the enterprise manageability and security of Windows 10 Enterprise to IoT solutions. It is designed for powerful industry devices used in retail, manufacturing, healthcare, and other
    industries. Windows 10 IoT Enterprise runs crucial line of business applications and performs specialized functions in a secure, reliable and streamlined way to support mission-critical devices.

LEARN MORE ABOUT MANAGING AND UPDATING WINDOWS 10 IOT

*Note that Windows 10 IoT Enterprise is a binary equivalent to Windows 10 Enterprise

Windows 10 IoT Mobile

Windows 10 IoT Mobile brings the full functionality of Windows 10 Mobile to the Internet of Things. That includes instantaneous application access, native support for barcode scanning, and other peripherals, as well as enhanced productivity for a variety
    of mobile scenarios.

The Mobile Enterprise editions also offer capabilities such as ARM support, multiple user profiles, and advanced lockdown to enable scenarios across retail, healthcare, manufacturing and other vertical industries.

LEARN MORE ABOUT WINDOWS 10 IOT MOBILE

*Note that Windows 10 IoT Mobile is a binary equivalent to Windows 10 Mobile Enterprise

Windows 10 IoT Core

Windows 10 IoT Core is optimized for small-footprint, low-cost IoT devices that bring intelligence to the edge. It is designed to power purpose-built devices like gateways that enable IoT solutions. Windows 10 IoT Core also brings enterprise-grade security,
    manageability, and connectivity of Windows to a new class of devices.

Below are the steps to bring your IoT Core powered devices to life:

• Click to
      Download
      IoT Core
    • Learn more about how to create applications and build proof of concepts and leverage step-by-step instructions, sample
      code, documentation, community projects and more…
    • Ready to sell your product?
      Commercialize
      your device or
      Find
      your local distributor.

Actually, IoT Core does not have a menu, that is the default application that comes installed on the sample image from Microsoft. When you create your device you would replace that default experience with the purpose driven application for your solution.
    As for securing an IoT device, it really depends on its purpose and environment but for information on IoT Core you can find documentation at WindowsOnDevices.com. Specifically

https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/iot/docs/buildingsecuredevices

Sincerely,

IoTGirl, Feb 29, 2016
  3. Windows 10 Enterprise IoT

Hi IoTGirl,

Thank you for the help!

so IoT enterprise =
    embedded mode?

does this also have a menu like IoT core? how do I check if I'm running Iot?

And finally, do you know if any documentation exists on this process and how to secure the IoT?

Thanks,

David

DavidKochkerian, Feb 29, 2016
  4. IoT: Finding a way out of the security nightmare

I can't believe that it has taken this long for so-called tech types to see that IoT is an existential threat to Democracy and Personal Liberty:
    • Republicans will use it to hunt down Democrats
    • Democrats will use it to hunt down Republicans
    • Paedophiles and Stalkers will use it against their victims
    • Criminals and Terrorists will use it against everyone

Any and all breaches must be punished by "existential" fines against the BoD of the companies responsible (i.e. forfeiture of all assets and jail, unless they can prove that it was caused by external interference).

lehnerus2000, Mar 1, 2016
  5. Cr00zng Win User
    The same could be said for operating systems and networks in general. From the dawn of the digital age, the lack of built-in security had been constant, impacting every aspect of our life. Weather we are off or on the "grid", the impact is the same.

IoT just follows the established pattern. Convenience, ease of use and "coolness" had always overrode security, why is that news now? Most, if not all of the security vulnerabilities are related network protocols and programming errors. IPv6 doesn't offer much help and it's doubtful, if programming errors will disappear anytime soon. Based on their past history, these vulnerabilities are here to stay. Be that OS, applications, networks protocols, it does not seem to matter if the latest implementation called Windows 10, OSX, Linux "any distros", Bluetooth, IoT, etc... Security patches are the fact of life...

Cr00zng, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

IoT: Finding a way out of the security nightmare

1. IoT: Finding a way out of the security nightmare - Similar Threads - IoT Finding security

2. WINDOWS NIGHTMARE

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    WINDOWS NIGHTMARE: I installed a new gen 4 SSD and changed my motherboard, which began my worst day ever in the past decade. Windows is refusing to boot, stating that my PC can't start properly. The PC refuses to boot with the new NVME drive installed. It works fine when I take it out. I tried...
  3. OneDrive Nightmare

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    OneDrive Nightmare: It is a sad day in the world when the memoirs and articles one writes, on their personal computer, cannot even be saved privately on their very own personal computer. OneDrive makes it impossible to privately save your own documents in the way you see most fitting on your...
  4. Nightmare

in Windows 10 Customization
    Nightmare: My Settings is not working it opens blank, my Windows Update has disappeared and all my update history is gone. Any devices connected t my USB are not recognised. I rarely use my laptop but on opening yesterday, its been hell. I have no idea what else to do other than throw...
  5. Any way to find out what the updates are about?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Any way to find out what the updates are about?: I'd like to know what the updates are for. Is there any way to find out? You'd think the notification feature in Windows 10 would tell you what the last update did or at least that your computer was restarted, but nothing there. submitted by /u/ConcentricGroove [link]...
  6. Is there a way to find out which key was used for activation?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Is there a way to find out which key was used for activation?: Is there a way to find out which key was used for activation? I have done testing with insider programs. I also tested this with my windows 7 oem install, I rolled the oem back to windows 7. I also used a windows 7 retail version to also upgrade to windows 10. This way I...
  7. Win 10 Backup Nightmare - I Cant Find A Way To Restore ISO (fat32) usb

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Win 10 Backup Nightmare - I Cant Find A Way To Restore ISO (fat32) usb: I have a Dell 5749 laptop. I got the free upgrade to win10. I am about to sell the laptop and so i done a completely fresh install including all the drivers. I then did a windows image backup which is about 17gb. A while ago i formatted the hard drive and so there is no...
  8. Way to find out what activated my cmd window?

in Windows 10 Support
    Way to find out what activated my cmd window?: I had just logged on to the Internet today and was getting ready to start "surfing" and my CMD window came up and closed before I could read what was activating it. Any way to see a log history of CMD windows? I want to know what it was. I don't like this.... could be...
  9. Photos nightmare.....

in Windows 10 Support
    Photos nightmare.....: Hi folks ....have been successfully transferring pics from my camera(s) since days of '98....and now problems arise! TWINUI has now crept in as my pic viewer of choice. I managed to restore photo viewer (using these pages).....but believe that I now require Gallery...
  10. Building Secure Apps for Windows IoT Core

in Windows 10 News
    Building Secure Apps for Windows IoT Core: Secure communication in the cloud normally involves the following: Data encryption: hiding what is sent Data integrity: protecting data from being tampered with Authentication: validating the identity of the parties in the communication Using a cryptographic protocol...