Windows 10: Ipconfig/renew returns cannot connect to DHCP request timed out

Discus and support Ipconfig/renew returns cannot connect to DHCP request timed out in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Lost ethernet connectivity with my HP Pavilion running windows 10 about 2 days ago. Tried the network reset option but yielded zero results.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by JoesphCasson, Dec 13, 2019.

1. Ipconfig/renew returns cannot connect to DHCP request timed out

Lost ethernet connectivity with my HP Pavilion running windows 10 about 2 days ago. Tried the network reset option but yielded zero results. Ipconfig/flushdns followed by /release worked but upon using ipconfig/renew I get the message in the subject line. Laptop was purchased new in 2014. I believe this to be a hardware issue, just looking for confirmation or other ideas.

:)

JoesphCasson, Dec 13, 2019
  2. DRN2018 Win User

Cannot ipconfig /renew

Whenever I try to ipconfig /renew (after ipconfig /release), it takes a long time and then it says that "An error occurred while renewing interface Npcap Loopback Adapter: unable to contact your DHCP server. Request has been timed out" Any suggestions
    on how to fix this?

DRN2018, Dec 13, 2019
  3. Side effects of releasing/renewing IP addresses?

There is a fairly well know security package that is causing some users problems on Win 10 AU - browser connections get blocked. (Other TCP/IP connectivity is unaffected - just browsers.) A user of the product found that releasing and renewing DHCP-provided IP address - i.e., doing "ipconfig /release" followed by ipconfig /renew"" temporarily fixes the problem. Can someone explain to me what doing a release/renew does to Windows such that a program - even a program with deeply embedded hooks - would even know this has happened.

Obviously the computer will get a new IP address from DHCP. (Which, for many DHCP servers, will likely be the same as the old one.) If it gets a new address, will this make Windows switch it's network profile from "Private" to "Guest or Public"? (I know the security package will see that.)

And a few more questions relating to /release and /renew but unrelated to the problem:
    I see there are IPv6 versions of /release and /renew. Does that mean that /release and /renew apply to only IPv4 addresses, or do those commands apply to both IPv4 and IPv6? If only IPv4, is there a way to release and renew all addresses? The DHCP server supplied a list of DNS servers as part of the DHCP handshake. Does the release and renew process also renew the list of DNS servers? If so, is there the same division of IPv4 and IPv6?

pokeefe0001, Dec 13, 2019
  4. Ipconfig/renew returns cannot connect to DHCP request timed out

DHCP renewal of IP address with ISP denied

It seems the DHCP server function on your NetGear router is not working properly, unless there's some router
    setting that requires it to act as it does. You'd best get into the router admin pages and check for that. If there's
    no explanation to be had there, you could just disable the DHCP function entirely, and set up the router and your
    computers to use a fixed IP.

I myself used to have a very similar NetGear router, and its DHCP function was similarly borked, i.e. it would
    never renew an IP lease.There were no settings
    whatever in the router management that concerned its DHCP function, other than to turn it on or off.

Having a DHCP renewal request denied should not affect the internet connectivity of any client, except perhaps very
    very briefly when the machine finally has to request that a new IP lease be assigned.

Incidentally, none of this has anything to do with your ISP.

kreemoweet, Dec 13, 2019
Thema:

Ipconfig/renew returns cannot connect to DHCP request timed out

1. Ipconfig/renew returns cannot connect to DHCP request timed out - Similar Threads - Ipconfig renew returns

2. Ran the command "ipconfig /release" and then "ipconfig /renew" but renew will not work and...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Ran the command "ipconfig /release" and then "ipconfig /renew" but renew will not work and...: I have a Dell Inspiron 15 7000 laptop with Windows 11 and is all up to date. I was running commands in Powershell 7 ran as admin for a class assignment and one was to run ipconfig /release and then ipconfig /renew, however, renew did not work and is saying my media is...
  3. Ran the command "ipconfig /release" and then "ipconfig /renew" but renew will not work and...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Ran the command "ipconfig /release" and then "ipconfig /renew" but renew will not work and...: I have a Dell Inspiron 15 7000 laptop with Windows 11 and is all up to date. I was running commands in Powershell 7 ran as admin for a class assignment and one was to run ipconfig /release and then ipconfig /renew, however, renew did not work and is saying my media is...
  4. None of my devices can connect to the Wifi after I ipconfig/release ipconfig/renew to solve...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    None of my devices can connect to the Wifi after I ipconfig/release ipconfig/renew to solve...: After trying everything to solve an issue with discord I did ipconfig/release ipconfig/renew and now I cant connect to my wifi as it does not find the ip adress...
  5. Request timed out

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Request timed out: Each website I visited I got this error message but when I browse using different device it works fine without problem. I remember I made a system restore on the device but couple of days ago I was able to use the computer properly. I have LAN connection. I tried to...
  6. Request timed out

Request timed out: Each website I visited I got this error message but when I browse using different device it works fine without problem. I remember I made a system restore on the device but couple of days ago I was able to use the computer properly. I have LAN connection. I tried to...
  7. FIXED: ipconfig /renew returns Unable to Contact DHCP Server. DHCP Access Denied. A million...

FIXED: ipconfig /renew returns Unable to Contact DHCP Server. DHCP Access Denied. A million...: Hello I've recently changed ISPs and my ISP is telling me that everything is configured in their end but I still have Unidentified Network and running a diagnose says "Ethernet doesn't have a valid IP configuration". To solve this I found online that maybe running ipconfig...
  8. ipconfig /renew returns Unable to Contact DHCP Server. DHCP Access Denied. A million errors...

ipconfig /renew returns Unable to Contact DHCP Server. DHCP Access Denied. A million errors...: Hello I've recently changed ISPs and my ISP is telling me that everything is configured in their end but I still have Unidentified Network and running a diagnose says "Ethernet doesn't have a valid IP configuration". To solve this I found online that maybe running ipconfig...
  9. Request timed out

Request timed out: Hi, please help when i'm using any wifi, it's not stable at all and when i ping with CMD ( ping riot.de -t ) i get requested timed out each 4 secs continiously (riot.de is a League of legends game server, it works perfectly almost at anytime) same issue with google.com or...
  10. IPConfig /release and /renew throughout network

IPConfig /release and /renew throughout network: Hi, I apologise if this problem has been solved anywhere. I did do a search for it but there didn't seem to be any complete solutions as far as I could see. Around a week ago, a colleague's computer would not connect to the internet (although was connected to the...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. time out when ipcofnog renrw