Windows 10: iPhone 11 not appearing in file explorer or Photos app

Discus and support iPhone 11 not appearing in file explorer or Photos app in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I've been trying everything I can find online for a few hours now - totally frustrated. I have a new laptop with Windows 10 less than 6 weeks old and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Hildreth, May 19, 2020.

1. Hildreth Win User

iPhone 11 not appearing in file explorer or Photos app

I've been trying everything I can find online for a few hours now - totally frustrated. I have a new laptop with Windows 10 less than 6 weeks old and wanted to download the photos off the phone onto the laptop.

Initially I could "see" the phone in File Explorer but I couldn't get the photos to all "cut and paste" over to the computer. Nor could I import them in the Photos app it would just freeze after counting 2,100 photos.

Now I can no longer see the phone at all but when I connect it via iTunes, it's there - and when I plug/unplug it, there is a chime in File Explorer or the Device Manager.

I've tried 4 different cables including the USB C one that comes with the iPhone 11.

Since it doesn't appear, I can't check drivers, etc.

HELP!

:)

Hildreth, May 19, 2020

2. IPhone doesn't appear in file explorer in win 10

Windows+E does not list my iPhone.

My iPhone is connected to my HP computer by USB cable - but File Explorer doesn't recognise the iPhone connection.

This means I cannot transfer photos from the phone to the computer.

How do I proceed?

NEVILLETHOMAS, May 19, 2020
  3. Javo Win User
    iPhone Photos import to Windows 10 PC not working

I would like to troubleshoot my inability to import photos from iPhone to Windows 10. I am an advanced user struggling to find relevant help on the internet since most results are unusable masked adverts for paid third party software.

I want to use it the following way

1. connect iPhone via USB to my Windows 10 PC
    2. open Microsoft "Photos" app
    3. click in the upper right on import > add from the device over USB
    4. select all photos and click import

4th step is where it fails, with no usable message.

• I have set the device as trusted on iPhone
    • I mostly don't see it in My Computer, therefore I cannot just copy
    • I tried uninstalling every driver and iTunes software
    • Despite not being visible in Windows Explorer, iTunes can always access the contents with no issue
    • it has a tiny moments when it starts working, but overall import fails sooner or later and never copies all 3k photos. Mostly MSPhotos don't show any content, just failure message, sometimes it shows it's content and acts as I can select what to import, but as described fails sooner or later
    • iTunes can successfully copy entire phone.

Other attempts
    • I tried multiple free 3rd party SW, all of them either failed or seemed like to be usable only after buying their extended version
    • I tried using iTunes for Syncing the Photos
      • I maybe don't know how to use it, or it is faulty too. But I've set the directory where my Photos should be synced, but sync seems to just backup the phone and creates tiny 'Photo Database file', but no photo actually gets copied onto PC.

4. iPhone 11 not appearing in file explorer or Photos app

iPhone photos to Windows 10 on Vaio

Hi,

We appreciate you for being a part of Windows 10.

As you are not able to import the entire photos through Photos app, I suggest you to refer to the below articles and check if it helps.

Import photos and videos from your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch to your Mac or Windows PC

Transfer photos and videos from your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

If you can't import photos from your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch to your computer

If you can't import photos from your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch to your computer

You may also follow the below steps and check if it help you to import the photos from the iPhone.

• Connect your iPhone to your Windows 10 PC using the USB cable provided by Apple. Check your iPhone screen now and a notification with “Trust” option will appear. Choose “Trust” option to continue.
    • Open Windows File Explorer. Press the Windows + E keys on the keyboard to open File explorer
    • Under “This PC”, you should see your iPhone as a drive. Double-click the icon for your iPhone here. Now you may have the access to your photos/folders in your iPhone.
    • Photos and videos taken on your iPhone should now be visible. Then you can select the photos to transfer them to Windows 10.
    I hope the above information helps. Kindly let us know if you need any further assistance with Windows. We are glad to assist you.

Thank you.

Kiran Kishore, May 19, 2020
Thema:

iPhone 11 not appearing in file explorer or Photos app

1. iPhone 11 not appearing in file explorer or Photos app - Similar Threads - iPhone appearing file

2. Unable to open photos from iPhone with File Explorer on Laptop for Microsoft Photo app

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to open photos from iPhone with File Explorer on Laptop for Microsoft Photo app: Unable to open photos from iPhone with File Explorer on Laptop for Microsoft Photo appFrom previous questions and replies it appears Microsoft was aware of this issue back in 2021 and were looking for fix as many other people reported the same issues, i am having the same...
  3. Unable to open photos from iPhone with File Explorer on Laptop for Microsoft Photo app

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to open photos from iPhone with File Explorer on Laptop for Microsoft Photo app: Unable to open photos from iPhone with File Explorer on Laptop for Microsoft Photo appFrom previous questions and replies it appears Microsoft was aware of this issue back in 2021 and were looking for fix as many other people reported the same issues, i am having the same...
  4. Windows 11 Photos App Import iPhone Photos Problems

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 Photos App Import iPhone Photos Problems: The Photos app on Windows 11 seems to lack any basic sort or filter capabilities when I try to import Photos and Videos from my iPhone 14 Pro Max.Your Photos app wants to import every single photo and video from the beginning of time. They are ALL marked as "new". They are...
  5. Windows 11 Photos App Import iPhone Photos Problems

Windows 11 Photos App Import iPhone Photos Problems: The Photos app on Windows 11 seems to lack any basic sort or filter capabilities when I try to import Photos and Videos from my iPhone 14 Pro Max.Your Photos app wants to import every single photo and video from the beginning of time. They are ALL marked as "new". They are...
  6. Unable to open or copy photos from iPhone with File Explorer or Photos app

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Unable to open or copy photos from iPhone with File Explorer or Photos app: Since early August 2021 I'm unable to view photos on the iPhone with Windows photo app or windows file explorer. I can see the thumbnails on the computer but they won't open or let me save them to the PC. Have been copying photos from phone to pc for years without trouble....
  7. Photo app imports for iphone 11

Photo app imports for iphone 11: When I import photos from my iphone to my surface book using the phot app I typically use the "import since last" setting. However, I currently have about 100 photos that the app does not recognize as previously imported, although I have confirmed in folders on my Surface...
  8. Photos app, and or file explorer

Photos app, and or file explorer: This drive me crazy and I have always been pretty good with the computer. This one has me beat though. If I take a photo at 7:59 pm and another one at 8:01pm they will go to different folders on my PC. The one from 7:59 will go to a folder created with that days date. For...
  9. Photos suddenly not appearing in File Explorer

Photos suddenly not appearing in File Explorer: I regularly transfer photos from my iPhone to my PC, which runs on Windows 10. Photos are transferred using Microsoft Photos and then immediately appear in File Explorer in files according to month and year. However, as of 2/15/19, my photos can no longer be found in File...
  10. Hidden files appear in photo app

in Windows 10 Support
    Hidden files appear in photo app: I have hidden photo files that automatically appear on my photo app. How do I hide these? 25381