Windows 10: iPhone and iPad don't update on USB 2 port update fine on USB 3 port

Discus and support iPhone and iPad don't update on USB 2 port update fine on USB 3 port in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Why would an iOS update fail when normal iOS sync-type operations continue to work just fine? And why does using a USB 3 port for those iOS updates... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by x509, Aug 31, 2019.

1. x509 Win User

iPhone and iPad don't update on USB 2 port update fine on USB 3 port

Why would an iOS update fail when normal iOS sync-type operations continue to work just fine? And why does using a USB 3 port for those iOS updates work without problem?

I recently had to update my iPad and iPhone to iOS 12.4. No big deal,I've done those updates lots of times already. I have an Apple cable plugged into my Dell monitor, a USB 2 port. I've used that port for years, no problems updating the iOS. However, for both iPhone and iPad, the 12.4 updates failed. With my iPhone, I spent about 30 minutes on the phone with Apple support. What worked was using a different Apple cable plugged into a USB 3 port.

After this issue with my iPhone, I have continued to do normal sync-type operations with both devices to update Calendar, Contacts, move photos, etc. No issues there. But when the same issue happened last night with my iPad, I moved that original Apple cable to a USB 3 port. No problems doing the iOS update.

So I determined that the issue was the USB 2 port, not the Apple cable. The USB 2 port is in my Dell U24xx monitor, and Windows sees that monitor as a generic uPnP display. The monitor has a USB hub, and I have a USB cable connecting the monitor and a USB 2 port on the back of my motherboard.

:)

2. Astrix_au Win User

Update KB4015438 broke all my USB 2 ports on my motherboard. USB 3 are fine.

Hi all,

I have windows 10 set up to defer updates and I noticed that there was a update that needed a restart. After the restart my mouse wasn't working I then realised that all the 4 black USB 2 ports on the back of my motherboard were not working any more. The
    6 blue USB 3 ports are fine thankfully.

The update that caused the issue was the following;

Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1607 for x64-based Systems (KB4015438)

iPhone and iPad don't update on USB 2 port update fine on USB 3 port 2c9dc1e7-40a4-4011-8328-ba8117c1b4a5.jpg

I checked my Motherboard BIOS and all the ports are enabled as normal.

Looking in Device Manager I got the following error.

iPhone and iPad don't update on USB 2 port update fine on USB 3 port ee604d54-9de6-40df-9dbe-c475293dbfec.jpg

I tried updating the driver but that didn't help and also uninstalled and reinstalled the driver sadly that didn't help either.

For now I can move my mouse and TrackIR to the USB 3 ports and I have another 4 working USB ports on the front of my case 2x USB 3 and 2x USB 2.

Anyone else experience this?

At the time of the update I had the following things plugged into the USB ports that no longer work;

1. TrackIR 5

2. Thrusmaster T.16000M Joystick

3. Razer Mamba 2012 Mouse

4. Astro A50 Mix Amp

Hopefully uninstalling the update will fix the issue as it happened after the update.

System

• Custom built PC
    • Windows 10 64bit
    • ASUS Maximus VI Formula - BIOS 1603
    • i7 4770K @ 4.5Ghz
    • MSI R9 Fury X
    • Crimson Edition ReLive - 17.3.3
    • Kingston HyperX 16GB 16000mhz (2x 8GB)
    • Benq XL2730Z, 1440x2560p, 144hz, Freesync
    • Seasonic 1000w 80 plus Platnum

Thanks

Astrix_au, Aug 31, 2019
  3. spapakons Win User
    USB Port Oddities

Ok, let's see it with pictures step-by-step. First right-click on the USB device and select Update driver software:

iPhone and iPad don't update on USB 2 port update fine on USB 3 port [​IMG]

Then select Browse my computer for driver software (LAST option) :

The select Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer (LAST option) :

Then select the standard driver from the list and click next:

Click next/OK as required to complete installation. Repeat the steps for all Intel USB devices. Finally click on each USB root device and press DEL to delete it, reply YES when asked. After deleting all USB root devices restart the computer.

I hope this is detailed enough...

spapakons, Aug 31, 2019
  4. iPhone and iPad don't update on USB 2 port update fine on USB 3 port

USB 2 port not working

I downloaded from hp and reinstalled the Intel chipset drivers, still the USB 2 port doesnt work. The board has the ethernet, USB 2 & 3 ports, and a SDHC port, all work except for the USB 2. I ordered a new board for $8, and will try that, but the solder
    connections on the board to the USB 2 port looked fine. This problem initially happened about 2 months after I bought the computer and never went further with it because the 2 USB 3 ports have been able to handle all I need, but now I need another port.

Jerry De La Cruz, Aug 31, 2019
Thema:

iPhone and iPad don't update on USB 2 port update fine on USB 3 port

1. iPhone and iPad don't update on USB 2 port update fine on USB 3 port - Similar Threads - iPhone iPad don't

2. All USB 3 ports are not working. USB 2 are working.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    All USB 3 ports are not working. USB 2 are working.: All USB 3 ports are not working. USB 2 are working. Its not bios because I am dual booting another windows drive on same computer and there is no problem on that drive. I have tried all power mgmt and driver un/installs but nothing is changed. So I suspect something in...
  3. All USB 3 ports are not working. USB 2 are working.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    All USB 3 ports are not working. USB 2 are working.: All USB 3 ports are not working. USB 2 are working. Its not bios because I am dual booting another windows drive on same computer and there is no problem on that drive. I have tried all power mgmt and driver un/installs but nothing is changed. So I suspect something in...
  4. All USB 3 ports are not working. USB 2 are working.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Usb ports don't work

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Usb ports don't work: It was a problem a few days ago with my old pc what i am about to sell. I got to a service and now it worked. But i wanted to reinstall the windowsto sell and now its the language selectionfirst step and its not working. My keyboard and mouse is lighting but there is no...
  6. Usb ports don't work

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Usb ports don't work: It was a problem a few days ago with my old pc what i am about to sell. I got to a service and now it worked. But i wanted to reinstall the windowsto sell and now its the language selectionfirst step and its not working. My keyboard and mouse is lighting but there is no...
  7. Usb ports don't work

8. usb 3 ports not detected

usb 3 ports not detected: we have 2 dell vostro 3750 laptops after update one installed renesas usb3 drivers automatically but the other did not ?usb 3 ports no longer work.strange https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/usb-3-ports-not-detected/1bd5883f-46a3-4d4d-be0b-343b85d272a2
  9. USB Ports don't work.

USB Ports don't work.: Hello, today my USB ports stopped working and no mouses work on it, I have tried updating the drivers and uninstalling them but it still doesn't work, I have Windows 10 on an Acer Aspire A515-54. Thanks in advance....
  10. USB ports don't work

USB ports don't work: Good afternoon. My laptop has stopped recognizing any device that connects to the USB ports. The message that he doesn't recognize it doesn't even come out...